• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing Tech-skill with fox

OldmanKarp

Smash Cadet
I've recently been practicing all my tech skill with fox (shuffling, wavedashing and wavelanding from edge, etc) because he's the hardest to do stuff with. Is this a good idea for a puff main (as in will the skill transfer over as I intended) or is it better to just practice crouched wavedashes and stuff with puff?

flmo

Smash Rookie
Practice with puff. Since fox is so much faster he's gonna throw off your timings I feel

OldmanKarp

Smash Cadet
Yeah I've sort of sensed that actually. I just felt it might help with the finger speed. Going back to Puff sounds good.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Playing fox for a while will increase your reaction speed, however being that puff is basically a zoning/read based character reaction speed is substantially less important.

Due to the specific, strategic requirements of playing puff, the cross training effect isn't as big on puff as it is for other characters. Playing another character will you to understand the mentality of that character better in the matchup, but any benefits puff will get from also playing a highly technical character are going to be from an increase in game/meta knowledge rather than tech skill.

Sarej

Smash Cadet
Playing fox for a while will increase your reaction speed, however being that puff is basically a zoning/read based character reaction speed is substantially less important.

Due to the specific, strategic requirements of playing puff, the cross training effect isn't as big on puff as it is for other characters. Playing another character will you to understand the mentality of that character better in the matchup, but any benefits puff will get from also playing a highly technical character are going to be from an increase in game/meta knowledge rather than tech skill.
Stuff like wavedashing on Fox really helped me wavedash better on Puff.

idm øphelia

Smash Rookie
As a Puff secondary player, her Wavedash OoS is one thing I practice a bunch bc honestly it's really hard for me with her but not with Spacies?? idk might just be me tho.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to have to agree with Massive on this one.

I definitely wouldn't consider the cross-training a bad thing, but aside from reaction time and understanding of the character's options, you won't get much benefit. Puff is not a very tech based character. The difference between a top level puff and a mid level puff (visually) is hard to discern. This would be because at the higher levels of puff play, the skill gaps are created via strategy/reading rather than technical prowess.

I don't try to say that there is a lack of strategy needed with other characters, but it is definitely an earlier requirement for puff.

Top Bottom