• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(PM Lvl 9 A.I.) Is OK to fight them often?

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
I find that dealing with lvl 9 computers in this game is not that difficult even though I'm a novice. They can get some strings but they aren't as intense as I thought they would. I can even 4 stock some of them with ease.

Maybe it's because my main right now is Ganondorf who only needs to hit you 5 times to kill you(Exaggeration), but I thought they would put up more of a fight. But for the sake of learning the game and because I don't have any local friends that play PM on a regular basis, I wanted to ask a question before I make more progression.

Is it a good idea to learn the game while fighting against lvl 9 computers?

I want to know this in case fighting them could make me pick up bad habits.

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
There are some things CPU's can teach you fundamentally. Every time I fight them, when I take any damage I figure out why it happened and how I could've approached that encounter better. That's one of the very few examples of healthy CPU practice, if there are even others. One of the worst problems with fighting CPU's is they don't teach you how to play neutral against real people. Real people use projectiles/items to approach or camp, use dash dancing, are constantly trying to outthink/counter/adapt to you, use strategies, and know how to punish you waaaaay harder, as in 0-death harder. Which is another thing- fighting CPU's won't really encourage you to push your punish game to that level, you only learn to do that to keep up in matches with real people who are good.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
These are your new friends. They meet for a weekly on Tuesdays (non-students join in all the time), but since they all dorm there, there'd probably be at least a few people willing to play on most weekends.

Fighting CPUs by default will force bad habits on you, but if you're only just getting into the game, sometimes it won't affect you as much. Things to keep in mind are that:

CPUs always do the exact same thing in certain situations, so when you do punish them, make sure you don't get too accustomed to performing said punishes. For example, don't always assume that your opponent will miss the ledge sweetspot (any half decent player never will). Don't always assume they'll DI towards/away from you (varying on %s, they rarely mix their DI up). Don't always assume they'll just run up and attack you (so you can shield-grab or counter them easy pee-sy); most players will mix up their movement and bait out try bad punishes from you. On the flipside, you won't have to worry about real players having stupid reaction speeds and power-shielding everything all the time lol.

On the note of computers always doing the same thing, chances are that if you're playing the same person/cpu all the time, you'll start to build habits of doing the basically same thing in any given situation as well. Players that are used to playing a variety of other players will intuitively understand how to adapt to habits and punish you for them. This can be avoided to some extent by consciously mixing up your approaches/movement in neutral/punishes/recovery/whatever, even though you know the cpu won't care that you're mixing it up lol.
Many players also just fight level 3-4 CPUs, if anything. This is because at that low level, they still mix up their DI all the time, instead of always DI'ing optimally towards/away, so it keeps you on your toes will comboing and whatnot. That, and since they're low level, they don't really attack back that much, so you don't have to worry about getting used to their awkward approaches (which rely on their inhuman reaction speed, rather than baiting and punishing your movement/whiffed moves). Whatever level you choose, a CPU will never be able to duplicate a real player's movement and pressure, so the only way to learn to play against those is to face real people on a regular basis.

TL;DR: CPUs can be used for getting basic fundamentals down (if you're a super beginner) and learning how to react to mixed up DI (if you set them to level 3). Everything else that players do, they can't replicate, so you'll have to find real people for that (which is a good majority of the stuff you should be practicing for, especially if you consider yourself a newer-ish player).

Last edited:

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
Okay, thanks :)

I just wanted clarification because I didn't know if Project M A.I. could cause you to have bad habits. When I get a car Im gonna try and find other players in the central Washington area.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Yea im having the same problem, what do you do if you can't practice against real people regularly? I've been practicing on CPUs lately and u guys made me realize it's a bad idea..

Edit: OP I'd love to play with you if you know how to do it online..

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Generally speaking other than moving punching bags that can hit back, and pressure you: no they're not very good training tools. They help provide good pressure (if you're using the FOX BOT) just remember if you do use this to get used to the Fox pressure, that the bot attack patterns get predictable and you'll find yourself looking for the players you play to repeat what the bot does if you play a Fox player.
Find real players. Trust me it's worth it. I go to weekly tournaments and was just in Revelations 2, it helps pay off. As long as the commute isn't per se two hours long or longer.

Top Bottom