• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Player looking to improve

SunhatJigglypuff

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new to SmashBoards but am really looking to improve my gameplay. I've been watching a lot of pro player vods (mainly Zero, Mew2king, and what I could find of Hungrybox on Smash 4) but my play doesn't seem to get much better. I was hoping I might be able to get some advice here. My main character is Jigglypuff (she is my waifu) and though I've played many many games with her (over 1000 in a row, I don't own the game and only play with my friends bit Jigglypuff is all I will play) I don't seem to improve much at all and I'm getting tired of getting smashed by my friends all the time. I feel like if I list my problems that might help with the advice I am asking for, so bare with me if some of this makes me sound incredibly bad. Here is what I have a lot of trouble with.

First off, I feel like every other character has a longer reach of attack than Jigglypuff, and more impactful abilities. I attempt to do short hop back airs and forward airs which do high damage but I can't ht them often because to me it feels like their characters have a longer reach and can do much more than just jab airs like I do. (I do realize this is probably just my reaction ability though)

Secondly I have a problem with combos. When my friends get one attack off on me, they make it hurt and keep following it up. But I just can't seem to land combos at all. I hit them with and air attack and they fly to the other side of the stage and before I can chase after them they have already recovered. The best combo I can seem to land is one were a do a running jab and just keep hitting them over and over and till they reach the edge. I would really like help in this area I think if I could combo better I would be a much better player.

The next thing I want to improve is my edge guarding. In Melee I could did this fairly well but in Smash 4 it feels like people can recover a lot better and just teleport back onto the stage or have a lot better up B's or something. It's hard for me to just stay a float and keep air attacking them off the stage.

Lastly is my kill moves. Sadly I almost always have to rest to get my kills. I try to kill with my back airs but they don't seem to work unless I get them to about 150% or so.

Other than that I am trying to work on my sheilding,grabs, and predictions. If you have any general advice that could help me that would be great or I would love some more advanced advice too. Thank you for reading ^.^

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Hello, I am new to SmashBoards but am really looking to improve my gameplay. I've been watching a lot of pro player vods (mainly Zero, Mew2king, and what I could find of Hungrybox on Smash 4) but my play doesn't seem to get much better. I was hoping I might be able to get some advice here. My main character is Jigglypuff (she is my waifu) and though I've played many many games with her (over 1000 in a row, I don't own the game and only play with my friends bit Jigglypuff is all I will play) I don't seem to improve much at all and I'm getting tired of getting smashed by my friends all the time. I feel like if I list my problems that might help with the advice I am asking for, so bare with me if some of this makes me sound incredibly bad. Here is what I have a lot of trouble with.

First off, I feel like every other character has a longer reach of attack than Jigglypuff, and more impactful abilities. I attempt to do short hop back airs and forward airs which do high damage but I can't ht them often because to me it feels like their characters have a longer reach and can do much more than just jab airs like I do. (I do realize this is probably just my reaction ability though)

Secondly I have a problem with combos. When my friends get one attack off on me, they make it hurt and keep following it up. But I just can't seem to land combos at all. I hit them with and air attack and they fly to the other side of the stage and before I can chase after them they have already recovered. The best combo I can seem to land is one were a do a running jab and just keep hitting them over and over and till they reach the edge. I would really like help in this area I think if I could combo better I would be a much better player.

The next thing I want to improve is my edge guarding. In Melee I could did this fairly well but in Smash 4 it feels like people can recover a lot better and just teleport back onto the stage or have a lot better up B's or something. It's hard for me to just stay a float and keep air attacking them off the stage.

Lastly is my kill moves. Sadly I almost always have to rest to get my kills. I try to kill with my back airs but they don't seem to work unless I get them to about 150% or so.

Other than that I am trying to work on my sheilding,grabs, and predictions. If you have any general advice that could help me that would be great or I would love some more advanced advice too. Thank you for reading ^.^
Do lots of tilts, and do receding aerials. Make sure to notice how your opponents move in on you, and punish accordingly. Bair should get kills earlier, unless if you are on the edge of the stage and are hitting them the opposite way. It kills most characters around 120% from the middle, and is the 4th strongest bair in the game. Also, if your opponent is living up to 150%, use a lot more Up tilts, as that kills most chars around 125%, and most people dont expect it, and it's quick.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
It's hard to say. Comboing is difficult unless practiced, and that's the same case with ledge guarding. I don't think watching experts would help (I think Hbox is not near as good at Jigglypuff than at Melee. He's pretty average in combos in my opinion), and it will be hard to improve if you don't own the game and can practice by yourself, but I'll give some advice.

1. Grabs aren't very reliable. Jigglypuff's grab throws aren't very good at following up with a combo. I'd try something else, but my favorite throws to combos are forward throw, fair, nair; back throw, back air, nair/back air (that takes some space practice).

2. Edge guarding is diffrent in this game than the other ones. It's weird, and it doesn't look like it, but edge guarding is very diffrent in this game. It's very much like combos on the ground with Jigglypuff in this game. Just a few sweet spot hits though so you can recover.

3. Keep playing your friends, and urge them to play diffrent match ups. The hardest thing about Jigglypuff is approach and what to do in whatever option. I'm also not very good at this either, but I'm improving veryych by playing diffrent match ups every day, and even have to practice adapting and reacting with other characters as well.

I hope these tips helped a little bit.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Killing should be with a good smash attack or ledge guard always, unless you have a pretty good chance for rest. (Or get pretty good using it)

Top Bottom