• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu??

PlayaFritz

Smash Apprentice
After looking around on the boards i have found no real indication or explanation about this matchup. The phanna chart gives it a 4 meaning Yoshi would take 4 out of 10 with Pika, but I have been finding this rather dificult playing an even competant pikachu. This matchup has its ups and downs though. Just want to see what you guys think. Also I think some people in this thread shold make a matchup thread strictly for Yoshi. The one in Bringers guide is good but isnt complete, and doesnt list nearly all of Yoshi's mathcups. I have also heard that the phanna chart is incorect with a lot of teh lower tier matchups. I just wanted to see what you guys think...thx in advance

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Pikachu eh? Just don't get hit by the usmash, and you should be able to go through a lot of his attacks with a nicely timed DJC or just CCing. His smashses are annoying, but nowhere as quick as yours. Don't try to clash cancel the usmash, since it has multiple hitboxes.

Pikachu is a middle weight, meaning you can get some good combos in, so make sure you have your aerials down.

Tilt plenty.

Eggs aren't particularly effective here, since alot of Pikachu's quick attacks can break them without damage, so only use them for edgeguarding pretty much.

I don't really have much information for this matchup though.

For the matchup thread thing. Shiri made a thread listing links to all of the Yoshi matchup threads in the Yoshi forum, so that should suffice.

technomancer

Smash Champion
With Pika you just have to be fast and occasionally grab, and don't get grabbed. You can space him all day, and he'll find it very hard to time any kind of edgeguard on you that you can't DjC through. Airdodge out of upsmash->thunder and make sure to DI med-high % upsmash and you'll be dastardly hard to kill off the top.

You have three main advantages over Pika:
1) High Priority Smashes
2) Forward Air (great for spacing and eating jolt spam)
3) DjC

Some things to avoid are probably eggs and your shield, so just keep on the move an stay semi-aggressive, and rely on your spacing and power. It's hard for him to take a stock, so just beat him down alot.

Velox

Smash Ace
I actually get to play the best Pikachu in Texas sometimes, so I know a decent amout about playing a Pikachu. There was a topic about this some time ago, and I remember Bringer mentioning how similar the mechanics are between Pikachu and Fox, and I totally agree. Pretty much, Pikachu is just a less dangerous Fox imo. You can make a little more mistakes and get away with it. Against these shffl/jump intensive characters, I find just dash dance camping (or not moving at all), and just waiting to punish jumps is the way to go. Just wavedash back and attack/grab them when they land, pretty standard stuff, yet very important in this match. If the Pikachu starts overshooting n-airs (they will), I think you can just u-tilt/u-smash/or f-tilt them out of that. Maybe spam some eggs every now and then to get the Pikachu on the offensive. So yeah, against Pikachu just sit back and get a good read on the Pikachu and try to anticipate what the Pikachu is going to do and hit them out of it, if he starts spamming neutral 'B', I dunno, find a platform or something... the Pika I play never really gets in spam wars with me though, so I don't really know much about who has projectile superiority.

If you're still losing consider that you're not reading your opponent well enough.

It's probably an even match up, just be glad you're not Jigglypuff...

Lastly... ...take him to Mute City <<

Top Bottom