• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pixel Art and Animation appreciation thread

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
So, I'm currently in the process of teaching myself how to make intricate pixel art and animations. I finally got Pixel Tools extension for Flash to work, and now I'm stoked. It's a beautiful art form, but a very difficult time intensive art. It's like making everything from scratch every time since nothing in the real world actually looks like pixel art does; you can't trace or copy or really even reference without being forced to use your imagination. But I also believe there is a deep subconscious reason why all generations still enjoy the aesthetic today, much like minimalism and impressionism it leaves a lot to the imagination, and it allows the player or viewer to put themselves into the character/place/mindset more seamlessly. Okay I've gone on long enough...

I'm hoping you guys post some stuff maybe I haven't even seen so I can study it but really this thread is just to enjoy what is all out there.

Anything goes - Retro Games, New games, digital art, paintings, comics, animations, etc.

I'll start by posting an animation from one of my favorite pixel artists Paul Robertson -

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That "Chiptune" version of the simpson's theme though

I think the actually ones in the old school games is better

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
For as long as I could remember, I've always had an interest in pixel art. Whether it be crappy Mario animations on Newgrounds or a memorable game on the Sega Genesis, I enjoyed how much artists could use their limited tools in order to make such beautiful designs. I first played an SNES at a hospital while visiting a friend but I enjoyed how versitile each game was able to utilize the graphical capabilities of the system. From then on, I dabbled into working with sprite sheets from some of the SNES games I played like Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island. I never did anything outside of replacing template characters in fangames to include Mario as the playable character.

Back in '03, I began watching some of Randy Solem's work with his Video Game Director's Cut content which pretty much piqued my interest in sprite animation for a bit (didn't get very far, unfortunately). I use to be amazed at the Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom series at the time.

Even though I've said it numerous times on the boards before, I make my own sprites based off of various characters from Pixar's Toy Story. Originally, they were for the fangame Super Mario War but I've decided to make them into small .gifs that I can put into my profile online. I might try to make a small fangame with them in the future. Here are two examples of the many I've made:

In the past, I tried to make spritesheets out of the old GBC Toy Story 2 game but I put that project on hiatus due to commitments. I've managed to rip Zurg, Bo Peep, the martians, Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, and the Prospector. None of the characters listed are close to completion since I'm still missing a few movement frames.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
look up my boys they do good work

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was into trying to experiment with pixel art when I was into minecraft

PigmanScientist.png

Creeper Test.jpg

Also, I tried making animated ones when Undertale came out

PseyechoUndertale.gif

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Okayyyyyy....but that has nothing to do with Pixel art or Pixel animation

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
zedotagger is reallly good at this stuff. Especially if you're a souls or MH fan (Or in my case, both) since they do a lot of stuff relating to it.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Been playing Kirby Mass Attack for the first time there are a ton of cute solid pixel animationas going on
Unfortunately the game is either 1. Too easy 2. Too frustrating, was enjoyable for the first 5 levels.

And I mean anything Metal Slug of course, the MS artists are brilliant

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i have done animation and its all in Paint and Benton movie GIF
i also made this

and here is a version without sound

and i am currently working on another animation and it will come out after few months, i have been working this since veryyyy long time ago.
not only this but i am making a whole sprite sheet for Alex kidd smash moveset as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom