• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please critique my new Fox

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
I'm really looking forward for the feedback and critique everyone gives me. This tournament, I go by the tag Sandyballz and have recently decided to dual main Fox and Falco after initially being strictly a Falco main. I've been playing Fox for a little under a month, but the transition seemed a bit easier since both spacies have some similarities.

http://www.twitch.tv/northbaymelee/v/17190362

The first match of the broadcast is my Fox (Sandyballz) vs. Dr. Z aka Sheridan and his secondary Luigi. This was my first ever time playing on stream, so I was pretty nervous considering my first streamed match was against a norcal PR player. I also lack any matchup experience against Luigi, but I thought I did pretty well considering that fact. I noticed I shielded for way too long because I got nervous, and I would find myself messing up tech and having sloppy movement.

My second set on stream starts at around 35:45 against a player known to have a lot of characters in his arsenal. I did well the first 2 matches, but he adapted really well and brought it back. I do have a match where I played Falco, so if you do want to critique that one as well be my guest. I'm not really good at analyzing my own videos, so if you could show me what i did right, what i did wrong, or any bad habits you are able to pick up on, please feel free to let me know. Thanks so much!

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
-Don't drill shine luigi, because you aren't going to get follow ups on the shine unless you are super godlike or next to the edge. Instead, go for drill grab. It is much easier to get throw follow ups on luigi than shine follow ups. I'm not saying don't use shine in this matchup, because it is still a great tool, its just not the best option after dair.
-If there are openings to shine spike, take them. A couple times you could have shined him while he was in end lag of his side b/down b, but you went back to the stage and he recovered for free. This was probably lack of match up knowledge, but in general as fox you should be watching them when they are off stage to do a laggy move so you can shine them as they are in end lag.
-Clean up your shine's after aerials. Either you were missing l cancels, or you weren't shining quickly enough after the ending lag of your move, because you got dair/nair/bair on him and he was able to grab you before you shined him.
-You have a habit of shielding after you land. This usually stems from l cancelling and holding l/r for too long. Make a habit of dashing as soon as possible every time you land, and you will get stuck in shield a lot less often.
-Again, don't even try to waveshine grab luigi. It's just not going to happen. Waveshine is not going to lend itself to follow ups, but it will allow you to take stage control. Instead, waveshine luigi, take stage control, and then watch him closely to see what he does out of hit stun. Once you see what his tendencies are out of hit stun of shine, you can start using shine to make reads.
-Your recovery is fairly predictable. He was able to bair you from the ledge with ease. If you have been recovering high and he has succesfully ledge hop baired you, next time you are up b'ing and he is holding the ledge, try just going straight to the ledge. More likely than not, he will try to bair you and you will take the ledge for free. This would have been useful at 5:49

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much for the luigi matchup tips. I also noticed how much I stay in shield, so you are right than I should change my bad habit of shielding for too long into a good habit by dashing out of shield and utilizing his incredibly fast movement.

I also need to work on picking up on my opponents tendencies in game. I tend to auto pilot at times so I don't react to what my opponent is doing after my shine or what my stage positioning is.

I also feel like recovering high against Luigi is the best option most of the time due to his poor vertical movement. Whereas recovering to the ledge can be a 50/50 if Luigi is covering ledge. Regardless thanks so much for the advice

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much for the luigi matchup tips. I also noticed how much I stay in shield, so you are right than I should change my bad habit of shielding for too long into a good habit by dashing out of shield and utilizing his incredibly fast movement.

I also need to work on picking up on my opponents tendencies in game. I tend to auto pilot at times so I don't react to what my opponent is doing after my shine or what my stage positioning is.

I also feel like recovering high against Luigi is the best option most of the time due to his poor vertical movement. Whereas recovering to the ledge can be a 50/50 if Luigi is covering ledge. Regardless thanks so much for the advice
It was probably a typo, but "dashing out of shield" isnt a thing hahaha. Dashing as soon as you land INSTEAD of shielding is what I meant

A good way to practice picking up on tendencies is to do it while analyzing matches on youtube. While you are actually playing, its really hard to start making reads and playing conciously because you have to focus on executing at the same time. If you practice it in video analysis (as in when you watch a match, focus on watching only one player and trying to pick up on their tendencies) it can feel more natural in a real game.

I'm not saying recover low in general. I'm saying respond to which option your opponent is frequently choosing, and then pick the other option. Although recoveringhigh against luigi may normally be the better option, sheridan was covering high every time, so going to the ledge would objectively have been thebetter option in that scenario. Just because one option is better normally doesnt mean you can do it every time, because then you become predictable.

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
It was probably a typo, but "dashing out of shield" isnt a thing hahaha. Dashing as soon as you land INSTEAD of shielding is what I meant

A good way to practice picking up on tendencies is to do it while analyzing matches on youtube. While you are actually playing, its really hard to start making reads and playing conciously because you have to focus on executing at the same time. If you practice it in video analysis (as in when you watch a match, focus on watching only one player and trying to pick up on their tendencies) it can feel more natural in a real game.

I'm not saying recover low in general. I'm saying respond to which option your opponent is frequently choosing, and then pick the other option. Although recoveringhigh against luigi may normally be the better option, sheridan was covering high every time, so going to the ledge would objectively have been thebetter option in that scenario. Just because one option is better normally doesnt mean you can do it every time, because then you become predictable.
Watching high level Fox videos and reading your advice helped me realize that I need to pick my spots and times when to shield, because many times putting up shield can be unnecessary and put myself in a disadvantageous position.

I need to work on the analyzing part of my game. I feel like I can really improve in that department because I tend to watch both players instead of focusing on one player and picking up on their tendencies like you said.

Top Bottom