• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pointers Please (sorry, no vid)

Corigames

Smash Hero
So I've been working with Roy for awhile now. I know how to WD and L cancel and all of that kind of things that can transition from one person to another. I need to know info on Roy. Here's why. I play at my school, and that has made me a pretty avid Samus. But people get on to me for only playing as her. So I always wanted to get better with my Roy. I found that the dancing blade can be used as a spike, the counter rocks if you can get someone with it. Yoshi's double jump can be stopped with the up B move. Anything else to add?

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
So I've been working with Roy for awhile now. I know how to WD and L cancel and all of that kind of things that can transition from one person to another. I need to know info on Roy. Here's why. I play at my school, and that has made me a pretty avid Samus. But people get on to me for only playing as her. So I always wanted to get better with my Roy. I found that the dancing blade can be used as a spike, the counter rocks if you can get someone with it. Yoshi's double jump can be stopped with the up B move. Anything else to add?
dont let your friends dictate what player you play as. just stick with samus, she isnt THAT bad. remember, its better to be good with one character than mediocre (or worse) with multiple characters.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Play whoever you want. If you want to also play Roy, do so. If you'd rather just main Samus, do so. The only reason people would get mad at you for playing whoever your best character is all the time is because you're winning against them.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yeah, but I also always wanted to play as Roy too, this was just the shuv to try to get me there. I'm pretty sound with my Samus and I will definitely keep up with her while I better my Roy.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Don't use usmash or dsmash, (laaaaaaaag), use vb rarely, and ^b for recovery (unless it's jiggs you're playing... :)). dtilt is awesome, fsmash is awesome, nair is cool, dair is another rare ability (every once in a while). fair is cool, and bair is cool. ftilt, btilt, and utilt are alright. neutral b is good everyonce in a while. DED (>b) is one of roy's best moves also.

Also, recover with >b (only once at a time, mind you, as more than once each time absolutely slaughters your vertical recovery).

Corigames

Smash Hero
Don't use usmash or dsmash, (laaaaaaaag), use vb rarely, and ^b for recovery (unless it's jiggs you're playing... :)). dtilt is awesome, fsmash is awesome, nair is cool, dair is another rare ability (every once in a while). fair is cool, and bair is cool. ftilt, btilt, and utilt are alright. neutral b is good everyonce in a while. DED (>b) is one of roy's best moves also.

Also, recover with >b (only once at a time, mind you, as more than once each time absolutely slaughters your vertical recovery).
Thank you. I like doing the >B combo to a spike on the 3rd one. Oh, the laughs. Is it good to use the b attack as an edge gaurd, or is there something better (besides trying to do the spike of course)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Dash dancing to >B combos is good stuff.
And down smash is a nice finisher for non-heavies who are above 100% and refuse to die. Just don't miss.

Flare blade (neutral B) and forward smash are both good edgeguard options. Down tilts are easier to hit with, and you can follow that up with a n-air or aerial flare blade, but its not as powerful as a straight up forward smash or a charged flare blade.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Thank you, that is some stuff that could help. Does anyone here know the exact result of Roy's counter BTW? Is it like 2X or something?

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
Hm ill layout some tips:

1. Fsmash is powerful but use it when your almost positive it will connect. (the delay will cost you against a good player)

2. DSmash is....not very useful in any situation. Why? You miss, the unbearable lag will kill you. Literally.

3. Useful in certain combos and for sending opponents up for further combos. In fights do NOT expect or try to hit the base for the spike. Advanced players wont be easily entangled in this attack.

4. Blade Dancing moves are your friend, especially against heavier characters.

>b>b>b is one of the most effective attacks against heavy characters because the second hit draws in while the third boasts knockback.

>b>b^b, then down B. Third hit will send oppoent dow while the fourth one will hit your opponent multiple times (+fire).

5. Blazer.....used as recov mostly. (has arc over marth plus a large hit box radius)

6. Flare Blade is good as a(n) good edge guarding technique. However advanced players are more likely to "sweet spot" the edge.

Here is just a basic layout that should help you in a general area.

Corigames

Smash Hero
alright alright, this is looking good. My Roy is obviously improving from these basics. I've got another question now. You know Marth's spike (dair), the one that is near impossible to recover from? I was wondering if many of you did it. I know it is a lot harder because you have to hit them with the bottom of the blade instead of the tip, but it is effective if you get it off. The drawback is that if you hit them at the tip they fly up and get to recover easier.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
in general no its not an attack that most people or I would constantly go for for the spike. In the air it would be horrible to miss that then plumeth to your death because of roy's weight. As far as my opinion i wouldnt consider doing it as a means of trying to kill your opponent ^_^. However if you get it off its pretty sad that your opponent got hit by it.

