• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibility of a tech/combo thread or document?

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
Hey all, with the release of SSBU right around the corner, it seems like a good idea to start thinking about how we can all contribute to finding combos and setups with the Belmonts. I'm not entirely sure how this has been done in the past, but the idea of compiling all of our findings in one place seems like an obvious one, and I'd love to brainstorm some ideas on how we can make this work.

I've noticed that for DBFZ, they use Twitter to post clips a ton, and even with character hashtags, I feel like that can get lost incredibly easy, so I wonder if something like a thread here on the Belmont board, or a document that can be contributed to would be useful.

Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this!

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
These 2 are not really combo characters, but they do have some setups.

Holy Water comboes easily into F-smash or anything you want, essentially the old Ness PK Fire into Fsmash except you don't even need to move. F-smash range is huge. N-air is their only move that seems combo friendly, but have been underwhelmed by it.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been reading all the threads, but I will confirm here that all the whip moves have a tipper sweetspot like Marth's for a lot more knockback and damage.
All of the aerial whip moves can also be used to tether and grab the ledge.
Dair divekick spikes on the initial hitboxes, like Sonic's. You bounce up on hit to help you recover. Unlike Sonic, you are almost certainly dead if you miss it.
Fair and Bair can be angled up or down but it doesn't seem to affect damage.

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
You should just make a public google spreadsheet sorted by the initiating move and you can easily include links and videos in it.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Chibi-Chan Chibi-Chan

Would it be possible for you to check if you can throw the holy cross behind Richter/Simon and then use the return as a way to cover approaches?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Chibi-Chan Chibi-Chan

Would it be possible for you to check if you can throw the holy cross behind Richter/Simon and then use the return as a way to cover approaches?
Sure thing, I'll check this out later. Am out most of today, but the if you don't touch the cross it keeps going for a bit. The problem is that even the "short" throw has good range so it will be an extremely slow setup, it's a lot slower than boomerang, and these guys have very bad walk speed.

Actually, why would you approach as the Belmont's? They will be the ones camping everyone else, they don't even want to approach as even their normals are slow and long range.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Sure thing, I'll check this out later. Am out most of today, but the if you don't touch the cross it keeps going for a bit. The problem is that even the "short" throw has good range so it will be an extremely slow setup, it's a lot slower than boomerang, and these guys have very bad walk speed.

Actually, why would you approach as the Belmont's? They will be the ones camping everyone else, they don't even want to approach as even their normals are slow and long range.
Thanks, and no worries. I appreciate that you're testing this out for me. But yeah, how long it actually takes to set up and how far the cross goes back on the return were the few things which put doubt in my mind as to whether or not this would be viable.

Regarding the approaching, under the assumption that this works the way I'm thinking it is. Then whilst you use the cross as cover your opponent is left with either shielding the cross which can lead into a grab, jumping away which could get them into Simon/Richters rangy aerials or rolling/spot-dodging which can be responded to via down tilt. It seems fairly effective, and I wouldn't see much reason not to mix it up with their campy playstyle and apply it where I see fit.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, and no worries. I appreciate that you're testing this out for me. But yeah, how long it actually takes to set up and how far the cross goes back on the return were the few things which put doubt in my mind as to whether or not this would be viable.

Regarding the approaching, under the assumption that this works the way I'm thinking it is. Then whilst you use the cross as cover your opponent is left with either shielding the cross which can lead into a grab, jumping away which could get them into Simon/Richters rangy aerials or rolling/spot-dodging which can be responded to via down tilt. It seems fairly effective, and I wouldn't see much reason not to mix it up with their campy playstyle and apply it where I see fit.
Technically possible, as the return projectile goes pretty far. The issue is that it takes REALLY long to come back and then you gotta jump it if you want it in front of you, at which point you barely get to do any offense. You're actually better off doing a normal quick-throw forward and running after it, the gap is not THAT big, but they can escape a grab after shielding.

Top Bottom