• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible new kill setup?

GA_Mordecai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-6450-7000
I've been trying crash bomb, and I got a new idea about a kill setup from it. I really wanted to see how you guys think this would fair in a tourney setting.

Set-up: 3x Lemon-CB explosion-footstool-lemon lock- up tilt

quepasacontigo

Smash Rookie
At first sight, the biggest problem seem to be to get the opponent get struck by the crash bomber explosion? Good players would consistantly shield, block or sticky the CB back.
Or is there some way to frame trap people into the blast?

GA_Mordecai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-6450-7000
The lemons actually lock them in place and combo into the CB explosion. I've tested in practice mode.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Why go through all the trouble of having a set up work only under two conditions when you can just have one and only just crash bomber to back air instead? That is actually more easier.

GA_Mordecai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-6450-7000
The other followups kill a lot later, while this one (albeit hard to do) with practice can net you a kill really early, plus it'll really get people freaked out when a crash bomb gets stuck on them since if they get lemon'd while they have it they can die.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
If you have a MB in hand when the CB goes off, you could actually convert this into our infinite. Were you practicing this against a standing bot? I find it very difficult to get followups on CB in general, much less footstool opponents out of the explosion.

GA_Mordecai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-6450-7000
Yeah but I'll try to get some footage against an actual person. Tbh I feel like getting followups for CB is only hard because half the time it goes off were not in range to follow up, and DI hardly matters here since you'll still be in position to footstool them after the CB goes off. On skinny characters after the footstool you can do the downward MB to up tilt combo instead of jablocking

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Wait a second here! If you connect a crash bomb on your foe and immediately connect with pellets they can't shield the CB explosion? Cant test for myself but I would be really surprised if I didn't know about this after all this time playing as mega man....

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
So if you manage to connect a cb and then manage to land a 3-burst lemon attack that will combo into the explosion. In that case
CB-3xlemon-fair/bair etc is guaranteed as long as they don't shield the 1st lemon ofc?

GA_Mordecai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-6450-7000
Yeah, but with bair I think you gotta MB to CB explosion to bair, or hit them the other way with it. The awesome thing about the MB throw setup is that if they shield MB this could set up for a possible shield break. I'm gonna look into that too actually.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Shield would work only if they are under 40%, given the way CB works. Or they are Bowser, and you can't rely on CB anyway :p
But yes, that definitely is interesting. Item MB could cause shieldbreaks if followed by a FSmash on block, link into a follow-up on hit or just apply soft pressure.
I have some light trouble getting the timing down (if your opponent is sent flying towards you by the CB, it is easier to footstool them), but I'll work around it.

Last edited:

GA_Mordecai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-6450-7000
This is the setup in training mode bot, and I'll try to get this on a real player for you guys.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Im not available to test anything at this point in time. But its seems from the video that you have to wait some frames before going for the 3-burst lemon attack. Looks like there is enough time to combo a item held metal blade into 3xlemon burst into CB burst into whatever you see fit?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Thanks for the video. I think you're going to have a very hard time doing that to a real person.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Most of the time they will sit in shield and usually if you hit them when they are that close with CB they will either hit you or try and transfer it to you.

And if you hit them from far away the explosion sends them the opposite way.

The only way this would work is if you hit them from far away and they try to run up to transfer it to you, this way would be our best option for this combo.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Crash bomb always sends them the same way in regards to from what direction you hit them. I have good success with Dsmash after I lash on a crash bomb since Dsmash counters physical approaches. If you wiff your mostly safe since they have to shield instead of going for a punish.

I find that short hop backwards B revers Crash bomb is the best way to successfully land CBs since they are hard to read and hard to shield because of the weird hit timing. Also you don't have much landing lag if you slide your thumb from jump to forward B. Same tech as how to activate leaf shield with less ground lag. More benefits of shooting Cbs this way is that it covers jump a little and you get headshots.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I've been labbing footstool combos for a few weeks now, I'll definitely be testing this out. Thanks for sharing!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Crash Bomb sends the victim in the same direction the bomb was originally fired from. So if you shoot it to to the left, the opponent will fly left. Same for right. It's why people can be stage spiked because of a bomb latched onto the stage. They're being knocked into the stage because the bomb was fired towards the stage.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
I like the concept of this alot, but as far as I see it, at best it's a 50/50. I say this because you have to rely on the opponent letting go of shield before the crash bomb explosion. In order to put this into practice, you'd have to react really fast to that, but what if they keep their shield up, or run away and air dodge the explosion?

Yeah, but with bair I think you gotta MB to CB explosion to bair, or hit them the other way with i. The awesome thing about the MB throw setup is that if they shield MB this could set up for a possible shield break. I'm gonna look into that too actually.
For those wondering about possible shield breaks with crashbomb and metal blades, I have a video.

But once again, this setup requires the opponent to stay in shield, which will almost never happen against a good player. However, if you do land a shield break, it gives you a free infinite no matter what percent they're at, into a free utilt.

By the way, the shield break in this video works on full shields.

Last edited:
Top Bottom