• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Help This Poor Pit Main D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukrad

Smash Rookie
(Warning!! Bad English Ahead)

Happy New Year everybody

So... em... how do I beat you?

In all seriousness now, as you may have noticed I am Pit/Dark Pit player (I play Kirby quite a lot too).
Something that I like about Pit is how few bad matchups he has, the 3 worst MUs for Pit are (in my opinion) ZSS, Pikachu and DDD, I can handle Pikachu quite well with both my Dark Pit and Kirby, while against ZSS I use mainly Kirby to deal with her... but with DDD is another story.

When you play Pit, most of the time you have two options: Kill the opponent (Against light characters with good recoveries) or gimp them (Mostly against Heavy character with bad recoveries)... against DDD... well... he is heavy enough to survive Pit moves until really high %, and you can't really gimp him effectively.
Kirby can't do a lot to him either apparently (I don't have experience in the Kirby vs DDD matchup, but I have read that is a bad MU too)

So here are my questions:

1.- What are DDD bad matchups? Why? And what is THE worst matchup for DDD? (I have heard that Palutena and Megaman are good counters, and I'm the mood to learn a new character, even if is only for one MU)

2.- What are DDD weaknesses?

3.- What can a DDD player do against Pit or Kirby?

4.- What can I do as a Pit/Kirby player against DDD?

5.- What I should NEVER do against DDD?

6.- What are the best stages for DDD? And the worst ones?

7.- Which is better against DDD; Pit, Dark Pit or Kirby?

And I think those are all the question I have, I'm going to go to my first tournament in a week, so I wanted to know how to handle DDD, since, for some reason, DDD players are quite common in my region D':

Anyways, thank you beforehand and have a good day Ü

D

Deleted member

Dedede main here. I can help you out.

1. Outside of low/bottom tiers, Dedede has a lot of problems dealing with the rest of the cast. This is because he lacks the mobility, frame data or escape options to deal with other characters' superior tools. Dedede's absolute worst matchups have to be Mega Man, Sonic and Zero Suit Samus. Like you said too, Palutena solidly beats Dedede.

2. Dedede's biggest weakness is without a doubt his godawful frame data. Almost anything he does is highly punishable, and can be taken advantage of especially in higher echelons of play. His forward smash even comes out on frame 42, and the animation for Gordo Toss takes around the amount of time it takes for Kirby to do his down-B twice. He has the fastest falling speed in the game, and due to his high weight and large frame, he's possibly the easiest character in the game to combo. He suffers from a poor neutral due to below-average mobility on the ground in the air, and having a very fragile projectile that easily backfires at him at midrange.

3. What a Dedede player can do against both character is space them out by using moves relatively safe like forward tilt or back air, or go for down throw combos. Dedede's down throw is a very important tool for a character immensely flawed as he is, he can start a chain of SHFF up airs on most characters by regrabbing them before the final hitbox on up air connects and they both reach the ground that can rack up to 50-60% damage. Dtilt is a very good OoS for Dedede to use, and rack damage at low percent.

4. What you can do against Dedede as Pit or Kirby is be patient. If you just rush in mindlessly without knowing the ins and outs of the MU, you will get bodied. Pit and Kirby have great combo ability and have many options for reflecting back Gordos, such as their jabs and tilts due to how fast they come out. Pit also has his arrows to harass Dedede on and offstage. For Pit, his best kill move against Dedede is without a doubt up smash due to its amazing anti-air abilities, which counters Dedede's lack of safe landing options. Kirby has fsmash, and up throw at high percentages.

5. Things to never do against Dedede is be predictable with your ledge getup options. Gordos cover standard ledge getup very well, and he has a setup that breaks a full shield if he does an up-titled Gordo and the opponent while shielding, gets hit by his fsmash. He can also do a back air to kill you if a Gordo hits you while doing the jumping ledge getup. Also, don't try to challenge up air. Ever.

6. Dedede's best stages are Battlefield, Dream Land 64 and Town & City. Or at least, that's what the Dedede boards seem to agree on.

7. The Pits are utmost definitely better against Dedede.

Hopefully this has helped! Good luck at your tournament!

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Reiterating #4 with pretty heavy emphasis.

The best counterplay to Dedede for like 90% of the cast is patient play. Make Dedede come to you and you'll find yourself having a much easier time than constantly going aggro (unless your name is, say, Fox). He's slow *everywhere* except for fall speed, and with his huge frame and terrible frame data, there's not a lot of options he can use on the offensive if you make him approach.

Dedede will live for obnoxiously long periods of time against you. Don't get impatient and start fishing for KOs with unsafe moves. Just keep making him come to you and you'll eventually take him out pretty cleanly.

The King is bad, but needs to be somewhat respected. Don't let us play our game for even an instant or you'll find yourself in a bad spot. Patience, patience, patience.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Welcome to the forum, Zukrad Zukrad ! Great to have you around. Feelicks/Williams gave you some great input, but questions like yours would be much better suited to our Q&A thread here, or even the General Matchup Discussion here. So I'm locking the thread, but again, welcome, and let us know how your tourney adventure goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom