• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pivot grabbing

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
I hear commentators and everyone say that you need to pivot grab to prevent a fox/falco shine out from chain grabbing.
I was wondering what the optimal way is, and why this negates their shine. Is it because it dodges their shine?

Do you need to dash toward into pivot or dash away into pivot (relative to the spacey)?
It makes more sense to me to dash away since that'll effectively "dodge" the shine.
Unless that's not the reason why a pivot grab stops the shine.

I'd appreciate clarification on this. Thanks!

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Just dash back for a couple of frames then pivot grab at like ~25-30% and you can go even further back at higher ones. Not that big a deal

AirFair

Marth tho
You have to start pivot grabbing on neutral or slight DI at 16% for Fox. For Falco I don't have a definite answer yet but I believe it is 24% where you have to start.

For Fox, you don't have to pivot grab anymore at 33% because that's where you will start uptilting and from their uairing. Don't know for Falco

if they neutral DI then I don't see how dash back pivot grab is bad considering it's safe, and your grab range is so good.

I myself dash forward pivot grab bc as long as you hit it they won't be able to shine.

Last edited:

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
so the point of pivot grabbing is to grab before they can shine. it's not dodging the shine.
why is pivoting necessary then if you just regular grab before they shine?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Because there's a gap between the grab boxes of forward and turn grab with Marth. If the fox is in vertical orientation when he falls into the grab height, he can slip through the area that neither standing nor turn grab covers. At earlier percents I believe the fox is sideways enough that at least one of the grab directions can get him. You can move a bit before grabbing with pivot to cover the gap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom