• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing "Grounded" in certain match ups?

NINJATTILA

Smash Rookie
Hey I've been lurking for a long while and recently I've been curious how Puff should play against combo heavy grab heavy characters like sheik and falcon.

I've been a lot of short hop fadeaway bair to create space and crouch cancelling as well as trying to duck grabs.

The only thing is if the opponent knocks me into the air suddenly I'm getting chased by aerials and struggling to get back on stage.

Any advice on how to play this matchup better?

flmo

Smash Rookie
Ideally you should never be put in that situation, but whenever that happens I like to fade away to a safe place while maybe throwing out a safe aerial just to deter an approach. As far as the neutral goes, you should be abusing puff's aerial mobility to try and bait out unsafe grabs or moves and go in for a punish from there. Don't think you always have to be attacking, your presence can be enough pressure that they put themselves in a bad position for you to capitalize on. I try and just be barely out of reach of my opponent so they think they can get me.

Regarding edgeguarding, try and get them to use up their jump and force them to upb onto the stage by holding ledge. You can go out there and hit falcon if you think you can get it (don't recommend that against sheik) but it's easier in a lot of cases to just abuse the landing lag to get a rest.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
If you want to play a "grounded Jiggglypuff" you're better of just choosing Samus

Jigglypuff on the ground is a supreme waste of everything that makes her neutral amazing. Her SH AC bair and nair, fadeaway AC nair, FH SAF Fair into fadeback Uair, air pound etc (all EXTREMELY safe except air pound). You shouldn't be getting hit at all if you are good with spacing.

When you land out of an AC'ed aerial it is good to mix up with an immediate ground attack like Fsmash or Dash attack

Last edited:

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Against shiek: the majority of your damage should come from bair. Any time you have stage control, you should space bairs at the shirk to keep them there OR to punish them if they overextended. You don't actually play the grounded game as much vs shirk as you do vs falcon. Though when you are on the ground vs shiek, be sure to crouch 90% of the time to deter any grab attempt. This will force her to jump if she wants to approach you, so then you just have to figure out what to do vs a jump in shiek.
Against falcon: this matchup should be played very grounded. Basically anytime you jump more than once in neutral vs falcon, you're at a perfect height for him to poke you with his up-air. So you should stay low in neutral so he doesnt have that free setup. Rests are very crucial to this matchup. Uptilt is the most consistent setup imo. But you can also rest off upairs and their recovery on stage (please punish this move, it's so slow). Another trick vs mid level falcons is to wave dash under their dash approach and this can give you stage control while dodgin the attack.
Also yeah both shiek and falcon can combo puffs really well in the air IF YOU ARENT DI-ING CORRECTLY. However if you can remember to di all their aerials away from them, they should only get 2-3 hit combos at most.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Nothing wrong with playing Puff on the ground. Puff has a good wavedash and dashdance and getting a grab will net large rewards. No reason to jump much against characters like Falcon who prey on situations like that. First make them jump and then challenge them air to air.

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I personally don't play too much Puff on the ground however, I find that most of the time when watching Hungrybox, he is wavedashing nearly the whole time he is on the ground to get a grab against fox/Fsmash.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Make sure that you practice being able to act out of a wavedash as fast as possible; be able to Shffl, grab, or WD again immediately out of your wavedash. (Something I've been working on atm)

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
S0ft has a very ground based purin. not nearly as much a people make him out to be, but more than usual.

Ducking and OoS is really important for puff. Mango's puff had great fair oos.

But yeah jiggs gets combo'd hard in those areas. The best way is to avoid that situation entirely or mix up your di enough on low level players.

Like climbers, don't get grabbed. neutral is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdxdrVOoKx4 SPACING BRUH

Top Bottom