• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer Only Tournament Tonight

gocubs12345

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: nvm,

@Gucubs: i though the worst was when zard flamethrowered ivy on the edge. That looked painful.
yes
that sucked

i'll play you more, i have some other good characters.

REMEMBER JOIN THE TOURNEY TEAM

gocubs12345

Smash Apprentice
Congrats Yuuki

could really use you 2 good pokemon trainer players on my tourney team.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Thank you. My apologies, but I'm not really interested in joining a team at the moment.

And good games once again to everyone I faced. Let's work hard to make Pokemon Trainer a respected character!

Although...it's a shame Steeler didn't show. I've seen him around and he seems to know what he's doing. Oh well...

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
If you guys do another PT tourny, I will def. be up for competing. I never get any PT on PT action, makes me sad haha

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully you'll manage to get that Wii available soon Retro, I'm interested in your PT in particular among others.

If we do another tournament though, let's try and make it with a few more detailed rules in a slightly more professional format. I know over Wi-Fi you can only do so much about counter-picking and stuff like that...if someone doesn't follow the rules, it's hard to say who's in the right and who's in the wrong, but we'll have to do our best by keeping in contact with some sort of tourny-chatroom to deal with such things. Hopefully every Trainer participating will be honorable.

That said, we should at least have more stages, and besides, we're only using PT, so the only real character counterpick is which Poké you start with (unless you're randoming), so stage picks are all you have to worry about. At the Rutgers weeklies, ROT8 went off of the generally-agreed upon random-neutrals for the first match, and then a list of counter-picks allowed for the second and third matches (match loser picks stage). Finals were boosted to 3 outta' 5, and the entire thing ran in a double-elim format. It worked for in-person matches, though perhaps single-elim bracketing would be better for an event online with a lesser expected turnout.

We should organize this over the coming days and have people tell us what their best days are to participate. Saturday, Sunday, or one of the following weekdays?

Basically, the whole point of the event will be to learn as much as we can from each-other about how to be a more effective PT (with lag noted as professionally as possible, not in a douchebag fashion). Determining who the best of us is should really be a side goal...in the end, PT tournament representation has been poor at best, so we need to try and fix that by making all of us learn and be better. While we won't be able to see play from characters like Metaknight, Snake, Dedede and crew, we at least have a set of characters who are somewhat comparable in their games (Squirtle - Metaknight, Ivysaur - Snake, Charizard - Dedede)...the only characters we're really missing are ones that compare to the likes of Wolf, Falco, Pit, and Marth. I almost feel like we should talk to the Lucario board and get them in on this (he is a lesser-respected Poké, after all), especially since I've grown to really like Lucario in the last couple of days and I now see him as a slower yet stronger and more versatile version of Marth. I'm starting to think he belongs in the upper-middle with PT (maybe even above him).

Regardless, let's actually try and make this happen. Should there be a new topic for it? If we're going to, here's the stages that have been utilized as random-neutrals and counter-picks at the Rutgers weeklies...we'll discuss the allowability if people are concerned about any of them. It should all be discussed since in tournaments, you're going to see more than just Battlefield and FD, so you need to be familiar with where you're fighting at.

Random-neutral

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise (irritating, but hard to not call it neutral since the stage simply tilts a bit and that's it)

Counter-picks

Pokémon Stadium (was RN, but the windmill, rock wall, and deceiving edge-rims have since changed that)
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Pokémon Stadium 2
Distant Planet (IMO possibly debatable)
PictoChat
Jungle Japes

Questionably Allowed at Rutgers (I think)

Brinstar (I hate this level because of the area with the bubbles)
Corneria (super-low ceiling, wall)
Hanenbow (tethers can get confused here, and most up + B's in general can self-gimp/move recovery platforms)
Rainbow Cruise (general WTF-ness, scrolling)
Onett (walls, though cars seem less lethal than before)

---

Mario Kart was banned due to the flat-stage and close boundaries being extremely easy for Dededes to take advantage of for the entirety of the match. Perhaps in our tourney there's no real reason to ban it, since there's obvious warnings on the cars coming and they do extremely small amounts of knockback.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
You actually just fourth'd that.

Someone set up a thread and let it run for about a week before the date. I go home tommorow. ^-^

Fearmy

Smash Ace
pictochat being counterpick??! O well, i hope many ppl don't pick that place

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Fifth'd. Or something.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is horrible IMOH. Hannbow is not less horrible, but PS2 would always works as a counterpick for me -_-

Top Bottom