• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Pokemon Stadium

Is Stadium Competitive?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

SalamiMommy

Smash Rookie
I know this has been discussed in the past but it has been an issue that has been burning in my mind and I really think that it needs to be discussed more. Melee players as a community generally take this game very seriously as a competitive esport. So why is it that we continue to cling on to pokemon stadium? I have heard plenty of thoughtful criticisms, but haven’t yet heard any support beyond “its not that bad”, “falcon and marth like it too”. But there are 25 characters in this game, not just falcon and marth, so does it even benefit half of them?

I will start by linking a post I found on the smashbros reddit and hopefully expanding on it: https://imgur.com/a/cNHDG#QGtxlCX

Recovering is degraded by not being able to see, this is very damaging when trying to ledge tech. hold too far in and you get caught under the lip, not far enough and you won’t be able to smash DI. There is a wall you can tether, but because you can’t see this hurts tether characters’ recoveries.

The rock transformation has the lip near the ledge which limits tech options and provides a wall for a shine infinite. The sloped platform invalidates the neutral game of some characters by changing their tilt/smash hitboxes. The pit and rock wall have no competitive value and give fox an infinite in both spots, pika gets a jab infinite in the pit. Characters stuck in the pit can be agressed by marth without much punishment. The rock invalidates characters with horizontal kill moves coming from the right, favouring characters with vertical kill moves both on top of it and to the right.

The grass stage has minor sloped angles, but they aren’t too big of a concern.

The windmill on the water transformation provides extra recovery options to characters who have good horizontal recoveries (Puff, Mewtwo, Sheik, DK, Fox, Falco, Zelda, Peach). However, for floatier characters, getting down from the windmill is still a challenge. So being conservative, it really mostly benefits Fox, Falco, Sheik, and maybe DK. The incline again hurts tilts and smashes, this means that a transformation can randomly put a player at a disadvantage.

The fire stage has fox infinites anywhere around the tree, same horizontal killing problems, the same marth problem, and a hole that characters can randomly fall through.

Both the fire and rock stages generally result in a standstill if a player is not trapped by a wall during the transformation. If we are to run a timer for smash, should we extend it to compensate for these moments of standstill? Is a standstill fun for the players? For the spectators?

Now, I would like to address the issue of counterpicking in melee. There are 5 neutral stages and 1 counterpick, before even addressing what stage is the counterpick, we should look at the imbalance of having 1 counterpick. If a stage is considered a counterpick instead of neutral, it must benefit some characters more than others, so why is it that there is only 1 counterpick? Are we giving preferential treatment to some of the cast and not others?

This part may bring about some controversy, but hear me out. I would like to suggest that Mute City be equally as competitive as Stadium. I am not saying that either should be legal for competitive play, but if we wish to keep the counterpicking concept, then bear with me. The cast can to some extend be divided into floaties and fastfallers, who prefer different stage types (please keep in mind this is a generalization not a rule). Fastfallers tend to prefer larger stages with smaller blastzones while floaties generally prefer smaller stage sizes with larger blastzones. The larger stages give fastfallers more room to maneuver while still providing killing potential, while the smaller stages inhibit the maneuverability and the larger blastzones extend the floaties’ lives. Pokemon stadium is a large stage with small blastzones and mute city a small stage with larger blastzones. Both contain RNG (the cars or the transformations) and walls. So I would like to ask what criteria stadium addresses that mute city doesn’t? Sure there is a lack of a ledge, but that is only a disadvantage for some characters, most others can stall between landings, similar to how the windmill or rock can save some recoveries.

I would finally like to address pride. We are a proud community, and very nationalist about our game, so I can understand the refusal to accept criticism, because it is admitting that our current system isn’t perfect. As the game ages, we see less lower-tiered characters played and more of the top tiers. But that doesn’t mean that they alone dictate the ruleset. The characters that benefit the most from this stage are Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik, Falcon, and Pika. Those are the top 4 plus falcon and pika. So why is it that the best characters get the handicap of a counterpick, while low tiers do not? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Chances are, a lot of players are biased and resistant to change due to the present circumstances favouring their character.

So I would like to open up the discussion again to banning Pokestad as a tourney legal map. I understand that people might be opposed because it will shrink our variety by one more stage, but Pokemon Stadium does not add variety in a competitive fashion. Plus, the majority of our gameplay is during friendlies, and I feel many people forget that we are free to choose any map we’d like for that.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I fell through the stage last tournament. I m2k angled back but my opponent had all stage control so l lost. I won't miss it if it's gone tbh.

