• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Northern California Tournament

davriver209

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this, so if I'm in the wrong forum please redirect me to the right one.

Some people and I are interested in hosting a Super Smash Bros tournament in Stockton Ca. We have the resources to do so, but we need some information before we begin the preliminary stages of setting up.

We would like to know a few things. If you guys can give us some feedback, we'd greatly appreciate it.

1.) What SSB games do you guys prefer to play in a tournament?
2.) What's the farthest you'd be willing to go to participate in a tournament?
3.) what are things you like about SSB tournaments? And what are things you don't like?
4.) What is the max you'd be willing to pay in a tournament? And what is the minimum?
5.) Do you like tournaments who provide all the equipment? Or do you like the "bring your own controller" approach?
6.) What could be done to make a SSB tournament a fun and enjoyable social event?

Obviously this would be a first time for us with all the questions we're asking, but we're eager to join this great community as we always have been huge fans of the SSB series.

For any further information, questions, concerns, or critiques, please shoot me a PM or respond in this thread. Thanks!

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Hi there! The best way to connect with NorCal smash 4 smashers (most aren't as active on smashboards as I'd like) would be in the official facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorcalSmash4/ . Since I took the time to reply to this I might as well give my opinion on the answers to those questions.
  • 1.) Smash 4, Melee, and Project Melee gain the most entrants to tournaments pretty much everywhere.
  • 2.) There is quite an abundance of tournaments all over NorCal (Almost a weekly tournament on all 7 days of the week) but some take place in San Jose, others in Sacramento. Smashers around here don't really travel as much as other regions because of such a mass quantity of tournaments. However, I know of a couple Stockton smashers and I'm sure they would love a tournament series in their own area!
  • 3.) SSB tournaments are great because they allow people to literally just go out and play video games while forming friendships and connections to people with a similar hobby (playing smash). I honestly cant think of things people don't like about smash tournaments besides some venues not being strict about general rules such as common courtesy and hygiene (this is huge in the smash community) although it isn't as much a problem as some make it out to be.
  • 4.) Tournaments are usually $5 venue fee, fees that go to the TO/venue (store manager or whatever) that run/allow the TO to run this tournament for us in this specific location. Sometimes this can be much higher ($10-15) if the venue provides players with food or beverages or simply if the venue requires more to be rented out or if its a regional/national sized event with ~70+ entrants. The rest of the entree fee is to enter tournament events such as Singles for each game, and possibly Doubles for each game as well if there is enough attendance. These are both commonly $5 each but, again, with larger tournaments may be more expensive. Entree fee to each event is the prizepool that is given 100% to the highest placing players of the tournament (Usually top 3 payout in a 60%/30%/10% fashion to 1st 2nd and 3rd place but can be top 8 payout with a large enough attendance).
  • 5.) Tournaments that provide all the equipment are almost unheard of. Most usually have only 1-2 full setups and is on to the players to bring their own tvs/systems (This can be encouraged by waiving their venue fee or giving a discount to people who do bring a full setup). Smashers would never go to a tournament without their special controller so you don't need to worry about anything like that.
  • 6.) Friendly and efficient TOs and friendly smashers are really enough to make it enjoyable. Do all you can to run tournament smoothly, get to know people, make sure the venue is not a super cramped smelly apartment, and ensure that everyone is being respectful to themselves and each other. Restaurants or fastfood around/in the venue is also really convenient and appreciated!

Feel free to talk to me about anything else you might be wondering or if you need help with something if you plan to run this event!

Top Bottom