• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potentially new tech - buffered float-land out of shield-drop

pelipper

Smash Rookie
So this is my first post on smashboards. I posted this on the PM subreddit but I'm not sure how active it is there and also I feel like this is a more specific and fitting audience. I just wanted to share this but am not sure where the right place is.

Anyway, I think this tech is super useful and makes peach on a platform a ton scarier. Below is a copy/paste of my reddit post.

____

I'll start off by saying this may or may not actually be new. It's certainly new to me, although I don't keep up with much PM specific tech.

The reason this tech is so good is because it allows peach to go into an actionable grounded state faster than any other method (at least that I know of), even faster than double jump land out of shield. Disclaimer: this only works on platforms as shield-dropping is involved. I'll be honest, I do not know the exact frame data but I would have to guess you are actionable and grounded 2-3 frames after doing this.

What to do:

1. Buffer float while in shield on a platform. You can do this in 2 ways: during lag of a move before you shield, start holding the jump button, then hold shield and continue holding jump. Or you can start holding jump during shieldstun. For those of you that don't know what a buffered float is, see this video.

2. Shield-drop while still holding the jump button. You should immediately be floating directly at platform height.

3. Drop float. You should now be grounded and actionable.
This allows for crazy things that I wish I had the know-how to make videos/gifs of. You can downsmash out of shield faster than before. You can even dashback out of shield. The possibilities are endless, you're in an actionable state extremely quickly.

I found this because I was trying to do this in melee and it wouldn't work. This is because in melee, there is a character state called "PASS" that lasts for 30 frames after you drop from a platform. This PASS state is identical in every way to a normal actionable aerial state with one exception: peach cannot initiate float while in PASS. Because of this, trying to do this technique just results in peach doing a normal shielddrop.

Anyway, let me know if this is already known or if I'm wrong in some way. If anybody knows how to find out the exact frame data on this, I would love to know. Thanks.

Sinn0h

Thot
This sounds very useful, and it's the first time I've heard of this tech.
Thanks for the info!

(I'll try to get the frame data if I have the time)

Last edited:
Top Bottom