• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Planning out your match will make you loose

Miller

Smash Lord
"Don't think. Feel! It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory.
- Bruce Lee
Ive noticed that a lot of people generalize their matchups from videos, or just from previous bouts they've had with said character. This will make you loose. While fighting a ROB I realized that everything I usually did ended in failure, so I had to start doing stuff that I've never even thought of before, stuff that was completely unexpected, and I was able to win. Half the time I was doing stuff I couldn't even understand.

For example, whenever ROB was above me, I had Nana doing SH Uairs and I had Popo doing some upsmashes. Its like an infinite defense of awesome, and it worked, I didn't even allow ROB to approach me what so ever so he couldn't get Dsmash or the likes it. This obviously isn't just generalized towards ROB, as it can be done for any match up.

You cannot go into any match up expecting to get that amazing grab off, against a good player, It will NEVER happen. How do we still get those grabs off? By being unpredictable, which is the point of this thread.

Alot of IC are completely predictable. May it be them constantly going for the grab, or just running away to do a Blizzard. All of that I can predict in my sleep, which will cause you to get punished severely. I've noticed that people think that the biggest problem of IC players is their constant attempts at grabs. Thats not their only problem, it just lies in one of the many spun out webs that make you predictable.

You can't be taught unpredictability, you have to think of it yourself, on the spot. Going into a match and thinking of unpredictable things before hand will result in failure. After a good player has seen it once, they will counter it, and punish you accordingly. This is just a reminder, and I hope everyone takes this to heart.

Haha I guess its just the usurp of new GOOD threads that actually have a discussion that made me want to post this.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
this is so true. planning out a match means that you will try to stick to that plan and will probably wind up dying trying to get that grab/desync combo. plus thinking on your toes makes for a better mindgame and can trick the opponent into making a fatal mistake which lets you go in for the win.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
"Don't think. Feel! It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory.
- Bruce Lee

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think this is a really general problem that applies to every character. The more time you concentrate on playing your character "properly," the less time you spend on paying attention to what your opponent is doing and what is actually working.

Miller

Smash Lord
I think this is a really general problem that applies to every character. The more time you concentrate on playing your character "properly," the less time you spend on paying attention to what your opponent is doing and what is actually working.
Exactly, and thats what causes people to screw up and loose most of the time. But It's a much bigger problem with IC's because of their techs.

Also, thats the greatest quote for this topic Choknater

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Thanks haha, it's one of my favorite quotes and it really applies.

CG-focused IC's remind me of the tech-drone falcos who spawned everywhere in Melee after bombsoldier. And then we had real Falcos like Azen and Dope who would just fsmash all the time, LOL.

Miller

Smash Lord
Thanks haha, it's one of my favorite quotes and it really applies.

CG-focused IC's remind me of the tech-drone falcos who spawned everywhere in Melee after bombsoldier. And then we had real Falcos like Azen and Dope who would just fsmash all the time, LOL.
Hahaha soo truee

Top Bottom