• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Grab Release Discussion

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
As you all know by now, Wario's grab release problems in Brawl were a huge detriment to his character, and as of now we are getting varying reports suggesting they are either back in a lesser capacity, or not at all. Both are vague however.

Got Wario. (JP copy)

Grab release still seems to be a thing, though this is on a computer, of course. He releases much farther away though, I could only get Fair/Uair with Marth.
Feels very Brawlly. From what I can tell doesn't get Grab Release combo'd like he used to (but people here haven't necessarily been trying).
Both reports vague, one being against a computer, the other being against people who may not have necessarily been trying.

Here is an image provided to us from Raziek portraying what the grab release looks like in terms of distance

This is clearly higher and farther away, suggesting it could be more difficult to hurt Wario if he can't move in time. Things like Fsmashs off of it don't seem likely, but stuff like Palutena's usmash and certain aerials still seem to be a threat.

As for footage of Wario's grab release itself, I could only find some against Master hand, so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTi7IPTwzKA#t=385

From what I can tell, it seems like Wario is capable of moving a little quicker after being released by canceling the animation with an action, so this will all depend on how quickly the opposing player can act upon releasing in this game.

The fact that this could potentially be back is very troubling as a Wario main, and annoying to me as a fan of the series. If it's not possible in this game, thank God, if it is, than I am very disappointment in the developer's lack of investment in the concerns of the community.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll test against humans later tonight and report when I can

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I'll test against humans later tonight and report when I can
Thank you kindly for your efforts. Any info would be appreciated.

And while you're at it could you get all of Wario's custom moves pleaseandthankyou

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Tested it. It doesn't seem as free as in Brawl, but there's definitely at least a 50-50 going on. If you AD and they do nothing they can punish your landing. If they jump deep (space moves badly) nair will work. If you jump, UpTilt will hit you regardless.
Tested Marth vs Wario btw

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Tested it. It doesn't seem as free as in Brawl, but there's definitely at least a 50-50 going on. If you AD and they do nothing they can punish your landing. If they jump deep (space moves badly) nair will work. If you jump, UpTilt will hit you regardless.
Tested Marth vs Wario btw
Thanks for the info... So it seems at the very least we won't be getting hit by things like tipper fsmashes or ultra powerful moves for absolutely free. And with the ability to air dodge before they hit you, it doesn't seem like they have ways of getting guaranteed damage.

This could be really great for a number of reasons. For one, if the opponent attempts to grab release and only gets off 2-4% damage off jabs, it might not be worth the 50-50 if you could just throw Wario for guaranteed damage. I'd prefer if the grab release was gone altogether, but with this I can at least rest much easier.

Thanks Strong Bad for testing this.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah it'd be nice if the developers of this game had any idea of what they were doing :p

Top Bottom