• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential New ELO Mode? (Japan's New Update)

Rᴀᴍᴇɴ

Smash Rookie
About an hour ago, DKBill uploaded a video. In this video, he explains that Japan got a new mode for online play. This new game mode, titled "Super Melee" (according to a rough Google Translate), hovers above background matchmaking. This new game mode appears to use a different ranking system from Global Smash Points (GSP).

Matches in this game mode, as shown in the video, had a 2 stock & 4 minutes ruleset, a ruleset very similar to the tourney mode ruleset with Small Battlefield being the only available stage.

With this new system, players appear to start at a score (which I will now call ELO) of 15,000. Players increase or decrease in ELO depending on if they win or lose, respectively.

In the video, DKBill mentions that Shuton and Choco ran into other pro players in this mode, so this could mean that players could have a higher chance at running into players if they happen to have a high enough ELO.

A leaderboard has been posted on the japanese Smash Bros website with Shuton, Tea, and T being the top 3 players on the ladder. At the bottom of the leaderboard, it is stated that "The "nickname" and "email address" registered in the Nintendo account of the top ranking will be shared with CyberZ Co., Ltd. in order to manage the final competition and send the certification" (translation by Google) meaning that there may be special tournaments for those who reach a high enough ELO. CyberZ Co. and Nintendo seem to have made some type of partnership to get these tournaments running. CyberZ, in the past, has also launched "RAGE League for Street Fighter V", Capcom's first eSports League in Japan. Partnering with a company like this may mean that Nintendo could be trying to make competitve Smash some type of eSport. If other countries do get this mode, Nintendo may not partner with CyberZ Co. for these tourneys since CyberZ Co is a company that resides in Japan, but most likely with some other company that resides in those respective regions.

Well that's all the information I can provide at the moment. I'll be willing to update this post with new information if I find anything. A more in depth analysis of the new system can be found in the link above.

(Screenshot taken after selecting "Super Melee" from the menu. Seems to be informing players about the tourney mentioned previously in the post. Taken from
Shuton's stream.)

(Image of the character select screen taken from Choco's stream)

(Screenshot of a pop up after xxx. The text above roughly translates [via Google Translate] to "Currently Counting. Please check again after the result announcement." Taken from Gackt's stream.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom