• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems finishing Dancing Blades.

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
Hello Marthboards!

I have a brief question about Marth's (Lucina's and Roy's too) Dancing Blade. Commonly when using it, I can't seem to finish it off. I sometimes get the first few swings but can't execute the final one and sometimes I get stuck on swing one. This seems to sometimes occur when the opponent pops out but sometimes the move quits while they are easily hit-able. No matter how hard I spam side B or what angle I Dancing Blade in, I seem to have this issue more times than not having it when using the move.

Could someone explain to me thoroughly how this move works and what I should do.

Thanks in advance.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
You are supposed to time each button press so that you do the full dancing blade. Don't mash the button. Try counting from 1 to 4 and then press the button every time you count a number.

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
You are supposed to time each button press so that you do the full dancing blade. Don't mash the button. Try counting from 1 to 4 and then press the button every time you count a number.
Hmmmmm... so there is a certain timing for each like a pattern? Is it specific? I will go test this right now. Thanks for the reply!

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The timing window of a single hit starts shortly after the hitboxes are inactive and continues until the end lag is nearly over. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and everybody has made these mistakes (it's how often you make them that determines your DB mastery). The common mistake is that you inputted it too early - where you pressed B during the hitlag of the attack rather than when/after they're launched. And when nothing happens you press it again but either the window is no longer open or the move is ending and you buffered another special attack. The game also doesn't let you spam B; you can only do that with the Effortless Blade custom move.

So hitlag are freeze frames when an attack hits (like what you see on tipper Fsmash, but less duration so harder to notice). It's why you can Dancing Blade much faster without hitting anyone than you can when it is hitting. No hitlag to slow it down. So when you account for hitlag, you'll see that you're doing it right more often.

Another issue is if one of the attacks miss (DB2-forward often goes right under their feet), that throws off the entire timing because that hitlag wasn't there.

Lastly, this may not sound believable, but sometimes your finger doesn't press B hard enough or correctly and you miss that way. Trust me on this one. You don't notice it but it happens.

Last edited:

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
The timing window of a single hit starts shortly after the hitboxes are inactive and continues until the end lag is nearly over. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and everybody has made these mistakes (it's how often you make them that determines your DB mastery). The common mistake is that you inputted it too early - where you pressed B during the hitlag of the attack rather than when/after they're launched. And when nothing happens you press it again but either the window is no longer open or the move is ending and you buffered another special attack. The game also doesn't let you spam B; you can only do that with the Effortless Blade custom move.

So hitlag are freeze frames when an attack hits (like what you see on tipper Fsmash, but less duration so harder to notice). It's why you can Dancing Blade much faster without hitting anyone than you can when it is hitting. No hitlag to slow it down. So when you account for hitlag, you'll see that you're doing it right more often.

Another issue is if one of the attacks miss (DB2-forward often goes right under their feet), that throws off the entire timing because that hitlag wasn't there.

Lastly, this may not sound believable, but sometimes your finger doesn't press B hard enough or correctly and you miss that way. Trust me on this one. You don't notice it but it happens.
This is very informative, thanks!

Top Bottom