• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Tippers - Handling dash attk/grab

DariusM27

Smash Ace
So, playing as Marth can sometimes feel like a matador in a bull fight, but the bull can dash attack faster than your eyes and reflexes can handle. Marth gets absolutely destroyed by dash attacks and dash grabs. The important thing to remember is that Marth does have to tools to keep himself from getting attacked or grabbed, but to use them successfully, you have to be in your opponent's head.
I will list the strategies I use to shut down the opponent's dash game, and force them to fight me at Marth's range. Starting with which strategies I think are most effective, and then including ones I find less effective.

Most Effective/safe
I. Jump backwards (with and optional air dodge) and if the opponent whiffed their approach, proceed to nair, dancing blade, or fair. If they still haven't approached, prepare to combat another approach attempt. If you land nair1, you can easily string it into up b on just about everyone, but can also string into everything else, even tipper Fsmash (I land this constantly at mid to high percents).

II. Optional suggestion, use shield as bait. Shield to bait a dash grab attempt. Wait for just a moment. When you are pretty sure they are about to begin taking the bait, or when they've begun to approach and are getting near you, jump towards them out of shield and air dodge right away. Jumping towards them with airdodge as they approach gives you a great positional advantage. As their dash approach passes by you, you can then do a bair or dancing blade after the airdodge.

III. This method has you charging them for a change, but is similar to the previous suggestion. As you dash towards them, get somewhat close to them, jump airdodge while moving past them, and finish with a dancing blade or ftilt (or other attack)

Moderately effective
IV. Walk towards them, taking slight periodic pauses. Once their dash begins, jab jab, or, Nair dtilt jab jab (repeat some variation). Marth's jab is like a desperation move at times, and best used when you don't have time to try anything else. But also, once the opponent is stopped by the jab, they will think twice about approaching again, since last time you stopped them with an attack.

V. This one is kinda high risk high reward.
Use shield as bait - wait for approach - up b out of shield.
This is a very important tool for Marth, because if it's used correctly, Marth could technically beat anyone. It's like an impenetrable line of defense, limited only by your ability to use it without screwing up.

Least effective/safe (but situational and still should be used)
VI. Dancing blade 1 - 2 - 3 - low 4. Especially the last multihit move. This move is risky when used without landing on the opponent because of somewhat bad endlag on each move. Try waiting a while after each swing, to make the opponent think it's safe to rush in, then surprise them with the rest of the string.

VII. Spot dodge
If the opponent stops in front of you and lands a jab, your probably screwed. If you don't have excellent timing, you are done for. Still, if you spot dodge well, you could get the next attack yourself.

VIII. Counter
Very situational. Only use counter when you are very sure they are rushing in for an attack

IX. Charge nuetral B
A pretty risky move, but it may stop the opponent from rushing in without thinking and planning their timing as perfectly as possible.

X. Grab or pivot grab
Marth's grab range is not great, but this could be a great move depending on the situation. Use with caution.

XI. Roll backwards or forwards, whichever gives the greatest advantage.

Be sure to be unpredictable in your use these methods. Changing up your setups is the meaning on success in Sm4sh.

I'm sure there are more options available to Marth. If you think of more, please post below.

Last edited:

IthoughtMarthwasagirl

Smash Rookie
NNID
dreamsandmoney
3DS FC
0318-9275-7989
Good notes. It's true that Marth doesn't have many defensive options against dash grabs/dash attacks.

Here are some more options I thought of:

I would add extended dashdancing too. It can mess with the opponents spacing if done correctly, however if not done correctly it can screw you up even more.

As well as dashing in the opponents direction and turning around while still in the initial dash animation. Another more situational option would be a perfect pivot into a jab.

Even more situational is short hop to dair, which is the unsafe variant of the jump -> air dodge -> turnaround dancing blade/ f-tilt but it can lead into anything even tipper f-smash.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Another option is to jump away from the opponent, then do a neutral b pivot mid air as they approach.

I would put this somewhere between the moderate and least safe options, but it's another great way to mix up the opponent

The really nice thing about landing shieldbreaker is around 40% and above, it begins to knock opponents to the ground about the same as fair does. So it can either hit their shield or them, either way is good for you.

Top Bottom