• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Priority

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Two Falcons jump at eachother, each doing a dair. One of them is hit, the one that is slightly lower than the other. However, they do the exact same thing again and this time the one on the bottom hits the one on the top with his dair. A third time this happens and both of them are hit, even when one is higher than the other. Sometimes the move is cancelled out while you and your opponent attack at the same time while one or both are on the ground. But this doesn't happen in the air. There must be a way to ensure priority over the opponent's attack. Now the CFs jump at eachother and one uses dair before the other. They both pull it out, but only one gets hit. The first time this happens the one using dair first hits the other to the ground. The second time, the one using dair second hits the first one and surely with more damage.

This could happen with his up B dive attack as well.... But this does not apply only to Captain Falcon. Ness's uair has a lot of priority, right? Let's say he is going up to hit a Jigglypuff which is doing a drill. The first time he does it sucessfully without taking any damage, but the second time Jiggly's drill connects even though the procedure was the same. Ness, as you're thinking now, probably used his uair a little later than the first time. But I believe there must be a way for Jiggly to connect the dair even during Ness uair's "priority frames." Does anyone know how to do this or a similar procedure? This will sound very bogus to you right now but maybe in the future it will be more clear after more people think about it.

So, how would you go about something like this making sure your opponent gets hit and you don't? Even if your opponent's move seems like it will connect?

ant-d

Smash Lord
If the same aerial-A attack hits at the same time:
Both characters get hit and take damage.

Your questions are unclear to me. Player 1 has priority with grabs etc.

Ness' hitbox is big. You have to get past Ness' hitbox in order to hit him before it hits you. If you do not, then of course it will seem as if Ness Up-air has more priority.

Up-air hits jigglypuff on this frame. You can roughly tell how long the hitbox is. I made jigglypuff invincible in this picture.

This makes it easier to understand:

Falcon's hitbox is dark blue. Ness' hitbox is yellow. For Falcon to hit, he must make contact with Ness body.
Hitboxes have been exaggerated in this picture

felix45

Smash Lord
the thing he is addressing is spacing really. (or that is what it sounds like)

if you can get around the hitbox of the uair from ness you can hit ness with the dair.

the only clear example I can think of to demonstrate is mario vs fox. fox uses a lot of arials, as we all know. mario has one of the best smashes in the game that is an anti air attack (usmash). it outprioritizes fox's everything. but there is a way around this as fox. if you do say a bair or fair and pull it out just so to where the foot hits the lower part of mario you can hit mario during his usmash.

hmm in the arial catagory the best example I can think of would be in a link ditto. lets say both use dair. you would think whoever jumps higher if both pull out the attack at the same time, but you can very well be below the other link's dair and hit him with yours if you are coming in from the outside and are rising with your dair. it just depends on how you space yourself.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Hmm I don't see why a running grab would have priority since they're both the same move.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha ant-d, nice pic.
Weird priority thing happened to me today...my friend and I were playing when I got hit with Falcon's Usmash and he got hit by Fox's Uair...we both went up.
On a side note, I DI'd about an inch and a quarter on Falcon's Uair today...

ant-d

Smash Lord
Whoever presses R first will grab.

Some attacks have hitboxes which are shorter than their body:

The tail goes through the other Pikachu but does not hit.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I find Pika's Fsmash hits me when I'm about half a centimeter away from the animation...silly beans.

Top Bottom