• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players with anxiety! How do you deal with people trying to get in your head?

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
The kind of players who wait for you to approach or panic? As an anxiety sufferer myself this would be of big help.

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
Hmm... Maybe could you be more specific about what the players are doing to throw you off and what you end up doing in response? I've met people who've waited for me to approach them-hilariously enough considering my character- but I'm not sure what you mean by 'waiting for you to panic'.

Some general advice though. The most important thing is learning how to keep your composure no matter what the situation is, whether you're far behind or if the opponent's doing something to try and get a reaction out of you. Remember that there's no reason to panic. Win or lose, nothing's gonna change other than your win rate, but that doesn't matter at all. Your opponent? You're never going to meet them in real life, so who cares what they may be thinking? If they're just hanging back waiting for you to come to them, then be patient, think of your character's best ranged/approach options, and go from there. You might not even have to approach them.

Learning how to block out the other player's insults, mindgames, or whatever was a gradual process for me. Like at first, just watching the other player do something as small as walk back and forth in place was enough to make me nervous. But after a few thousand matches, stuff like that's stopped bothering me as much. Through repeated exposure, through telling myself there's no reason to panic or worry, the easier it became for me to ignore it. Kind of like trying to work though a phobia, I suppose. There are days though where I still get anxiety spikes from the things people say or do. In those situations, I immediately get offline, head into training, and beat up on the computer a bit until I'm calm enough to get back into it. No point in playing if you're feeling upset.

I think I might have put in a little too much of my own experiences there, but hopefully some of that was able to help you.

Top Bottom