• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Rate My Sandstorm Team

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
Here is my Sandstorm Team, I put it together based on the Smogon strategy pokédex. I use this team in Random Matchups and loose more often than I win. I’m not very good at strategy so that’s a problem but I think I may have some synergy issues as well so I was hoping people could take a look at the team and make some suggestions on how to improve it. Thanks.

Lead 1: Tyranitar @Focus Sash
Sassy / Sand Stream
252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 SpD
~ Stealth Rock
~ Crunch
~ Fire Blast
~ Ice Beam

Obviously I use him to set up Sandstorm and then put up entry hazards (which is why I have focus sash since he usually doesn’t last long enough to do so without it). I hardly ever use any of the other moves since everyone I encounter seems to be able to OHKO him. This a problem.

Alt. Lead: Hippowdon @Leftovers
Impish / Sand Stream
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
~ Earthquake
~ Slack Off
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roar

If I see a fighting type on the opponent’s team I use her instead of Tyranitar. Again, I use her for Sandstorm and entry hazards, she lasts longer than Tyranitar so I’ve started using her more. If I get stones up then I roar and maybe Earthquake if I can or I switch to…

Sweeper: Reuniclus @Scope Lens
Bold / Magic Guard
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
~ Calm Mind
~ Recover
~ Psychic
~ Focus Blast

I use him to set up with calm mind and then try and sweep the opponents team. I have Scope Lens cause I didn’t know what else to use since everything on Smogon suggests either Life Orb or Leftovers and those were taken (I’m using this team for RM on Wifi so I can’t duplicate items).

Clean Up: Nidoking @Life Orb
Timid / Sheer Force
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Earth Power
~ Flamethrower
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

I use him if I don’t want to bring out Reuniclus or when I have nothing left. He sounds great on paper but I don’t think I’m using him effectively though cause he often dies easily.

The above are the main 3 I use and am most comfortable with. The next two are alternates I use if don’t feel my main 3 have good type coverage.

Exadrill @Air Balloon
Adamant / Sand Rush
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ X Scissor

This guy serves the same purpose as Reuniclus, setting up and sweeping. I usually don’t use him though because of the prevalence of grass and water types. I like to have at least one Pokémon who isn’t weak to those two types so I use Reuniclus or if I see a lot of water I’ll put in…

Ferrothorn @Razor Claw (again didn’t know what else to use)
Relaxed / Iron Barbs
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD (0 Spe IV)
~ Thunder Wave
~Leech Seed
~ Gyro Ball
~Power Whip

I haven’t successfully used him yet (my lack of strategizing) so I don’t have much to say about him.

I’m looking for advice on move sets and some general strategy, a solid trio, what to look out for, ect. Should I be using Exadrill more or Ferrothorn? Do I need to replace some Pokémon? That kind of stuff. Thanks again.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This team has lots of issues. I'm not convinced you really followed Smogon too much at all.

Excadrill is Uber- you're playin with a sub-par OU team in Ubers, which is why you're losing so much.

Replace Excadrill with:
Landorus@Life Orb
Naive / Sand Force
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Sword Dance
Earthquake
Stone Edge
HP Ice

Basically THE sand attacker to use after drill got banned :/

Put Leftovers on Reuniclus and Tyranitar.

Drop Hippowdon completely. If something comes in on TTar that it doesn't like, switch it out. No need to run both. Since you need a physical wall, AND your team dies to Scizor, I'd suggest combining the rolls of Hippo and Ferrothorn into one Pokemon:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish / Sturdy
252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Roost
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird

Spikes lets you get Hazards, you can pHaze out targets, heal up, and throw out decent attacking moves, all in one.

Now you have one slot leftover. Since Ferrothorn was the only thing stopping your team from getting mauled by rain, lets fix that now.

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Calm / Storm Drain
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Toxic
Recover
Earth Power
Ice Beam

Water + Electric immunity + HUGE SPD = stops rain easy.

Lots of changes, I know... but the team desperately needs them lol

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
Thanks for replying.

Does random matchup calculate your opponent based on tiers? That is so say since I have an Uber on my team it matches me with other players using Ubers?

Also since it's random matchup so I can't use Leftovers on more than one Pokemon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oh, you're playing on Random Wifi?

I can't really help then. I assumed you were playing on Pokemon Online, which is what most people use.

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
Yeah Wifi, which is why I was confused about the tiers.

Since I'm battling 3 on 3 what would be a good trio? Lead with Tyranitar for Sandstorm and partner him with Landorus or Exadrill and then Ferrothorn or Gastrodon for rain coverage?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I honestly have no idea how to work in the 3 on 3 world. From what I've seen from a few others that have tried the ruleless world of Random Wifi, it is horribly balanced with zero metagame stability. There's nothing you can really look to prepare for, and nothing to ignore, and there's no way to have a strong enough team synergy to actually deal with all the crap there.

I don't think anyone on this board plays on Random Wifi either, so I don't think there's going to be a ton of help around here. The only suggestion I can make is to switch to Pokemon Online if you want people to be able to help you.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
In rough order of priority:

Tyranitar - Leftovers / Chople Berry / Babiri Berry
Hippowdon - Leftovers / Red Card / Rocky Helmet
Reuniclus - Leftovers / Life Orb / Zoom Lens
Nidoking - Life Orb / Choice Scarf / Expert Belt
Excadrill - Air Balloon / Life Orb / Expert Belt / Focus Sash
Ferrothorn - Leftovers / Rocky Helmet / Occa Berry
Landorus - Life Orb / Expert Belt / Focus Sash
Skarmory - Leftovers / Shed Shell / type-resist berry
Gastrodon - Leftovers / Rindo Berry / Shell Bell

Also, BrightPowder could work on pretty much anyone.

Top Bottom