• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Tippers - Great (underused) Approach Option!

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Ladies and Gentlemen, the backhit of falling uair.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6FpeI2keO5k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ELtUMl1zMs

In the above videos, you can see the backhit of falling uair easily chains or true combos into fsmash until around 40% or higher if they airdodge,
...and more significantly I think, also chains into Bair, upwards to 100+%! Kill setup. Basically, if you land backhit of uair, you will get a followup bair until well above 100%.

I'll talk about it's
1. Usefulness
2. Setups
3. Mixup potential
and
4. Correct Timing

Usage - There are very specific and limited ways that Marth can setup a "Ken Combo" string in Sm4sh.

(- Fair after opponent's second jump into dair finish
-Jump side b, uair, fair, dair
-Utilt, bair, fair ff, fair, dair)

The falling uair backhit can work just as well or better than utilt in setting up that Ken combo situation with the utilt variation.

Pros to falling uair are
-it's endlag is less than utilt and less than jump db1
-you can approach with uair (unlike utilt, unless you land into utilt) and it lands more reliably than jump db1 (once you get used to it) and the following move is more guaranteed.

Cons to falling uair
-Won't land if opponent is too low to the ground (Utilt hits lower)
-Very situational move, it's not too fast and can be easy to see coming.

Falling uair can even string into an full hop into up b, which may be a better option than bair if the di doesn't permit you to land a tipper.

Setups - A few ways to get the right positioning for this move are

-Full hop facing away from opponent, fastfall then uair.
-Full hop facing toward opponent, land behind them with fastfall uair.
-Short hop airdodge to uair can set this up also, and can be a used as roll punish or dodging an attack. Approach same as full hop.

Mixups - So, in the videos above I full hop into fastfall then uair, and proceed with combos. It's important to mix up your approach, to avoid getting punished hard.

The most reliable hits I succeeded to land were punishing Cloud's D-smash endlag and also used as a tech chase on DDD to punish his attack getup, but I also managed to land it more.

It is not Marth's fastest approach, but the reward is worth learning the timing.

Also, landing lag isn't bad on marth's uair. I wiffed it on DDD and retreated with a Bair on shield.

So here's a few mixup options once you fullhop with your back facing the opponent.

Each option should be considered and you should use the one that best fits your read of the situation.

-Fastfall then uair for the hit confirm

If opponent is going to shield your approach...
-reverse neutral B, or
-Fastfall to grab, or
-Land just outside of opponent range, dancing blade or decend with dancing blade, or
-Fall into counter (hard read) or shield (reset neutral, defend and evasion)
-Yolo fastfall into reverse up b

If opponent rolls...
-Your falling uair endlag should leave you almost entirely safe, in most cases.

Those are just a few ideas to mixup your approach. I'm sure there are more.

Timing

-So, I tried full hop - fastfall - uair, and also tried fullhop - fastfall - uair - fastfall again... But the second option was too dependent on perfect frames for it to be worth it, and the first option worked just fine.

One thing I wanted to say about timing this correctly is

-If you do a fair to fastfall uair or bair to fastfall uair, you have to wait a bit after the first areal... And then fastfall uair. If you fastfall too soon, your uair will either happen too soon or you will hit the ground before uair happens at all.

It's important to go to practice mode and work on optimizing your timing and spacing.

Everything that can make Marth more of a threat is essential for Marth mains.

If this wasn't already apart of your bag of tricks, I hope it helps your endeavors!

PS - I use the Cstick for the uair almost immediately after the fastfall, in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom