• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

possible useful edgegaurd tech

R4ZE

Smash Ace
on two different occasions i was able to cancel out of sonic's Dair when i successfully hit sum1 out over the edge, and i was spamming up b the entire duration of the dair.

The dair went about half normal length, when i hit into the other player, my up B initiated and i rocketed back upward and onto the ledge.

I saw this once and thought i was seeing things, but i did it again on accident yesterday

*in-depth*:usually what i aim to do is just dair and hit them back out, and then up b back to the ledge,

as in im on the edge, the opponent is coming back, i do a single jump to get osme height, and then dair and go flying toward my opponent who is coming back.

NORMAL SITUATION: i dair hit them back out, or miss, and either way my dair finishes, and use up b, i either grab the edge, or amd just enuff to go above my opponent who has grabbed the edge, either way. im safe.

THIS SITUATION: Dair goes about half normal distance, up B initiates.. i think the oponent it hit with dair and the spring(not sure though, happened too fast and by suprise)

i am sure however that both times this happened to me, it resulted in the opponent dying and sonic recovering with ease.

**request** Can some of you guys test this out? I'm a beleiver that even if this isnt controllable it is a glitch that happens every once in a while. but i was hoping we could get some solid facts and confirmation on this.

maybe we help sonic a bit no?

Sonic the EdgEhog

Smash Rookie
It could be a gatling cancel, that would be REALLY monumental for edgeguarding with sonic's dair as it's so fast and knocks out far when you hit with it right after the move starts.

Sadly, it could just be that you're struck with the person's recovery as you dair and your spamming of the springboard causes you to do it immediately, which hits the opponent.

Either way it's kinda cool I guess for an edgeguard. :)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It would have to be gatling cancel.
there is no way that spamming the ^B button will force the Dair to cancel out halfway since if you Dair normally ithe ^B doesn't cancel until the Dair reaches the end of its fall.

If f4ze can duplicate it again and tell us that he could see that the Dair canceled halfway through its fall ONLY when the opponent is hit, then its a gatling cancel.

Which would be extremely useful since in general the Dair is great for edge guarding since it may mean a safer means of air guarding an enemy

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I wonder what other gatling combos might arise eventually?

I mean, we have everyone in the cast being capable of dash attack -> upsmash (some more viable than others, but whatever).

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Um Sonic can't do a dash into U smash.
Fox can't dash into Usmash.
Not many characters can dash attack into a Usmash like Snake and Falco.
Least to my knowledge.
They do have some moves that can begin immediately after the other.

Snake goes into a Usmash only if you hit with the beginning of his dash attack, just as he begins the leaping forward animation.

Its only a gatling if it cancels the attack completely and goes into another attack.
Since the Dair moves so quickly you're able to see the Dair before the cancel.
Where as with Falco and Snake if you look closely you'll notice that they continue the dash attack for a moment before it cancels completely into another attack.
Unless the attack is canceled completely after the hit its not a gatling cancel.

With Sonic's Dair it seems possible considering it was canceled before it usually does.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Um Sonic can't do a dash into U smash.
Fox can't dash into Usmash.
Not many characters can dash attack into a Usmash like Snake and Falco.
Least to my knowledge.
They do have some moves that can begin immediately after the other.

Snake goes into a Usmash only if you hit with the beginning of his dash attack, just as he begins the leaping forward animation.

Its only a gatling if it cancels the attack completely and goes into another attack.
Since the Dair moves so quickly you're able to see the Dair before the cancel.
Where as with Falco and Snake if you look closely you'll notice that they continue the dash attack for a moment before it cancels completely into another attack.
Unless the attack is canceled completely after the hit its not a gatling cancel.

With Sonic's Dair it seems possible considering it was canceled before it usually does.
A friend said everyone could do it; I didn't think it was true, but I took his word for it.

Snake can do dash attack -> upsmash even if he doesn't hit anyone.

So are you saying that Falco/Snake IS gatling or isn't? Because the animation doesn't finish all the way through, especially on Snake.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tested this out and it's not a gatling combo. If there was something that made it work then it's something you're not telling us or most likely you just got hit when doing it and so were able to up-b.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
@ fantomkitsune

I'm not sure on all the ridiculous terminology, but snake/falco's thing is only after you've hit someone. Everyone can do the one where you don't hit the person, but in doing so, the dash attack hitbox doesn't come out. With Snake, he can do the usmash without a dash attack hitbox just for the slide, or expect to hit the person and get the dash attack hitbox, then cancel it.

So this would obviously be more like the Snake/Falco thing. To test, you'd want to hit somewhere around halfway, and then hit upB while Sonic and his opponent are in hitfreeze (the few frames where both people like stop as something's hitting).

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Everyone can do the dash attack->Usmash, but some cannot do it as well as say, Snake. I have done it with Sonic and it does slide rather far, but it isn't worth the trouble...

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well. then that means it is possible for sonic to dair into certain character's up b and then immidiately up b and possibly land a kill.

i beleive i landed a kill both times. im going to try this a lot more in my matches and ill let you guys know of the outcome.

from what your telling me i assume that i just got hit by sumthing that canceled the dair.

this could still be a useful thing to do againsta lot of characters, like fox. mario, bowser.. etc.

i did it vs DDD and bowser btw.

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
well I always did know that if you do two jumps and then dair you can always make it back to the board without grabbing the ledge using upB so it's not like it would really make a difference if it was a gatling cancel . but there is always that chance of making a mistak and killing yourself

R4ZE

Smash Ace
yea... a lot of sonic's useful techniques have to be used in exact situations, and used exactly right or he ends up dying.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
A friend said everyone could do it; I didn't think it was true, but I took his word for it.

Snake can do dash attack -> upsmash even if he doesn't hit anyone.

So are you saying that Falco/Snake IS gatling or isn't? Because the animation doesn't finish all the way through, especially on Snake.
??
I've tried doing it withuot hitting anyone and oddly enough Snake doesn't gatling into his Usmash.

It IS gatling because the first move gets canceled into the 2nd move.
I don't udnerstand how you could get confused by what I said.

THe dyne: vids or it didn't happen. I have never managed to pull it off regardless of how exact my timing was.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
??
I've tried doing it withuot hitting anyone and oddly enough Snake doesn't gatling into his Usmash.

It IS gatling because the first move gets canceled into the 2nd move.
I don't udnerstand how you could get confused by what I said.

THe dyne: vids or it didn't happen. I have never managed to pull it off regardless of how exact my timing was.
So wait...are you saying that you can't dash attack -> usmash with snake without hitting anyone? Because I know that to be false.

And I got confused because you were just too wordy with your description...
"Where as with Falco and Snake if you look closely you'll notice that they continue the dash attack for a moment before it cancels completely into another attack.
Unless the attack is canceled completely after the hit its not a gatling cancel."

Where as...would imply that it's not, even though in the description itself, you blatantly describe gatling. The last sentence is just unnecessary, considering you're describing an actual gatling cancel/combo.

Whatever, it doesn't really matter. My main point was the Snake thing.

Top Bottom