• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer: Staying, Changing, or Leaving?

Staying, Changing, or Leaving

• Staying: He'll be the same guy from Brawl

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Changing: He and/or his Pokemon will be changed

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Leaving 1: The trainer himself will be gone, but the three Pokemon will remain, whatever they may be

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leaving 2: He and his Pokemon are gone

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Fat Kid

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys!
I want to talk about a very interesting character today: the Pokemon Trainer
So today I ask, do you think one of the following:
1. He will stay completely the same for SSB4. He'll still have Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard and he will still be Red.
2. He will be altered, having new Pokemon to use, being a different trainer, or both. This includes only having one or two Pokemon changed. (For example, keeping Charizard but changing the two others)
3. He will NOT be appearing in SSB4 at all, and will be replaced by another Pokemon rep or different character entirely, or have the three Pokemon, minus him, like in Project M.

So what do you guys think?
I think he'll be altered in some way in order to update with the new generations. How? I'm not sure. However, this is what I'm hoping: Charizard will remain as is, while Squirtle and Ivysaur will be replaced by Oshawott and Grovyle, and the trainer will be Ethan from Gold and Silver. The reason for these changes is to diversify the reps of Pokemon. If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, but Lucario was added into Brawl over Mewtwo due to the fact that there were too many Gen 1 reps, according to Sakurai.

Also, I didn't post this in the unconfirmed characters discussion because 1. too broad 2. this is more or less a new character discussion, due to the fact the Pokemon Trainer is three characters in one.

Dr Fat Kid

Smash Rookie
You should add an option that everything about the trainer leaves expect charizard and he becomes a stand alone character. I mean if you can.
That would be considered part of the "Changing" category. I'll clear that up, thank you.

D

Deleted member

The Pokemon Trainer doesn't have to be Red. He/She can be someone else from Gold or so forth.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Red seems most likely because he's kinda like Marth in that they don't use him anymore but he's by far the most well known.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I believe he'll remain unchanged. For the lengthy discussions in the Smash 4 general thread, apparently programming him isn't really a challenge, unlike Olimar or Ice Climbers. This, and coupled with the fact that his pokémon are among the most popular ever, he has little reason to be cut.

With Namco Bandai working on balancing, I'm sure they can make PT more useful and viable.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Shouldn't this belong in PT's forums, instead of the general Character Discussions?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Shouldn't this belong in PT's forums, instead of the general Character Discussions?
Characters not announced for SSB4 yet don't have their own forum, and the PT thread doesn't enable for polls like these.

Anyways, let him stay as is, no Pokemon can compete with Charizard, his popularity alone secures not only his own spot, but also Squirtle's and Ivysaur's.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
PT is a very unique concept and arguably he represents the whole Pokemon series better than the rest. Can't see there being any major changes, would be in the movesets in that case.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I hope he will stay the same, in terms of it being Red, with Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard.

Here's what I'd like as far as pokemon reps go:

+Pikachu (has to be there ofc)
+Pokemon Trainer as he was in brawl
+Mewtwo in it's new form as a gen 6 rep with a completely new moveset
+Lucario he fit just fine and is a great ep for gen 4

-Jigglypuff, I know shes a vet but I'd like her to be dropped for some new (not gen 1) pokemon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would prefer if he were back, just as he is, but with improvements:

(Charizard, more jumps, Ivysaur: Better tether capabilities and faster razor leaves)

Pokemon Trainer was the ONLY newcomer other than Sonic which got me excited for Brawl. But I understand that many people feel that he is over-representing 1st gen. Being that my favorite generation of Pokemon I would obviously want him to stay that way, but if I get other characters to distract my attention (Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, or even Mike) I can easily let him go. Heck, with Mega Man already announced, I'm having my hands full with Mega Man and Samus (and a possibly returning Sonic) already. So if he's back with new Pokemon, I wouldn't complain. (or why not the same three plus Lucario and Pichu?) XD

What if TRAINER is just an option to make you able to switch between 3 Pokemon of your choosing (in the roster, obviously) but at the expense of a Down+B.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Brawl Pokemon Trainer already has his own thread. Likewise, we do have a thread for the later generation Pokemon Trainers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom