• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with spiking Lucas

SilentDeadbolt

Smash Cadet
Earlier today I was messing around with Marth playing against a Lucas and when I tried to spike him out of his up b I would hit him but he would still be able to up b almost immediately afterwards. At first I thought it was a meteor cancel (I know that Marth's spike isn't a meteor but is a true spike which is why it didn't make sense to me) but I managed to recreate the scenario and what happens is you spike Lucas but usually you hit him into PK thunder 2's projectile and he goes towards the stage anyways. I don't know if this is intended by the PMDT but regardless at least for now everyone should know that spiking Lucas out of his up B isn't really a good option. For now all you can do is try to spike him before he starts his up B or try to Fair/bair him out of it. I was doing this to Lucas when he was around 70% so it's not like the spike shouldn't have killed normally. I did this against a computer first and to make sure it wasn't a meteor cancel I got one of my friends to play Lucas and the same thing happened.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
This can be annoying indeed. I always try to edgeguard Lucas with the "Keep them somehow offstage" mentality, not caring if I need one spike or 10 fairs, and that seems to work well if you react well and chose the correct interference point (aggressive chasing, attack after ledgegrab, attack from on the stage) all the time. But messups are costly with that sort of edgeguarding.

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
You've already found out what's causing this. Basically against Ness and Lucas if you hit them out of their up b it can still hit them. Easiest way to edgeguard Ness is to be above him right before/as he uses PK thunder to absorb the hit. For Lucas it's tricky. Your best bet would probably be to intercept him and push him far enough away to where he has to attempt to go for the ledge. Get ledge invincibility right as he's flying towards you and then ledge hop a down air to spike him.

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
Earlier today I was messing around with Marth playing against a Lucas and when I tried to spike him out of his up b I would hit him but he would still be able to up b almost immediately afterwards. At first I thought it was a meteor cancel (I know that Marth's spike isn't a meteor but is a true spike which is why it didn't make sense to me) but I managed to recreate the scenario and what happens is you spike Lucas but usually you hit him into PK thunder 2's projectile and he goes towards the stage anyways. I don't know if this is intended by the PMDT but regardless at least for now everyone should know that spiking Lucas out of his up B isn't really a good option. For now all you can do is try to spike him before he starts his up B or try to Fair/bair him out of it. I was doing this to Lucas when he was around 70% so it's not like the spike shouldn't have killed normally. I did this against a computer first and to make sure it wasn't a meteor cancel I got one of my friends to play Lucas and the same thing happened.
How to explain this. When Lucas Up-b's the Pk thunder leaves a trail of hitboxes. For some reason they save Lucas more often than Ness. But the only way to spike him would be after PK thunder 2 activates. You know you hit hem into the PK thunder when he bounces up. The trail leaves no hitstun and lets him Up-b again immediately

Last edited:
Top Bottom