• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Would You Care About these Characters if they weren't in "leaks"?

Would You Really Care About Them?

• Bandanna Waddle Dee

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Dixie Kong

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Impa

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Chorus Men

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Chibi Robo

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Here are a list of characters that I believe contains a bunch of popular choices that were in leaks to get in the game and that a few are stupid but believe that people wouldn't care about them if it wasn't for the "leak". So check off the ones that you would actually care about.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
I think that leaks just bring light to characters one hadn't initially thought of. But I can say that I supported Bandana Dee and either Dixie Kong or K. Rool before leaks.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
I think that leaks just bring light to characters one hadn't initially thought of. But I can say that I supported Bandana Dee and either Dixie Kong or K. Rool before leaks.
I believe no one thought of the Chorus Men, Impa, or really Waddle Dee (i view as a waste like toad) until the leaks especially Chorus men and Impa.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think people have a tendency to jump on the bandwagon whenever a character was in a leak...
Chorusmen went from zero to hero once Gematsu was considered some what credible.

The one thing that bothered me about the character forums is whenever a new IP, or Hyrule Warriors playable character got confirmed... or a "credible" leak suggested characters, you would immediately see a support thread pop up and a bunch of people flocking to it like they always loved that character.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
I believe no one thought of the Chorus Men, Impa, or really Waddle Dee (i view as a waste like toad) until the leaks especially Chorus men and Impa.
I agree with your thoughts on Chorus men and Impa, and somewhat Bandana dee. I started wondering if Dee would show up the day Return to dreamland released.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah. I want Dixie really bad. And while Chibi Robo isn't among my most wanted, I definitely loved that game on the GameCube and would be happy to see him in.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Right from the start I always thought that Impa had the best shot at becoming the next playable Zelda character in Smash Bros. This was long before she was ever mentioned in any leaks, and there was a small following of Impa fans right here who thought she was the more likely candidate from Zelda. The main thing about Impa is after Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, Impa is the most recurring and most important character in the franchise. Yes, Tingle was a rather recurring character, but none of his roles were ever really all that important.

Bandana Dee? Trust me, you're COMPLETELY wrong about him. Bandana Dee had a huge following on Smashboards long before any leaks brought him up. Granted, the leaks probably made Bandana Dee more popular, but he still had a pretty big following.

Although I honestly do consider Bandana Dee reaching into the bottom of the barrel a bit, he is the fourth most important character in the Kirby franchise. I'd still rather have Magalor from Kirby if anyone (and I've never played a single Kirby game in my life).

Chibi Robo was never on any leaks that I know of.

Dixie Kong was added to a lot of leaks precisely because she's a popular character in the DK franchise, probably the most popular playable DK character overall. K. Rool tremendously dwarfs her in popularity as a playable DK character in Smash Bros., but Dixie is extremely popular in the DK franchise in general, and the main reason she was featured in leaks was due to her return in Tropical Freeze. (If K. Rool had come back in either Returns or Tropical Freeze, he'd have been in all the leaks.)

Chorus Men are the one character that was legitimately never brought up or considered before being mentioned on a leak. The most I saw about Chorus Men was an idea for an Assist Trophy, and that was really a joke comic someone posted online.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Right from the start I always thought that Impa had the best shot at becoming the next playable Zelda character in Smash Bros. This was long before she was ever mentioned in any leaks, and there was a small following of Impa fans right here who thought she was the more likely candidate from Zelda. The main thing about Impa is after Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, Impa is the most recurring and most important character in the franchise. Yes, Tingle was a rather recurring character, but none of his roles were ever really all that important.

Bandana Dee? Trust me, you're COMPLETELY wrong about him. Bandana Dee had a huge following on Smashboards long before any leaks brought him up. Granted, the leaks probably made Bandana Dee more popular, but he still had a pretty big following.

Although I honestly do consider Bandana Dee reaching into the bottom of the barrel a bit, he is the fourth most important character in the Kirby franchise. I'd still rather have Magalor from Kirby if anyone (and I've never played a single Kirby game in my life).

Chibi Robo was never on any leaks that I know of.

Dixie Kong was added to a lot of leaks precisely because she's a popular character in the DK franchise, probably the most popular playable DK character overall. K. Rool tremendously dwarfs her in popularity as a playable DK character in Smash Bros., but Dixie is extremely popular in the DK franchise in general, and the main reason she was featured in leaks was due to her return in Tropical Freeze. (If K. Rool had come back in either Returns or Tropical Freeze, he'd have been in all the leaks.)

Chorus Men are the one character that was legitimately never brought up or considered before being mentioned on a leak. The most I saw about Chorus Men was an idea for an Assist Trophy, and that was really a joke comic someone posted online.
Well Tingle did get his own game remember? Also I put Chibi and Dixie on there to have votes that people actually did care about before their "leaks". Also Chibi was in a leak a few months ago along with Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Egad. Here is a link to a video covering it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3h4Lxvgbk&list=UU5Xe9TQEX8-jUGQCoc0l_NA Also I would rather see a Rhythm Heaven Representative that doesn't necessarily have to be the chorus men you know what I am saying?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Having enjoyed Tropical Freeze(Dixie), Return to Dreamland(Bandana Dee) and Hyrule Warriors(Impa), yes.

Hyrule Warriors was more recent admittedly, but she still had some fandom from Skyward Sword and whilst I'm not personally a fan of Chibi Robo, he's got a fanbase that have been asking for him here.

You may have a point with Chorus Men, however, as no one to my recollection specifically picked Chorus Men prior to Gematsu Leak. There were Rhythm Heaven characters people wanted but Wrestler, Karate Joe, Beat Girl and Marshall all had bigger Smash fanbases here on Smashboards.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I only care about Impa and Dixie; I think they deserve spots on the roster but I can live without them.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Having enjoyed Tropical Freeze(Dixie), Return to Dreamland(Bandana Dee) and Hyrule Warriors(Impa), yes.