Only type of down sending move that i use is >b>b^b. Works very nice on the edge.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, I gotta hand it to you guys, you pulled through for me. Today, I played a Marth (who had 3 stocked my Samus a few months ago O_o) and beat him as Roy. It was the most kick *** battle I have ever played. I tried to remember as much stiff as you guys said, and it worked. I wish I had a video so that you could see the fruits of your labor...

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
I always love learning new moves and using them against players that ownd me. As for techniques I use, a lot of DED and a whole ****load of fsmash. Dtilt is great to get out of a combo, and his other tilts aren't so bad. Use utilt instead of usmash, unless you're going for the spike (which you shouldn't). Dsmash is almost entirely useless unless your enemy has high percent or dies vertically easily. I personally like to throw random counters and flare blades, but only if I know it will connect. The timing for both is hard so if you wanna use them, get used to them. When it comes to edgeguarding, I use either counter or flare blade/fsmash depending on the enemy. Counter works well against enemies with large ranged recoverys, like Link or Marth.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'll throw in a few combo starters if your looking to improve your combo strategies. Dtilt followed by shffl upairs to fsmash/ neutral B/ nair/ grab. This works especially well on floaties. Dair is also good as it pops people up and can lead to shffl upairs etc. I would say unlike Marth (who chains fairs) the upair is roy's main shffl move. Also when edgegaurding if they sweetspot well (making neutral B or Fsmash ineffective) you can try dtilt. I'm not sure if it is like Marth's, but I know that if you can connect the dtilt which pops them up and immediate nair or sh neutral B is enough to finish them off.

Against fastfallers, dancing edge is your friend here, basically a lot of shffl to dtilts (if connects) -> fsmash. if you ever catch them in a double jump with a shffl upair is usually an easy Fsmash. You don't really need to be told how to edgegaurd Cpt. Falcon. For Fox and Falco if you think they are going to Firefox above the stage try to intercept with a Nair/Bair, or if you can shffl an upair to Fsmash. If they are going to come towards you or below you, the counter is a great option if you don't think they can sweetspot. If they may sweetspot firefox or phantasm the edge, dtilt to fsmash or nair.

I hope this gives you some different looks for combo options.

iLegend

Smash Cadet
Yeah btilt. That was funny.

Anyways dtilt can start your combos very easily. Dtilt to forward smash on fast fallers works well. Or you can follow up with >b as it has good knockback on the third hit. If you throw, downthrow. You can then follow their tech to get a forward smash in, another throw, or something.

For edgeguarding I don't usually use the >B>B^B as if you miss they can return from the ledge with an attack(Like Falcons knee.)and it can be meteor cancelled. The easiest way to edgeguard would be to dtilt the ledge, and follow up with a Flare Blade or forward smash, or even ftilt. Flare Blade works wonders if you connect. Against the space animals I find it easiest to just counter their recovery move. They usually go for the illusion first, so if you can time a nuetral A(ground) just right it sets the space animal up for a counter on your part.

Hope this helps. ^_^

technomancer

Smash Champion
Roy's Nair is annoying me as of late... it's got very weak range for being a sword, especially compared to Marth's and especially on the second hit. At low percents, it combos better than F-air, but at high percents you have to catch most characters very squarely for both hits to connect, because the first hit's knockback is upward and Roy tends to fall during the move.

I guess in short it's one of Roy's most solid all-arounders if it hits. I've been trying occasional full hop fastfalled neutral airs as a spacing trick, with the last hit landing right as Roy does (push a at the peak of your jump and FF), which seem to be good but again, nothing amazing. There's something to be said for using just the very first hit as well as a poke but it takes a second to set up and though flying around trying to land jsut the second hit can be effective I don't recommend it vs. skilled players (raperaperape?)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok. Because I've been trying to figure out a good approach and the SH nair seemed to work alright on the guys at school. THANKS

Tera253

Smash Ace
fsmash. fsmash. fsmash.
also a quick B near someone on the edge. Tera learned she can pull that one off quickly over and over as an edgeguarding device.
also, to help Roy's subpar recovery, midair jump, use >B once , once, once (if distance permits) before using Up+B.
~Tera253~

Top Bottom