• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing against short and small characters

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Zair--Zair--Zair

it really is one of links best moves. It keeps enemies spaced and can do some damage.

I really have been working on getting it into my game but it seems it really only works on big characters.

I was wondering if any of you have any tips for fighting some of the smaller characters such as

Metaknight
Ice climbers
toon link
game and watch
jigglypuff
Olimar
and more of course

I found that zair still works on some of the smaller characters that like to go to the air such as jigglypuff metaknight and sometimes toonlink

Unfortunately small characters with ground game and chain grabing (**** YOU ICECLIMBERS) as well as small flower tossing olimars. (somewhat easier just spam out of range then they will approach)

are ALOT harder.

In other threads we have talked about fighting metaknight and game and watch but because of chain grab and small character size I am having alot of trouble with Iceclimbers who we don't mention much of. and olimar somewhat. I have tried to outspam some of them but they can either negate the spam or have decent enough speed to avoid it.

Any tips to get around small character (these) and others since one of my best moves (zair) doesn't seem to help a whole lot?

Silencer~

Smash Cadet
Use the projectiles to keep them at bay cuz spacing is key for link. And sword, try short-hopping the Zair, it works fine with me when i do it.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I do zair whenever possible especially when they shorthop approach. They usually have to because of my spam game.

Olimar
toon link
Iceclimbers

ESCPECIALLY ICE CLIMBERS and OLIMAR

those are the ones i have the hardest time with because they have the speed to get around my projectiles or can negate them with a spam of thier own. I just can't figure out a way around it

Swordplay

Smash Lord
will i get the second hit (claw part of zair) for extra damage and spacing or only the initial hit?

I may not be timing it right but I just need to ask around

Forlin

Smash Cadet
Clawshot out pri's Pikmin, iirc, so if you space it right, it should go through the pikmin into Olimar for a double hit. Right?

Olimar the best you can do is SHZair -> QDA -> Repeat, I think. He can still hit in you in the feet, or with a barrage of pikmin, but this approach lessens his chances to grab/smash/throw-more.

Or am I way off, guys?

Silencer~

Smash Cadet
will i get the second hit (claw part of zair) for extra damage and spacing or only the initial hit?

I may not be timing it right but I just need to ask around
Im pretty sure you can get both hits, but if not, the second bit usually hits if done right and i guess thats good enough :)

D

Deleted member

quick tip, Fair's are useless against Kirby (stupid crouch to dtilt T_T) instead use nairs

Top Bottom