• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential uncharged Rollout application?

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Disclaimer: Anything i tried here was practiced strictly against computers and empty controllers (not 20xx)

So I was playing around with Jiggs's kit, and as anyone wants to do with such a butt move as Rollout, I wanted to find an application for it. As I was playing around in training mode, I accidently found out that even the uncharged Rollout has as small hitbox.

Info:

I'm sure this isn't new, but from what I found, there is a hitbox that lasts for (guessing) a frame or two, about the same frame that otherwise the charge would begin (about 16). I believe the hitbox is in the lower forward corner of Jiggs. This hitbox seems to reappear every time you turn when uncharged, but I can't see any visual cues which illustrate when they appear.

The aerial version is strictly inferior to U-Air in every way I could find without charging the Rollout. However, the ground version of uncharged rollout has two significant characteristics.

-Next to Forward Smash (and Rest), uncharged Rollout has the most horizontal knockback of any of her ground attacks. (Forward Smash was probably killing 20% earlier on average) Without DI, It sends at a 4:30/7:30 angle)
-Uncharged Rollout Semi-spikes at an angle not as steep as Down Smash, and with more knockback.

Scenario:

To put this into perspective, imagine a Fox standing right at the beginning of a slope on Yoshi's Story at 45%(again keep in mind this is verse a normal position Fox in training)

1.)-When hit with a Forward Smash away from the stage, Fox survives, and is sent high enough to where both Fire Fox and Illusion could have been used as recovery options.

2.)When hit with a Down Smash, Fox was able to jump, Fire Fox, and land back on the stage. I wouldn't be surprised if DJ, Wall Jump, Illusion would of been an option as well.

3.)When hit with an uncharged Rollout, Fox could not recover. At 35%, Fox could not recover unless Jiggs neglected to edgehog.

Application:

The biggest issue with this is the insanely small hitbox. It can't even hit most characters standing still right beside them. Of the High tiers:

Uncharged Rollout will hit Falco,Sheik, and Jiggs facing forward.
Uncharged Rollout can hit Fox from behind. This will hit Fox the vast majority of the time that the slope on Yoshi's Story is influencing either of their heights.

On top of the fact that you have sixteen frames of startup, a lot of the chances you have to use it are lost. However, there are two times when the above may be irrelevant. enough this may be used:

1.) When you predict a tech is missed, this may be able to hit both an opponent laying on the ground, or startup late enough to hit them after tech frames.
2.) After a Jab Reset.

Regarding in the first instance, you reap the additional benefit of doing KO-caliber knockback regardless of which side of you the opponent lands on, opposed to a backwards-facing Forward Smash.

Summary:

I think uncharged Rollout may have an application when you are on top of someone who misses a tech or after a Jab Reset in a game state where Rest is not applicable. Uncharged Rollout has more knockback than D-Smash, and may lead to easier edgeguards than them correctly DI'ing a F-Smash.

Questions that, if this has real application, need to be answered:

- How does DI'ing, CCing, etc, affect Rollout compared to Down-Smash? If you can ride the ground and grab the ledge like you can verse a Down-smash, this probably isn't worth it.
-How does the hitbox during the turns in the uncharged Rollout work? Is there a way we can utilize these for tech chases?

Ezmar

Smash Rookie
I would think that in any case where you could make a read good enough to use an uncharged rollout, Rest would 99% of the time be the better option. Rollout would KO off the side, meaning that they'd be guaranteed to respawn quickly, and you still have the relatively long effective cooldown of the move. Given that Rest is a guaranteed KO at almost any reasonable %, I'd say that it's not worth the tradeoff. You say "Where rest is not applicable", But you don't give any examples where you'd be able to use an uncharged Rollout, but unable to use rest. You need a harder read for Rollout, because of the 16 frame startup. Rest comes out on frame 4 (I believe), does more knockback, has a chance to KO off the top, and is much more versatile than it may appear, as there are no shortage of ways for Jigglypuff to combo into rest.

I can't really imagine uncharged rollout being substantially more useful than Ganon's Utilt or Warlock kick offstage spike.

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the feedback.

This may be a relevant detail I missed. When you connect with a grounded uncharged Rollout, you actually perform the aerial cooldown animation In the scenarios I listed, startup to end of cooldown is only 70-80 frames.

With that being said, I think it's obvious when Rest isn't applicable; anytime the guaranteed revenge hit threatens to KO Jiggs.

Though Its'sunfortunate that if this does pan out that it would be most effective versus Falco and Sheik, who have relatively poor Rest punishes in the first place.

Top Bottom