• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit or Dark Pit?

Derposaur

Smash Rookie
NNID
RobotHmsta
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new main with a reflector to try to counter with projectile spammers on FG (I can't deal with them). I've been told to try Dark/Pit, but I'm not sure which one to choose.

I'm a very offensive player, and a very disrespectful one aswell. I like footstool and meteor smash disrespecting. Which would be better for me, Pit or Dark Pit? Thanks in advance.

xfateful

Smash Cadet
Considering your playstyle, you can go with either Pit or Dark Pit. They both can do the same things. Their only differences are the way their arrows work, the trajectory their side-b sends the opponent, and their f-tilt. Pit's f-tilt has higher knockback so it can be a kill move while Dark Pit's f-tilt can be used during a jablock.

I think it just depends which one feels more comfortable to you! Pit and Dark Pit players can theoretically use both characters interchangeably but I think for most of us, we play better with one or the other.

However, a side note, Pit and Dark Pit's reflector is pretty slow. It's not really good for dealing with projectile spammers because of how laggy it is. Nonetheless, Pit and Dark Pit has the tools to deal with all kinds of playstyles so they can still work for you if you want a character to beat our projectile spammers.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, like xfateful said, Guardian Orbitars don't work well for small projectiles. But Pit's much better at dealing with Links and the like because of how controllable his arrows are. Just jump and shoot over the opponent's projectiles and you'll be set.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I'd have to agree that if you wanna reflect projectiles, Pit and Dark Pit aren't really the best option because of the move's horrendous lag and the fact that it can't be held indefinitely like Fox's. However, they do have their own way of dealing with projectiles with their multiple jumps, projectiles of their own, and their great ground speed when used in combination with perfect shields. As for which to choose, it really depends on your personal preference, but playing one means you can pretty much play the other since they're so similar.

In regards to footstooling and spiking, Pit and Dark Pit aren't bad choices. Their multiple jumps will allow for many footstool and spiking opportunities and their excellent recovery allows you to come back from pretty deep off stage.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Personally I use Pit over Pittoo, but here's a solution to what I've come up with: unless if there's something about one that you really find effective/can't stand something about one of them, there is no reason to main one and not the other. For example, I use Pit more because of his arrows, but I still use Pittoo because I like the Electroshock arm a lot more than the Upperdash arm, even though the Upperdash is stronger, the Electroshock is a much better finisher, especially near the blast lines. Pittoo also does slightly better against Fox solely because his arrows are straighter and can fend off of Fox's recovery, especially against a Fox who likes to recover horizontally. As for standard matches it's up to you, but as for custom legal matches, as long as you use the Guiding Bow (which IMO is the Pits' best custom move), then it matters less which one you choose. I say use both since there is little difference aside from arrows, arms, and f-tilts.

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
Well there really is little different between the two. They're like almost the same character. For me I chose Pit over Dark Pit, mostly because of Pit's arrow versatility. I just like his arrows better, though if that doesn't matter you can choose Dark Pit. Just choose who you're most comfortable with.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Use both...that is all

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
DPit for Colors and taunts... and victory theme :p

but I'm too used to Pit, I do miss the controllable arrows and the killer FTilt when I go DPit.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Here's what I've noticed personally:

Generally in any MU you're going to be weighing 2 factors: Pit's Arrows & Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm.
Pit's F-Tilt having stronger KB almost never matters.
  • :4pit:His Full-Hop Arrows not only slow down approaches from the opponent but they also force a reaction. It matters a lot more at high-level play than in For Glory but once you opponent shields, they only have so many options and if they're just a little too close to Pit, you can read their option and counter-attack. His arrows are also good extra damage as follow-ups from throws and can clip recoveries.
  • Pit's downside is, while his Upper-Dash Arm KOs light- & middle-weights earlier than Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm, it's only valuable for killing & damage. Sending an opponent Upward isn't as valuable as sending them off-stage.
  • :4darkpit:Unlike Pit, Dark Pit can use his Electroshock Arm to net solid stage control and set-up for edge-guarding opportunities even at middle-percents. Since the aerial version of Pit's Upperdash Arm doesn't KO, the aerial version of Electroshock Arm is just better in every way because it nets stage control and the aerial versions are much safer on block, albeit weaker on hit so you're going to use it more than the grounded killing-blow anyway.
  • Dark Pit's downside is his arrows are gutter trash compared to Pit's. Both Pits grounded arrows have a lot of end lag but their Full-Hop Arrows have so little lag that you can actually input another arrow before the first reaches its max distance...however the 2nd arrow doesn't come out until the 1st does dissipate so, because you can't steer Dark Pit's arrows into the ground to force them to dissipate, his cool-down time between arrows is set unless he hits something...which is unlikely because his full-hop arrows fly above every character's head and he can't steer them down as far as Pit's. It's also much harder to clip recoveries with Dark Pit's arrows, anything below the ledge isn't being hit by Dark Pit's arrows.
Typically which one is more useful to you in a specific Match-Up is the Pit you're going to want to use. However personal preference matters a lot more than you'd think!
If your edge-guarding-game is lacking, then :4darkpit: might not be right for you because Electroshock Arm is primarily used to set-up edge-guards and gain stage control.
However if your aim with arrows isn't spot-on or you just can't keep your opponent out long enough to fire them, :4pit: might be the weaker choice for you.

Some examples of MUs you'd want specific Pits in would be, against :4ness: & :4lucas:, both Pits arrows are invalidated by PSI Magnet. However, Ness & Lucas are both fairly weak off-stage so Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm is invaluable for knocking them off-stage and setting up for an edge-guard. In fact many characters with weak recoveries will have a much harder time against Dark Pit than against Pit such as :4duckhunt::4myfriends::4littlemac::4drmario:&:4feroy:.
Another example of Dark Pit dominance is against :rosalina:. Pit's Upperdash Arm sends Luma straight up which is pretty useless but Dark Pit's knocks Luma away horizontally which can KO it near the ledge.

However, Pit forces approaches better than Dark Pit because of his Full-Hop Arrows striking from above. Characters that would love to block Dark Pit's arrows with another projectile or reflector are gonna have a harder time camping against Pit. So characters such as:4sheik::4megaman: :4rob::4falco::4link::4tlink::4greninja::4olimar:&:4bowserjr: are much more heavily forced to approach Pit rather than just out-gunning Dark Pit's grounded arrows.

So to summarize, again this is imo:
  • Easier for:4pit: : :4sheik::4rob::4olimar::4greninja::4link::4tlink::4bowserjr::4megaman::4falco:
  • Easier for:4darkpit: : :rosalina::4ness::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucas::4drmario::4duckhunt:
Outside of those characters, it's all personal preference. You could wall-out DK with Pit's arrows or knock him off-stage with Electroshock Arm and D-Air spike his recovery. You could snipe Diddy Kong's jetpack with Pit's arrow or get Diddy off-stage more often with Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm. Find which one works best for you.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here's what I've noticed personally:

Generally in any MU you're going to be weighing 2 factors: Pit's Arrows & Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm.
Pit's F-Tilt having stronger KB almost never matters.
  • :4pit:His Full-Hop Arrows not only slow down approaches from the opponent but they also force a reaction. It matters a lot more at high-level play than in For Glory but once you opponent shields, they only have so many options and if they're just a little too close to Pit, you can read their option and counter-attack. His arrows are also good extra damage as follow-ups from throws and can clip recoveries.
  • Pit's downside is, while his Upper-Dash Arm KOs light- & middle-weights earlier than Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm, it's only valuable for killing & damage. Sending an opponent Upward isn't as valuable as sending them off-stage.
  • :4darkpit:Unlike Pit, Dark Pit can use his Electroshock Arm to net solid stage control and set-up for edge-guarding opportunities even at middle-percents. Since the aerial version of Pit's Upperdash Arm doesn't KO, the aerial version of Electroshock Arm is just better in every way because it nets stage control and the aerial versions are much safer on block, albeit weaker on hit so you're going to use it more than the grounded killing-blow anyway.
  • Dark Pit's downside is his arrows are gutter trash compared to Pit's. Both Pits grounded arrows have a lot of end lag but their Full-Hop Arrows have so little lag that you can actually input another arrow before the first reaches its max distance...however the 2nd arrow doesn't come out until the 1st does dissipate so, because you can't steer Dark Pit's arrows into the ground to force them to dissipate, his cool-down time between arrows is set unless he hits something...which is unlikely because his full-hop arrows fly above every character's head and he can't steer them down as far as Pit's. It's also much harder to clip recoveries with Dark Pit's arrows, anything below the ledge isn't being hit by Dark Pit's arrows.
Typically which one is more useful to you in a specific Match-Up is the Pit you're going to want to use. However personal preference matters a lot more than you'd think!
If your edge-guarding-game is lacking, then :4darkpit: might not be right for you because Electroshock Arm is primarily used to set-up edge-guards and gain stage control.
However if your aim with arrows isn't spot-on or you just can't keep your opponent out long enough to fire them, :4pit: might be the weaker choice for you.

Some examples of MUs you'd want specific Pits in would be, against :4ness: & :4lucas:, both Pits arrows are invalidated by PSI Magnet. However, Ness & Lucas are both fairly weak off-stage so Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm is invaluable for knocking them off-stage and setting up for an edge-guard. In fact many characters with weak recoveries will have a much harder time against Dark Pit than against Pit such as :4duckhunt::4myfriends::4littlemac::4drmario:&:4feroy:.
Another example of Dark Pit dominance is against :rosalina:. Pit's Upperdash Arm sends Luma straight up which is pretty useless but Dark Pit's knocks Luma away horizontally which can KO it near the ledge.

However, Pit forces approaches better than Dark Pit because of his Full-Hop Arrows striking from above. Characters that would love to block Dark Pit's arrows with another projectile or reflector are gonna have a harder time camping against Pit. So characters such as:4sheik::4megaman: :4rob::4falco::4link::4tlink::4greninja::4olimar:&:4bowserjr: are much more heavily forced to approach Pit rather than just out-gunning Dark Pit's grounded arrows.

So to summarize, again this is imo:
  • Easier for:4pit: : :4sheik::4rob::4olimar::4greninja::4link::4tlink::4bowserjr::4megaman::4falco:
  • Easier for:4darkpit: : :rosalina::4ness::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucas::4drmario::4duckhunt:
Outside of those characters, it's all personal preference. You could wall-out DK with Pit's arrows or knock him off-stage with Electroshock Arm and D-Air spike his recovery. You could snipe Diddy Kong's jetpack with Pit's arrow or get Diddy off-stage more often with Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm. Find which one works best for you.
I'd say that Ness/Lucas isn't good against Pit to since if they try to recover, you can just use arrows on then until they're nowhere near the stage and die.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I'd say that Ness/Lucas isn't good against Pit to since if they try to recover, you can just use arrows on then until they're nowhere near the stage and die.
I agree; though because of the way Ness's PK Thunder works Pit would do better against Ness than Dark Pit because it just takes an arrow from Pit to obliterate Ness's recovery.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I agree; though because of the way Ness's PK Thunder works Pit would do better against Ness than Dark Pit because it just takes an arrow from Pit to obliterate Ness's recovery.
Exactly, Pittoo can't do that at all

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Exactly, Pittoo can't do that at all
Jump off-stage and Down-B on top of their Up-B.

It reflects the PKT away from Ness/Lucas or pushes Ness/Lucas far away from his PKT b/c of how the Orbitars push. Unless you're somehow on the other side of the stage, arrows are a weaker and less hilarious punish than Orbitars against PKT. Dark Pit forces them off-stage more often so you have more chances to get the gimp in the first place.

Pit's method works fine but imo Dark Pit has an easier time with them.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Jump off-stage and Down-B on top of their Up-B.

It reflects the PKT away from Ness/Lucas or pushes Ness/Lucas far away from his PKT b/c of how the Orbitars push. Unless you're somehow on the other side of the stage, arrows are a weaker and less hilarious punish than Orbitars against PKT. Dark Pit forces them off-stage more often so you have more chances to get the gimp in the first place.

Pit's method works fine but imo Dark Pit has an easier time with them.
With down-b, Pit can use orbitars, arrows, airials, and Upperdash either on a top platform or under the stage.

Pittoo can Electroshock to the sides only, so what if...idk...the Ness/Lucas player is smart enough to not be on the side of the ledge or offstage. Then what?

Top Bottom