• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot DSmash?

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
I wanted to bring up the idea of pivot Down Smash. Look I know it's a far-fetched idea but I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts would be on this possible mixup.

A pivot downsmash will give you more distance and it'll send out the backwards part of the hitbox towards your opponent (assuming you're running TOWARDS your opponent). I've put some thought and experiment into and I feel like it could make a good mix up if your opponent is expecting a DJC backair. I understand that it has **** ending lag, but perhaps it could make a decent shield poke?

I mean if your'e dash dancing a bunch by your opponent and you just pull a sweet pivot down smash that'd be pretty rad I guess.

Also I want to throw out the idea of spacing your opponent with random Dtilit pokes here and there (Kind of like what marth does).

Thoughts?

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
I'd say Ness' Down B is the worst in the game, that or Sheik's Down B ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But um, yeah, I already gave my thoughts on Dsmash in that other thread, and they're basically the same for trying to pivot into it I guess (though I think a more guaranteed/hard punish scenario would be required to even think about using it, honestly...and even then there are so many other, better options, that it'd be only for stylin'/disrespectin' when you know you're gonna get the kill with it anyway)

Also, while I think Dtilt is a very useful/important move, especially for multi-jab-reset purposes and occasionally Falcon/Ganon/Spacies edgeguards from below, I'm not sure you could really just randomly Dtilt at them without at least trying to combo into it, since the range is very poor (Marth's is safer for that reason I think). Moreover, I'm not sure that you can actually get any combos or truly safe movestrings out of non-reset Dtilts, since there's no knockback, unless the opponent simply doesn't react in time to it.

I'm pretty sure throwing out Dtilts for spacing purposes would only maybe have some use against grounded approaches, since you can't really beat out aerial approaches with it. However, even then, I'm not sure what approaches if any would lose to or trade with Dtilt, aside from them just running in without throwing out any moves, or whiffing a grab or something. I think if they're to be used as a mixup, it might be alright in the middle of combos in order to (ideally) be able to get a grab or bat or something out of it as a result of the opponent not reacting in time after them.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I really, really wish dsmash wasn't so punishable because the range is great and the potential for mixups is there. If you do end up hitting with dsmash, especially the last part, they sometimes get popped up in the air perfectly setup for a combo. I've noticed it can be somewhat useful for edge guarding too, since there is a spacing available where you can have the yoyo teeter just off the edge while charging. In an ideal situation, you could theoretically cover both of Sheik's ledge recovery options in one move... however I have yet to field-test this.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
The worst move in the game? I think that prize goes to Ganondorf's Utilt.

No one asked you, noob.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, man! Insert old-school Ness fanboy reference here. Insert meaningless internet insult here.

In any case, Dsmash is not quite good enough I'm afraid.

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
tbh I think it maaay have its uses, though any usefulness would lie in the nature of its hitbox or maybe shield poke potential if anything, since clearly just the raw dsmash hitbox/frame data blows

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Whoa, whoa, whoa, man! Insert old-school Ness fanboy reference here. Insert meaningless internet insult here.
Simna knows I'm just poking fun. :p
It's true that Dsmash sucks, but I'll still use it sparingly until a lose a tournament or something because of it.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
The worst move in the game? I think that prize goes to Ganondorf's Utilt.

In any case, Dsmash is not quite good enough I'm afraid.
Ganon's utilt can do some things....like edgeguard....or punish a missed rest. Ness' dsmash is less safe than taunting.

Top Bottom