Hyrule Warriors was more recent admittedly, but she still had some fandom from Skyward Sword and whilst I'm not personally a fan of Chibi Robo, he's got a fanbase that have been asking for him here.

You may have a point with Chorus Men, however, as no one to my recollection specifically picked Chorus Men prior to Gematsu Leak. There were Rhythm Heaven characters people wanted but Wrestler, Karate Joe, Beat Girl and Marshall all had bigger Smash fanbases here on Smashboards.
I know in response to chorus men but, I put Chibi Robo on there for an actual option I knew that was in a leak and should have support.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Bandana Dee, Dixie, Impa, and Chibi-Robo yes. Wait, Chibi Robo was in a leak?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Dixie was my most wanted DK character, I need my hair fighter in smash bros. And the only people that wanted Chorus Men was because of the gematsu leak. They were never even requested before but I would welcome them if they made it in a smash game.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Chibi Robo is the only character I care about on that list. I've been supporting him since the start of speculation for these games.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There were definitely fan bases for Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Impa, and Chibi Robo prior to any of them appearing in leaks (I don't actually recall Chibi Robo being in a leak...).

Chorus Men, though, owe their popularity entirely due to the Gematsu leak. That trio of characters was never even considered prior to being "leaked," and once they were and it appeared that they were inevitable, fans of Rhythm Heaven united around that concept. The thing is, I think the fan base for them took them for granted up until the end, so once it turned out that they weren't playable, it resulted in the Chorus Men becoming a semi-popular candidate for DLC. I mean, after being introduced to a cool concept for a character, spending months thinking the character was in, speculating how they would play, and just waiting for their "inevitable" reveal, one would probably want them in quite a bit.

But yeah, the Chorus Men are the best examples of characters people wouldn't care about if not for leaks.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Chibi Robo is the only character I care about on that list. I've been supporting him since the start of speculation for these games.
I am wondering why he is in third place and not tied for first.
There were definitely fan bases for Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Impa, and Chibi Robo prior to any of them appearing in leaks (I don't actually recall Chibi Robo being in a leak...).

Chorus Men, though, owe their popularity entirely due to the Gematsu leak. That trio of characters was never even considered prior to being "leaked," and once they were and it appeared that they were inevitable, fans of Rhythm Heaven united around that concept. The thing is, I think the fan base for them took them for granted up until the end, so once it turned out that they weren't playable, it resulted in the Chorus Men becoming a semi-popular candidate for DLC. I mean, after being introduced to a cool concept for a character, spending months thinking the character was in, speculating how they would play, and just waiting for their "inevitable" reveal, one would probably want them in quite a bit.

But yeah, the Chorus Men are the best examples of characters people wouldn't care about if not for leaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3h4Lxvgbk&list=UU5Xe9TQEX8-jUGQCoc0l_NA

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And are honestly about the only example. The grand majority of "leaks" tend to use more commonly requested characters. I think most DLC speculators REALLY have to consider this fact when suggesting Chorus Men. The simple fact is, there's no evidence they were EVER planned (just a bunch of fake leaks feeding off of each other), and if they were not planned, the chance they will ever be playable is extremely slim. That's why I rank them extremely low as a plausible DLC candidate; the only way that's going to happen is if they really were planned, and I find that incredibly unlikely.

People just keep over exaggerating them because they believed so firmly in those leaks they simply cannot let go of them. Whereas I'm skeptical of 100% of all leaks regardless of who is in them, even if I absolutely love every single character that was leaked and its got all of my top requested ones.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I truly wonder how many people actually thought Chrom was a good idea, as well.
It is clear, especially wit the new Icarus codecs, that Sakurai views him as a pretty terrible option in terms of playability. Other than liking him as an IP, it is pretty sad to think fans of the franchise would want to condemn the representation of the series t such mediocrity.

He may have had a following before Gematsu, but Gematsu did for Chrom what it did for other characters, made him seem expected. I honestly think he was one of the more outright UNWANTED characters, one people actively wanted kept out of the game, not just one that many felt ambivalent toward.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only two characters that I really care about on that list are Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong.

Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Impa, and Chibi-Robo all have fanbases that want these characters in Smash (but I haven't personally seen a ton of movement for Chibi-Robo). The only exception is the Chorus Men; they were popularized once the Gematsu leak listed them. In fact, the Chorus Men thread was made after the 2nd Gematsu leak.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I truly wonder how many people actually thought Chrom was a good idea, as well.
It is clear, especially wit the new Icarus codecs, that Sakurai views him as a pretty terrible option in terms of playability. Other than liking him as an IP, it is pretty sad to think fans of the franchise would want to condemn the representation of the series t such mediocrity.

He may have had a following before Gematsu, but Gematsu did for Chrom what it did for other characters, made him seem expected, because I honestly think he was one of the more outright UNWANTED characters, one people actively wanted kept out of the game, not just one tat many felt ambivalent toward.
If the aftermath of Robin's reveal is any indication, there really weren't as many genuine Chrom fans as we thought. Most of his supporters were people who figured he was inevitable (with or without the Gematsu leak, mind you), and didn't see any other possible outcome; when Robin was revealed, many if those supporters expressed great satisfaction and awe over how the Fire Emblem representation in this game turned out.

And, as you said, there were a pretty significant number of people (a number that only increased exponentially after Ike's reveal) that believed that Chrom would have been a terrible choice to represent Fire Emblem due to how similar he is to Marth and Ike, and because he would have done the series a disservice by not showing off how diverse it truly is. Apparently, Sakurai felt the same way.

Top Bottom