• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing online, I need to get better

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I have been playing Brawl since is came out, ive gone to 2 local tourneys, won both so i know i dont suck but when i play on WiFi i get ripped apart!

Now im not Johning about online play..i realize that the online players maybe more experienced then the local players around here...all i want to know is, how can i get better?

Im talking about generaly, not with a spacific character (or maybe if people say i should i will) i am currently 0-11 on AiB and i want a win xP

I play Smash64 competitivly and i know im good at smash64, and at melee im pretty good...probably just below Semi-pro, i find both Smash64 and melee easy to adept too, and within 2-3 months of playign them i have gotten considerably better

Now to the main point, i have been playing brawl since release but i dont see myself getting any better then when i started... WHAT SHOULD I DO

i need to get better..im not going to give up on Brawl yet...

can anyone spare some advice on getting better at Brawl in general, and then getting better online

Thanks for any advice :D

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
Find a handful of characters you are comfortable with.

Learn all about their strengths and weaknesses.

Browse the strategy forum more often.

Browse the the character form more often, learning all about their moves and combos.

Learn about stuff like spacing, play people equal to you or better and more importantly, don't get hit.

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
Ryo is absolutley correct, winning usually does come down to "dont get hit", Check your favorite characters stickies, And I dont know if this will help you, but play alone and try beating a hard computer with only 1 or 2 moves, learn when and where to correctly use specific moves. I get better with certain attacks if I do.

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
^ Computers won't work, I tried it and it did not help me, you form bad habits cause they are predictable.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
i allready know not to play computers..like i said im good at smash64, so i know the basics like short hop, spacing, pressure...ect

i just cant seem to add it togther to get a win D:

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
mmm I guess so, It has worked for me and getting better with projectiles (Gaw's chef, pikas thunder) I see how comps would do that (im not going to play comps anymore now that you mention it), If so, try using the single move technique on people on random online matches, that might work,
-Keep your hands warm (cold fingers are slow fingers)
-Keep a mindset thinking every life is your last life (dosent work as well as actually being behind 2 lives then completley kicking A** and winning the match)
Hope anything I have said here helps. good luck

Slush

Smash Cadet
Right, online play has button lag, where even with smooth connections, its slower than offline. So what you need to do is be one step ahead, seeing where they are going to be, hit the button a few frames earlier, and mainly, make sure to be cautious and not allow yourself to be hit. I feel its harder t recover than to gaurd in online play, even more than in offline.

Umeki

Smash Rookie
Practice regularly, offline and online, and check the forums for updates on your character(s) info that you use.

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
Go to bigger tournaments. You and your friends pack in a car and head to the biggest city closest to you (for gas sake) and find some more exp players.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
To get better online with anyone matches depends on who has the strongest smashes and who can spam them more than anyone else.

To get better with 1v1's like with the friend finder, which I would hope you are talking about, really comes down to being used to the small lag and knowing what makes an offline brawler good and how to adjust that to lag. The issue of why you can't pressure, space or get everything to come together online might be because you are online. Offline you might be perfectly fine, and those tournament wins well earned. When you are online though there is a few frames of difference and even though the lag might seem non existent it is there. Even something like 4 frames of lag could land you in an Utilt from Snake that wouldn't have happened offline.

If online is really all you have to play, and you don't have access to a good sized smash scene locally, then just work on getting used to the lag. If you can get around to other tourneys then you might just want to stick with sucking online so you don't get screwed up offline when you are used to playing online.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Go to bigger tournaments. You and your friends pack in a car and head to the biggest city closest to you (for gas sake) and find some more exp players.
this would be half way across newfoundland, to St.Johns >_< ....not really a trip i can make :p

To get better online with anyone matches depends on who has the strongest smashes and who can spam them more than anyone else.

To get better with 1v1's like with the friend finder, which I would hope you are talking about, really comes down to being used to the small lag and knowing what makes an offline brawler good and how to adjust that to lag. The issue of why you can't pressure, space or get everything to come together online might be because you are online. Offline you might be perfectly fine, and those tournament wins well earned. When you are online though there is a few frames of difference and even though the lag might seem non existent it is there. Even something like 4 frames of lag could land you in an Utilt from Snake that wouldn't have happened offline.

If online is really all you have to play, and you don't have access to a good sized smash scene locally, then just work on getting used to the lag. If you can get around to other tourneys then you might just want to stick with sucking online so you don't get screwed up offline when you are used to playing online.
this may be the case..i know from playing smash64 online how much 4-5 frames delay kills so...i justhave to get used to it i suppose...yay playing and losing xP

Top Bottom