Speaking of jank then FD is the only stage without, but it takes away the extra layer of platforms unfortunately.

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
IMHO, the "jankness" of pokemon stadium is overstated quite frequently and the biggest thing I see when it comes to this is the transformations.

Yes, the transformations are random, however there is a visual indicator informing both players when each transformation is happening and it gives you plenty of time to account for the transformations. And also, the stage will cycle through all four of the transformations before repeating, which reduces the amount of randomness experienced even more.

On the other hand, a stage like Yoshi's Story features Shy Guys that fly with complete randomness which can dramatically stunt characters with projectiles, or dramatically extend hitboxes. And although I don't personally think Yoshi's should be banned, its worth bringing up to make the point that randomness or jank isn't exclusive to Stadium.

In responce to OP's thoughts on Mute City, while I personally wasn't playing when Mute City was legal, the cars itself pose as a damaging stage hazard that in some cases is unavoidable. This both is a nuisance to players who are trying to link combo's via techniques such as tech chasing and can be fatal if the opponent follows up on an unavoidable situation. There are also points in the transition where the stage is a single flat platform which gives characters certain recovery advantages and the ability to freeze combat that other characters don't have, for example Peach floating underneath the thin platform in order to stall. While both Stadium and Mute City feature transformations, Mute City's can have a much more drastic impact on who comes out on top, and it definitely can be argued that it is more debilitating than Stadium.

Interesting discussion though, I look forward to what people have to say.

(Edit) Also, S SalamiMommy whens the DasaniBongWater money match?

Last edited:

IPML

Smash Rookie
I gotta say stadium can be pretty awful but it sure isn't as bad as MC, which has hazards and more extreme transformations. I agree with you on the fact that having only one counterpick stage isn't optimal, but would prefer to relook at if we can add back in a stage to be on the counterpick list. As I'm looking at the stages that aren't legal that could maybe be legal, (KJ64, Peach's Castle, MC, YI64) give even more advantage to high tiers, especially fox, which makes the legal stage discussion that much harder.

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
As I'm looking at the stages that aren't legal that could maybe be legal, (KJ64, Peach's Castle, MC, YI64) give even more advantage to high tiers, especially fox, which makes the legal stage discussion that much harder.
IMO, most of the stages you listed would be more beneficial for higher tier floaties like Peach, with the exception being Peach's Castle. Yoshi's 64 is far too large to be considered and the clouds allow high air mobility characters to camp way too effectively. The case is similar for Kongo, albeit to a lesser degree. The platforms also encourage circle camping and the ledge is horrible for characters with tether recoveries. Peach's Castle would benefit characters that can take advantage of walls, but the Bullet Bills could encourage runaway playstyle as well.

Out of all of the possible counterpicks, I feel that Pokemon Stadium outclasses all of the other possibilities by a large margin, and if we were to add another counterpick, the only reliable option would be to add Kongo as a counterpick in singles as well as doubles.

IPML

Smash Rookie
I don't disagree with anything you wrote, which is why I italicized "maybe." As far as floaties having more advantage, you're not wrong necessarily, but given OP talking mostly about fox I felt it was more relevant to talk about his position with the stages being added. Perhaps "high tiers" would have been a better argument to make, because you're right Peach would gain quite a bit from all of those stages being added, as would fox/falco. I also don't disagree about the problems that the added stages would have, but I do feel those are the closest stages to being plausible, so I was discussing them.

Ultimately, I don't think Kongo will be allowed back in for the reasons you mentioned, and also don't think Stadium is going to be taken out of the rotation (as much as I may personally prefer it to be) because we're already at a deficit of viable stages, and as you said it's probably the next closest to being a fair, viable stage.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
While banning stadium could make Bowser somewhat more viable, I don't really want to see it go. It's still a fun stage, and having a stage that is uneven makes things more interesting.

I would love to see Great Bay but it's too janky I fear lol.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Stadium is fun but it kinda favours certain characters way too much. In Project M if you are fox and you shine someone against Stadium's wall, they fall down. If this was the case i would be fine with Stadium being a legal stage, but being as it is with some cases of complete craziness (like Armada teching Hbox's rest and winning the game), I think it should be banned and i voted so.

Top Bottom