• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin properties and their significance

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
- Incendiary (Red Pikmin)
- Electric (Yellow Pikmin)

My question is pretty simple: for a while actually, I've wondered the significance or effect of each of the attacks coated with elements. Exactly how does a fire attack differentiate from an electrical attack besides the animation shown? Also, I'm not talking about immunities either, but rather, extra effects.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
heres my guess,
white's poisonous properties > yellow's electrical properties > red's fire properties
the red's will probably be the weakest because they are the only ones the dojo mentions has an immunity and that's fire. I'm not so sure about whether yellow or white is stronger, but I'm assuming that the whites will be rarer than the yellows so their attack might be better. Other than possible damage differences there really isn't much difference

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Ahh, I see what you're saying but I guess this question can also be somewhat of a general question. Well, I guess I'm asking more along the lines of extra effects that each property might have? I originally thought something like fire having a DoT (Damage over Time) effect but that seems to be poison's trait already. Perhaps fire has a stacking ability /burn where fire damage stacks upon each other?

For example, a three Red Pikmin attacking one enemy would result in 5% from each attack of each of those three Pikmin because the enemy is being singed, whereas if only one Red Pikmin were attacking the enemy, each swing would only do 2-3%? Does that sound reasonable? :p

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
That's what I was thinking with poison, but with the fire, I think it'll be something else. Looking at the Dojo, the white Pikmin latch on to cause poison damage. Maybe the fire does DOT without latching on?

What effect did fire have in Melee?

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
So what you're saying is that the more of a Pikmin that has special properties is on an opponent the stronger it's special property is? Sounds reasonable to me, but we're just going to have to wait and see. With all these pikmin that have special attacks that kinda makes the Blue one the weakest huh... Minus durability of course.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
heres my guess,
white's poisonous properties > yellow's electrical properties > red's fire properties
the red's will probably be the weakest because they are the only ones the dojo mentions has an immunity and that's fire. I'm not so sure about whether yellow or white is stronger, but I'm assuming that the whites will be rarer than the yellows so their attack might be better. Other than possible damage differences there really isn't much difference
This is all wrong. The DOJO also mentions that the red have high attack power. So why would reds be the weakest and why would Sakurai lie to us?

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
That's what I was thinking with poison, but with the fire, I think it'll be something else. Looking at the Dojo, the white Pikmin latch on to cause poison damage. Maybe the fire does DOT without latching on?

What effect did fire have in Melee?
That actually sounds pretty good too.
And yeah, what DID the fire do in Melee anyways? Like Link's Fire arrows and whatnot, what properties did they contribute...?

ACTUALLY. Now that I think of it, didn't fire just have an increased chance to phase or stun the opponent? I mean, Bowser's Fire Breath kind of just nullified movement. Y. Link's arrows tossed them into the air...? Ehh, I don't know where I'm going with this haha. Refer to my last question: What did fire do in Melee?

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I thought it might have a stun effect too, like how you could hold someone in place with a fire flower, but then I thought isn't it the case that you always get stunned a bit when hit? So the fire flower was hitting you really rapidly so it would seem like you were stunned. Same with Bowser's fire, I think.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
I think we're over analyzing things, it probably just means it does more damage than usual, or damage adds up better with certain pikmin.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I think fire is just a graphical effect, I never heard of the fire from Melee having any actual bearing on an attack's properties.

Poison will probably work like the flower head status or magnifying glass, ie slow percent-by-percent increase over time.

Electricity could very well just be a graphical effect too, like Pikachu's attacks. Of course, if anyone can really prove that fire and electricity did something different from regular attacks in Melee, by all means prove me wrong.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
I just can't imagine Sakurai mentioning the fact that the Pikmin have incendiary properties under the traits unless it did something, y'know. Gah. Haha.
oh by the way bowser breaths fire. It looks like fire and makes little smoke clouds come off your body. it hurts you. THE END.

Masterem243

Smash Lord
You forget about the others.

White Pikmin- Poisons the enemy that he's attacking.
Blue Pikmin- Will not drown if they fall in the water (The Summit)
Purple Pikmin- Will crash into an enemy instead of land.a

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I remember right, blue Pikmin can breathe in the water. However, no one actually swims in this game.

It also seems possible to block attacks from the Pikmin with your shield. That could limit Olimar's long range capabilities.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
If I remember right, blue Pikmin can breathe in the water. However, no one actually swims in this game.

It also seems possible to block attacks from the Pikmin with your shield. That could limit Olimar's long range capabilities.
Mm, I believe there was something said somewhere that one can swim momentarily on stages such as Delfino Plaza and The Summit, that's besides the point though. ;p

ANYWAYS. The new update about the stickers convinces me more that the Fire and Electric properties differ from normal attacks (and each other for that matter). If you don't know what I mean, look at one of the later screens from the update on the Dojo. It shows a list of stickers about to be applied to Kirby and a number of the stickers have the words "Fire" or "Electric" in describing the sticker. Note that these properties are also placed similarly to the "Launch" descriptions which we can all assume pretty accurately that this is an obvious trait on some of the attacks, which leads me to what convinces me more about the "Fire" and "Electric" properties differentiating ;].

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Mm, I believe there was something said somewhere that one can swim momentarily on stages such as Delfino Plaza and The Summit, that's besides the point though. ;p

ANYWAYS. The new update about the stickers convinces me more that the Fire and Electric properties differ from normal attacks (and each other for that matter). If you don't know what I mean, look at one of the later screens from the update on the Dojo. It shows a list of stickers about to be applied to Kirby and a number of the stickers have the words "Fire" or "Electric" in describing the sticker. Note that these properties are also placed similarly to the "Weapon" and "Arm" descriptions which we can all assume pretty accurately that are obvious traits on some of the attacks, which leads me to what convinces me more about the "Fire" and "Electric" properties differentiating ;].

NeoZ

Smash Ace

ANYWAYS. The new update about the stickers convinces me more that the Fire and Electric properties differ from normal attacks (and each other for that matter). If you don't know what I mean, look at one of the later screens from the update on the Dojo. It shows a list of stickers about to be applied to Kirby and a number of the stickers have the words "Fire" or "Electric" in describing the sticker. Note that these properties are also placed similarly to the "Weapon" and "Arm" descriptions which we can all assume pretty accurately that are obvious traits on some of the attacks, which leads me to what convinces me more about the "Fire" and "Electric" properties differentiating ;].
Edited double post FTL?

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
So, I played a little Brawl (recently in Asia) and I didn't really notice the difference between the different Pikmin when you throw them (except the big ones. They do hit harder). Perceptually.

That is to say, there probably is some difference, I just couldn't tell from just playing the game for a few hours.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, so, I forgot to mention that I recently had the opportunity to play an imported copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I was ridiculously excited. I got to play Pikmin & Olimar (Or simply Captain Olimar as I like to call him, anyways). Yeah, I did get an overall grasp of each Pikmin and their properties.

Fire just seemed to phase a bit more when whipped (The fire pikmin in Olimar's hand)
Electricity seemed to have the knockback.
There didn't seem to be anything special with the Blue's whip.
Poison whip had a poison effect.
Purple probably had further knockback but I can't confirm.

I can't tell say much else unless people ask me questions because I can't think of anything to put haha.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
For those of you unaware to the information in Echo's guide now stickied at the top of this forum, I suggest you check it out, not only does it have very detailed information on this subject, but also a lot of great information on other aspects of Olimer play.

-True

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
For those of you unaware to the information in Echo's guide now stickied at the top of this forum, I suggest you check it out, not only does it have very detailed information on this subject, but also a lot of great information on other aspects of Olimer play.

-True
exactly why i said this topic is pointless

sly1080

Smash Rookie
electricity causes more stun, like, notice how it takes forever for your opponent to move after you hit them with Zelda's heel, or Samus' charged shot, or most of Pikachu's moves

Top Bottom