• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeetZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeetZ_AgaiN
3DS FC
1864-9859-2090
So I've been playing Sonic for about six months now, and I would like to say that I have quite a good grasp of the character. I can destroy my friends, for glory (lol for glory), but when I enter tournaments I typically don't do too well. Recently it seems like my skills have stagnated and I haven't been doing so hot utilizing the blue blur. I suppose what I am asking is help in pushing my skill even more, but with such a small pool of Smash 4 players in my area it is rather difficult, but I am willing to try anything if it means I'll become a better Sonic and/or Smash player in general. Thank you.

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
Well, when you go to tournaments, take notes on your playstyle and what your opponent does. Disect the gameplay. Who do you have a harder time agianst, what is your best stage, what is your worst stage, find that out. Also take part in friendlies or if you want, money matches (don't do this a lot and don't risk too much), and ask for advice on how to improve.

Another thing is to try out Anther's Ladder. You can apply a lot of the things I mentioned above as well here.

KeetZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeetZ_AgaiN
3DS FC
1864-9859-2090
I'm sorry, but Anther's Ladder?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, for starters, getting better comes with playing the game more. But playing it the right way... That means no more lv. 9 CPUs and less For Glory. Playing the game casually at first doesn't hurt, as I'd recommend playing all the characters in the game to get a basic understanding of them. Just getting a grip of the game, mechanics, and characters on a basic level will do you wonders.

Testing things on your own, researching characters on the boards, and learning the strengths and weaknesses of them will help, but putting it into practice is key, which is best done by going to tournaments, which means you'll probably lose a lot at first.

But it's important to learn fundamentals, overall fighting game mindsets, Smash specific mechanics, and more. There's a lot that can go into it, so my advice is to study a lot online, play a lot, and compete a lot. That's all there is to it.

It even helps playing not just other characters, or other Smash games, but playing different fighting games entirely to or at least attempt to understand them to get an understanding of basics like spacing, approaching, footsies, etc.

Anther's Ladder is a matchmaking site online. Giving it a quick google search should get you there.

I will be locking this thread as this is more general tournament advice and doesn't address necessarily the exact problems you're encountering to specifically better your Sonic. If you have more questions, ask in my FAQ thread, but make sure you read our stickies in full first to get a start on learning Sonic.

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom