• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem When Fast-Falling Moves

aStew

Smash Rookie
Hello. I've been somewhat new to competitive melee (about a year now), spectating and trying to play, and whenever I practice SHFFLing on Captain Falcon, I have this big problem. I always fast fall before the hit-box of the aerial even comes out. Is there any advice or other option to prevent this from constantly happening?

Edit: and yeah, I created my SmashBoards account today, so any advice in general is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Razzor

Smash Rookie
I had to switch how I input aerials completely to make this stop happening. I changed how my right hand is oriented so i shorthop with x using my index finger and use the c-stick immediately with my thumb and use my left hand to fast fall and l-cancel. I originally would move my thumb from x to c-stick and i was not getting them out quick enough. Now my aerials look very nice and quick.

I'm not sure if that is an unconventional way of doing it, but I cannot use A to do my aerials in melee.

Last edited:

Coyle

Smash Cadet
When trying to get SHFFLing down, it's easiest to break it down. First get comfortable short-hopping. Some people use X, others use Y, it doesn't really matter. Just don't use the analog stick, since it'll make things more difficult than they need to be.

Next get comfortable short-hopping and L-cancelling aerials (without fast falling). This will help you get used to the timing that the aerials come out, and what it looks/feels like when they are successfully L-cancelled. Some people use analog direction + A, some use analog direction + Z, and others use the C-stick. Again, it's mostly down to preference, but I find it a lot easier to use the C-stick the majority of the time. It allows me to do things like throw out a knee while going backwards, b-air when going forwards, and SHFFL stomps more consistently. I will say that for instant up-airs/knee/b-air, I use analog + A. You don't have to be tethered to one method. Don't forget to practice L-cancelling aerials from full hop too! On level ground throw out the aerials at different heights; know which aerial's hitboxes can come out when you're only "X" feet from landing. Full hop --> aerial --> L-cancel --> land on platform is also very useful. You'll notice that on some stages Falcon can full hop aerial and land on the top platform, and on others he can't.

Finally, bring it all together into the SHFFL. A common issue is throwing out the aerial too late, or fast falling too quickly. If you find yourself doing either, forget about L-cancelling and just get the timing for the aerials/fast-falling down. Work in the L-cancelling afterwards.

Top Bottom