• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible new ways to use/style with Eggroll (?)

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
OK, somewhat new tech stuff I've been trying to figure out. Help would be appreciated on this one.

Eggroll directional change off of platforms/edges.

I found that if you turn eggroll at the edge of a platform or the stage, then immediately hold the direction you were originally going in (I need more lab time to figure out exactly how to do it, this is a guess), You can go off the edge of the platform or the stage and be going the opposite direction. (uploaded picture for reference) Usage of this is solely movement right now, but I did find that if done off of of the ledge of the stage, you can grab the ledge right afterwards. So I'm going to try and figure it out and see what it can be used for.

Eggroll Ledge guarding

I had a thought, haven't tested it out yet, but say you knock an opponent off the stage and they're recovering. Let's use Marth as an example. Marth is recovering and we know Yoshi can gimp him with a D-tilt, but the Marth wants to sweet-spot the ledge. NOW, here was my thought, CAN Yoshi grab the ledge to force Marth to recover High, then after instilling that recovery, Fast-fall then DJ into an Eggroll onto the stage and immediately turnaround and exit eggroll to set yourself up for a D-tilt or a D-smash?
I think this tactic would work if your spacing is proficient enough and you're eggroll usage is good. (in theory anyways)

Let Me know what You guys think

Attachments

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
Wow! This is a very interesting find. I'll be sure to test it out and let you know soon on what I might find.

Talking about Side-B, I've noticed how BIG this move is for mind games. Some people I play shield around 90% of the time when I activate it because they most likely think I'm going head on with my approach towards them. So I actually turn around at times and again, they have already shielded anticipating the approach... so they go "oh... he knows I shield whenever he does that..."

A LOT of players also shield every time I am on top of them via jumping approach. I'm just glad I have access to a command grab, though they react to it well because the grab's range is horizontal so I have to come down regardless. Which is why I use side B when I'm on top at times because it mixes up/saves my predicted hit on block.

Not only has Yoshi always been an extremely technical character, but with things like Side-B mix-up and approach options added to his game, there has been a great expansion on his learning curve that is extremely rewarding once climbed in the case of mindgames and mental battles.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Wow! This is a very interesting find. I'll be sure to test it out and let you know soon on what I might find.

Talking about Side-B, I've noticed how BIG this move is for mind games. Some people I play shield around 90% of the time when I activate it because they most likely think I'm going head on with my approach towards them. So I actually turn around at times and again, they have already shielded anticipating the approach... so they go "oh... he knows I shield whenever he does that..."

A LOT of players also shield every time I am on top of them via jumping approach. I'm just glad I have access to a command grab, though they react to it well because the grab's range is horizontal so I have to come down regardless. Which is why I use side B when I'm on top at times because it mixes up/saves my predicted hit on block.

Not only has Yoshi always been an extremely technical character, but with things like Side-B mix-up and approach options added to his game, there has been a great expansion on his learning curve that is extremely rewarding once climbed in the case of mindgames and mental battles.
Yoshi is the "Jack of all trades" character of P:M. He has an insane number of options as far as movement and mixups, I have about 60-70% of it down, but there's still so much. Eggroll is a monstrous part of my game, nobody ever knows what direction I'm going to go. Plus Yoshi wracks up damage off of combos so rediculusly fast. I play a very read, punish, mind-games all over kind of Yoshi. Punish is my biggest aspect of my play and Yoshi Punishes so damn hard. But yeah, Eggroll is hands down Yoshi's best tool, I use it a ton for anything from recoveries, getting off the ledge, movement mind-games and Tech chases. Tech chasing with eggroll is super safe. Eggroll is super safe on shield (be careful of tether grabbers) and since you have 2 hitboxes on it (one from the move and one from getting out of eggroll) it's extremely versatile. I want to master Yoshi 100%, if I have to find new stuff that nobody has ever seen before and pave the way, I'm all over that. (If you haven't seen this thread on the Grab-Parry http://smashboards.com/threads/new-yoshi-technology.351523/ check it out. I didn't discover it, just brought it more into the light)

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I need to remind myself to Egg Roll for tech chasing....
Raw command grabs (egg lay) on the ground are great as well.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I just recorded this, did i get the right idea?...or is this tottally different?

http://youtu.be/iLumFkDq9bE

*edit: btw my potato wasnt working correctly. and youtube uploaded it at a lower res.
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I don't know the frames or the pixel that you need to use for the turnaround, I just know that it's a nice way to grab the ledge and have more movement mind-games off of platforms

saberhof

Smash Master
i noticed i get it down a lot more often when the egg is yellow. or going fast.

*Edit: The way i practiced it was, i started a a side b, then gathered up speed, and just as i left the edge, i hit the opposite direction (not smashing the direction) and b, and yoshi just dropped to grab the edge.

Last edited:

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
That's very helpful!! So I haven't worked on this technique in specific, but I have been applying Side-B as a tech chase more and it really is more effective!!! I will report back soon how I can incorporate this in tournament.

saberhof

Smash Master
its consistent now, ill try to get a good vid of it for reference. GG.

Edit* techchasing with the side b is awesome spire_fan

Last edited:
Top Bottom