• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibility of Smash Bros news during upcoming Nindies Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
Since we recently got the first Indie Representation in Smash in the form of a Shovel Knight assist trophy, I was wondering if there could be any chance of an indie-related Smash announcement during the upcoming Nindies Showcase on the 28th of August.

I believe a surprise Smash announcement would be a great way to increase the interest and hype surrounding the sometimes overlooked Nindies Showcases.
Realistically the chances of this actually happening would be quite slim, but imagine the delight if they casually announce Shantae as a playable fighter. (I can dream)

There are many indie characters/series that are loved by many Nintendo fans that don't quite have the renown needed to become a playable fighter, but could theoretically make the cut as an Assist Trophy, Stage, Boss character or collectible (Trophy/Sticker)

Some of the characters/series that I would like to see in Smash in one way or another include:
  • Shantae
  • Morphies Law
  • SteamWorld
  • Snipperclips
  • Overcooked
  • Stardew Valley
  • Golf Story (Sidebar Games just announced that they are working on a new game!)
  • Celeste
  • Hollow Knight
Note: (Many of these are highly unlikeable to actually show up in the game, this is purely a wishlist)

Do you think there is any possibility of this happening, or am I being unrealistic? If this were to happen, what announcement would you expect or/and want the most?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I doubt any Super Smash Bros. related material will be presented as it would overshadow the rest of the content shown. Simple as that.

If anything were to happen, I predict it will be the Shovel Knight creators being excited over his inclusion as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

BasketballSKM

Smash Rookie
I can't see it. I honestly believe that if Shovel Knight is an assist trophy there will be no indies in the base roster. Even if one did make it, the announcement would overshadow everything in the direct.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
I doubt any Super Smash Bros. related material will be presented as it would overshadow the rest of the content shown. Simple as that.

If anything were to happen, I predict it will be the Shovel Knight creators being excited over his inclusion as an assist trophy.
Unfortunately, realistically speaking, there is a high chance that you're indeed correct.
Yacht Club games also teased an "all new game" for Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove so they could very well make an appearance in the showcase and a thank you / shoutout for the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy would make a lot of sense.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think the only thing that could possibly outdo Shovel Knight would be the grandfather of Indies, that being Quote from Cave Story.

But even that I see as highly unlikely.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
I can't see it. I honestly believe that if Shovel Knight is an assist trophy there will be no indies in the base roster. Even if one did make it, the announcement would overshadow everything in the direct.
Would it overshadow the whole direct if it were only an Assist Trophy / Collectable? I think you underestimate the appeal of some indie games...

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I don’t see it. If Shovel Knight couldn’t make it, then the only indie with a realistic shot is Quote.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I would love to see some Snipperclips or Shantae content in Smash. I think the Shantae devs have been acting pretty strange recently, and the whole ULTIMATE SLUMBER PARTY thing help the odds of Shantae appearing in some capacity. Whether or not we get information about that in this direct, however, is a totally different question.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Correction: Shantae is and has always been more likely for smash (and this is coming from a guy who’s played shovel knight) due to more personality, much more moveset potential, and flat out history with Nintendo.

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
The Smash Direct was way too recent for there to be any new information for Smash, Shovel Knight being an assist trophy would have been fitting to show off now if there was going to be anything. I'm too impatient for any possible Wargroove news during this to care about anything Smash related for this DIrect anyway.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Correction: Shantae is and has always been more likely for smash (and this is coming from a guy who’s played shovel knight) due to more personality, much more moveset potential, and flat out history with Nintendo.
As much as I want Shantae, this isn't true in the slightest. The more history with Nintendo sure, but besides that. Shantae is largely irrelevant in terms of gaming. 3rd parties in Smash tend to be chosen carefully and due to large gaming significance.

Shovel Knight is gigantic in comparison, but even he pales to the other titans on there already (besides Bayo but her case is unique).

Expecting an Indie as playable Smash is quite foolhardy. The Fact that SK is even an assist is huge though. I'd like to be wrong though so. If I am feel free to use my post as an example.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
To quote myself
There was a similar discussion about Nintendo revealing something during the last Nindies Showcase back in March, and nothing was revealed. For Nintendo or any large publisher to reveal anything of note would defeat the entire point of the showcase, which is meant for smaller tier devs and games
Not to say an indie rep is impossible (although Shovel Knight as an AT does make it seem very unlikely), but to announce it among indie titles which tend to have low visibility as it is (hence the point of Nintendo promoting them) would completely suck out all of the oxygen in the room.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
The Smash Direct was way too recent for there to be any new information for Smash, Shovel Knight being an assist trophy would have been fitting to show off now if there was going to be anything. I'm too impatient for any possible Wargroove news during this to care about anything Smash related for this DIrect anyway.
I agree with you that it's too soon to announce anything big, but I believe a low key announcement related to Smash might be possible...
Maybe Yacht Club will give us another look at the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy and maybe show an additional cool trophy of someone from the The Order of No Quarter / Shield Knight, maybe even a music track.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
To quote myself

Not to say an indie rep is impossible (although Shovel Knight as an AT does make it seem very unlikely), but to announce it among indie titles which tend to have low visibility as it is (hence the point of Nintendo promoting them) would completely suck out all of the oxygen in the room.
I mainly had smaller things in mind for the Indies, I agree that a new playable character is a stretch.
If Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy, why couldn't Shantae be one? (A much as I would prefer her playable, an Assist Trophy would still be very nice)
I would also love it if the Smash team would include an Nindie-medley with some of the best Indie Music, and collectable trophies are always nice (we got Rayman, without anything else, so it might be plausible)

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we are getting any announcements for Smash in this showcase. It just doesn't seem likely, because of how small the indie scene is. If there is going to be something big in the indie showcase, they would have told us to watch it. I'm going to still see it since I'm big into indies, but I doubt anything os Smash is going to show up.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
There's a song, it's on the site.
Yeah you're right, this is exactly the kind of thing that I would like to see more of.
If Snapperclips got a song, we could also see a collectable Trophy or even a Stage, who knows?
And who's to say that we won't see more songs from the indie scene?
Even if it's not in the showcase itself, they might put some indie related stuff on the smash blog on the same day as the presentation.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I mainly had smaller things in mind for the Indies, I agree that a new playable character is a stretch.
If Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy, why couldn't Shantae be one? (A much as I would prefer her playable, an Assist Trophy would still be very nice)
I would also love it if the Smash team would include an Nindie-medley with some of the best Indie Music, and collectable trophies are always nice (we got Rayman, without anything else, so it might be plausible)
True, more Assist Trophies are definitely a possibility, and Shantae would probably top that list, in fact there will probably be more Indies included in Ultimate, so I agree there. While a more low key announcement might manage to not steal the spotlight, that then raises the question, why do it at all? It would have been better to reveal it around the sane time SK was shown, or wait until another direct, where the reveal could make a bigger splash.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
True, more Assist Trophies are definitely a possibility, and Shantae would probably top that list, in fact there will probably be more Indies included in Ultimate, so I agree there. While a more low key announcement might manage to not steal the spotlight, that then raises the question, why do it at all? It would have been better to reveal it around the sane time SK was shown, or wait until another direct, where the reveal could make a bigger splash.
Yeah, I admit the timing of this showcase isn't exactly favourable. Still, crazier things have happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom