• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Priority Woes with Sonic

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
So yesterday, we had an 11 hour stretch of brawl. Fun times. We played, we feasted, we laughed at the crybaby's who were tearing up about the game being different, the same people who were ignoring most of the competitive videos posted and the comments from some of the worlds top competitive smashers when referring to the games viability as a tournament worthy game. Twas fun.

So... We unlocked Sonic. We did the whole Fox run on Final D thing(Which is NOT 15 minutes only. That is BULL****. We know. We wasted 15 minutes of that and it pissed us off. The method works, but it's probably around 30 minutes overall.) and took him down for the roster spot.

So, for the past day since brawl has been released, I've been playing up on Sonic for some ideas into him, to see HOW to improve this guy, instead of *****ing and moaning about kill moves. Sorry, but It's just getting annoying at this point. We've found away around the problem. Let's move on.

What I'm talking about here... is priority. Saying Sonic has none is exaggeration, but he doesn't have a lot. It's honestly what I think is what we need to work around at this point. There's definitely ways to get around an opponent. They exist, and we just need to examine how to approach.

Which is why I have made this topic at 2:41 am when I should be asleep for my class in the morning.

How do we approach ____________?

How do we get around _______________'s combo moves?

What do we avoid from _____________?

I thought that would get us rolling onto some interesting ideas.

Also, please keep this as a progressive thread. Let's think about how to make things better instead of whining about a character.

Good form then.
Shall we begin?

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Bumped topic so we could talk about this, even though I hate bumping things just for the sake =/

DroxSorcerer

Smash Cadet
While his moves don't have a lot of priority, I believe his speed makes up for it. In all the Brawls I've played with him, I've tried to attack faster than my opponent can. Doing that, I've run into very little priority problems, only having them when my attacks became predictable.

Kandy

Smash Rookie
Sonic's priority isnt really a problem with me. Here's a simple solution to his priority, dodge the attack. Simply jump over it and do a homing attack, the follow up with a fair. Normally, the lag from the homing attack isnt a problem because the knockback usually makes up for it.
Another solution, simply tap the control stick backwards, then do a forward b. most of the time, it works.

However, the main problem with me is that i cannot start the combos too well. Most of sonics moves are too predictable.

ExplosiveDuck

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of trouble with Sonic's priority. But then again, I'm using a lot of aerials and I guess I shouldn't be doing that as much with Sonic. I need to work more on gimping out recoveries with the homing attack.

And I'm having a hard time being unpredictable because his B moves are so easy to see coming...

Love him though.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
You can cancel Sonic's run by pressing up, so approach just outside of range and roll behind the opponent as they attack and grab.

I had a fun time ripping into a Marth player online with that.

Also, don't approach from the air, approach from the ground.

As for prediction, to be good with Sonic you basically have to punish your opponent whenever you attack.

Sonic's his name, speed's his game, so make sure that when they try to hit you, they miss, and that before they recover you're in there making a mess of them.

Can I get an amen?

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
You can cancel Sonic's run by pressing up, so approach just outside of range and roll behind the opponent as they attack and grab.

I had a fun time ripping into a Marth player online with that.

Also, don't approach from the air, approach from the ground.

As for prediction, to be good with Sonic you basically have to punish your opponent whenever you attack.

Sonic's his name, speed's his game, so make sure that when they try to hit you, they miss, and that before they recover you're in there making a mess of them.

Can I get an amen?

There it is.

Seriously, who uses QFT anymore?

I think the big obstacle with Sonic is that Sakurai made him to be played differently than, say, Mario or Link. More aggressive. More high-risk. Homing attack is wild off the edge. (You all know that you can cancel the lag by hitting B a few times, right?)

Top Bottom