• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with sound replacing (ghost characters)

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
I am trying to replace both Ganondorf and Mario's voices to make them match their Melee incarnations; however, whenever I replace them all and test them out in-game, not only are their voices replace with just silence, but EVERY sound effect related to them is silenced as well. This includes the sounds made by Ganon's down-B and Mario's neutral-B. Basically, they become reminiscent of ghost characters. This makes very little sense to me, reasons being is that I replaced their sounds in the exact same method I did for Link, and Link works perfectly fine; Melee voice and everything.

I used Jaklubs' Sawndz v.12 to replace all their voices. I never touched their sound effects files, only their voices. I even made sure to check their voice files in BrawlBox to confirm that the sounds play properly (in which case they do; no silence, no deformities, nothing). Everything works properly; except for when I boot up the game and try playing the characters. Nothing but pure silence for the characters in question.

Note that I am using Riivolution, and the SD card in question is an 8GB SDHC.

I have a feeling it might be related to smashbros_sound.brsar increasing in file size (it's at 104,888 KB ATM), so it doesn't play the offending files to avoid fatal crashing or something. Help with this would be much appreciated, as I reeeeeeeeally prefer Mario and Ganon's Melee voices over their Brawl ones.

plz

agoaj

Smash Cadet
Use Super Sawndz, it will show you how big each folder is getting. General rule is to keep it under 0xDDDDDD, which Super Sawndz will alert you to.

If it's over the size, you might be able to bring it down by replacing some sounds with blank.wav, included in both versions of Sawndz.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
I finally got around to doing this, and I managed to get both Mario's and Ganon's folders away from red alert status as Super Sawndz was telling me (as in, they are both of proper size), but when I loaded it up in-game, they are still completely silent. Do I need to compress even further, or is there some other step I'm completely missing?

agoaj

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the red is just an estimate that works for most groups. If it's still not loading you've got to remove some things/ compress some things.

I find sounds over 22 KHz to take up too much space, but only go 16 KHz if you're desperate for space.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
I managed to get Mario's sounds to work after replacing a bunch of junk sounds with "empty.wav," just as you said. Now I just need to get Ganon to work, but its difficult because nearly all of the sounds he has you hear at times, and those sound just so happen to be large...

Anyway, thank you so much for your help, I never even knew that character folders had size limits until right now.

I GOT IT WORKING YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Top Bottom