• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Rate my BW Trick Room Team

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Forenote:
After fail-posting this team in somebody else's thread (which would explain why I got no response) i finally decided it was safe to make a seperate thread about this so...

This team is in its fine tuning stages, so I'm wondering if theres anything I should change to deal with any unforeseen weaknesses it might have (e.g walled by Gliscor) Thanks in advance :)

Hippowdon @Leftovers
Relaxed
Sand Stream
252 Hp/ 252 Att/ 0 Speed Iv
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Slack Off

Reuniclus @Leftovers
Quiet
Magic Guard
252 Sp.A/ 252 Hp/ 0 Speed IV
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Recover

Chandelure @leftovers
Quiet
Flash Fire
252 Sp.A/ 252 Def/ 0 Speed IV
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Pain Split

Forretress @Lefovers
Brave
Sturdy
252 hp/ 252 Att/ 0Speed IV
-Gyro Ball
-Payback
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Gastrodon @Leftovers
Calm
Storm Drain
252 Sp.D/252 hp
-Scald
-Hp Grass/ Earth Power
-Toxic
-Recover

Blissey @Leftovers
Bold
252 Def/ 252 Hp
Natural Cure
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Protect
-Toxic

I've gone ahead and broken up this team's offensive and Defensive advatages to help with critisism.

Defensively
This team resists every type except for ground and flying, neither of which pose a serious threat to the team. Hippowdon and Gastrodon are there to tank physical and special hits respectively while Blissey funcions as a Simi-Dual wall as well as a Cleric. The team is built to allow easy switch ins. Will-o-Wisp, Thuderwave, and Toxic are each blocked by at least one Pokemon, it contains Rapid Spin support to help with Hazards, and Heal Bell and Wish help even further. The team is also immune to a total of 7 types out of 17 and has a spin-blocker in Chandelure. Every Pokemon except for Forretress has a recovery move (which is helped thanks to Wish support).

Offensively
While each pokemon contains reasonable bulk and access to recovery of some sort, every pokemon except for Blissey takes on a reasonably offensive roll as well. Hippowdon runs a bit of a Fake-Out set with Stealth rock and Stone Edge. Most people don't expect hippowdon to be carrying a coverage move when its spitting out Floating Rocks left and right, so common switch ins such as Xatu, Aerodactyl, and Dragonite might be a bit surprised when they get a huck of predicted Stone Edge in the face. Stone Edge also deals with the ever-troublesome Volcarona in case Blissey is put out of comission. Gastrodon covers the team's Water weakness and can abuse the Sp. A boost from storm drain to deal damage either in or outside of Trick Room. Forretress runs Max Attack and Payback to deal with annoying Ghost type spin blockers and can OHKO Gengar without Focus Sash. Gyro Ball and Toxic Spikes are there to deal extreme damage under trick room. Reuniclus and Chandelure are both heavy hitters and support the team with Trick Room.

Like many trick room teams, this team is able to maintain both offensive and defensive momentum during a game, and its switch in capabilities make it a real monster if you have good prediction. And, while trick room is definately helpful to the team as a whole, each pokemon (except maybe Chandelure) is able to function reasonably well in case they have to go without it for a few turns.

Flaws:
Idk, Taunt, Volcarona, and Politoed are a pain.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
First, have you actually tested this team? It sounds like you haven't from how you word things, and you really should test your teams at least for a few matches before getting them RMT'd to iron out any obvious things that show up in practice.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Yes this team was tested in PO. I've been using it for a while. Unfortunately, I'm not good at finding flaws in the teams I make outside of covering the pokemon's weaknesses. Mainly I'm wondering if there's anything that needs fixing (Ev's for example) or if there's anything I can do to make the team better.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Sand really isn't doing much for your team, it's almost exclusively hurting it.

Try using Bronzong instead. You can get Rocks AND have another Trick Roomer. TR teams usually need 2 set-up mons, and Reuniclus really is more to set up for itself. I'd suggest putting Life Orb on Reuniclus and putting Shadow Ball over Recover on it for that very reason. Chandelure, Blissey, and Gastrodon easily cover the extra fire weakness.

To be honest actually, Forry isn't doing terribly much for your team. You could likely use another TR powerhouse in that spot- as long as you're using the strategy, you need the mons to abuse it. Machamp seems like it could be a good physical powerhouse, being able to Spam Dynamicpunch and go first while doing so.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Thanks. Yes, in heinsight, Sand is a tad bit counter-preductive.

So the new team goes as follows
Changes made in Blue.

Bronzong @Leftovers
Relaxed
Levitate
252Hp/252Def/6 Sp.D
-Trick Room
-Gyro Ball

-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock

Reuniclus @Leftovers
Quiet
Magic Guard
252 Sp.A/ 252 Hp/ 0 Speed IV
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

Chandelure @leftovers
Quiet
Flash Fire
252 Sp.A/ 252 Def/ 0 Speed IV
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Trick Room

Machamp @ Expert Belt
Adamant
No Guard
240Hp/252 Att/ 16 Sp.D
DynamicPunch
Stone Edge
Bullet Punch
Payback

Gastrodon @Leftovers
Calm
Storm Drain
252 Sp.D/252 hp
-Scald
-Hp Grass/ Earth Power
-Toxic
-Recover

Blissey @Leftovers
Bold
252 Def/ 252 Hp
Natural Cure
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Protect
-Toxic

After you mentioned using more trick roomers, I also decided to put Trick Room on Chandelure. Thinking back, I've noticed many situations when it could have been useful.
DD Gyrados, Volcarona, Ninjask, DD Dragonite, Sub Gengar, and Haxorus. come to mind.

Thanks a bunch. I can't wait to test the changes :)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Remember to put those last 4 EVs in everything (Blissey's SpD, Gastrodon's SpA, Chandelure's SpD, Reuniclus' Defense)

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tell me: Does Trick Room stop weather/is stopped by weather? I'm thinking about making my own soon.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I havent played for a while but i always felt slowbro was better in a tr team then gastrodon. (I understand u like his typing but even then i personally like quagsire more)

:phone:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
You're right Wave, Bronzong can't learn Rapid spin. I suppose thats my fault, for some reason I got the idea in my head that Bronzong evolved from baltoy (who learns it by level up).

I suppose an easy fix would be to use Armaldo over Machamp since both do well under TR, and Armaldo can provide spin support.

I havent played for a while but i always felt slowbro was better in a tr team then gastrodon. (I understand u like his typing but even then i personally like quagsire more)

:phone:
Typically yes. In fact, this is an old team and initially I had used Slowbro in Gastro's slot. After a while though I decided to go with gastro since he's a better water-type counter. I've had more overall success with the team after the switch.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You don't NEED Spin support on a team if you don't have a Pokemon that's crippled by Hazards. On your team, only Chandelure really minds SR, and that doesn't justify basically wasting a slot on your team for SR support.

Spin Support is far from a necessity in Gen V, especially when you're not using Volcarona or Dragonite.

Top Bottom