• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu edgeguarding techniques

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
PIKACHU EDGE GUARDING TECHS~!!~~!@@!@#!!%$!%$

I'm not sure where this should go but I don't think its in any other threads (as far as I know), and I think this is extremely important. Edgeguarding techniques are extremely important in a meta game (in my opinion), and thus all players should get good at them. They should learn

A. how to edgeguard characters, and

B. how not to edgeguard characters.

These categories can be broken down into 3 separate categories.

1. Enemy is on edge trying to come on to the stage

2. Enemy is off the stage trying to get on stage, you are on stage. and

3. Enemy is off the stage trying to get on, and you are on the edge.

Now, i consider myself to have a relatively good pikachu, but definitely not even close to the best, and I am not experienced against most of the characters. Although I have found a few things that work against most, if not all characters. And things that work against only some of the characters.

I'm hoping that people could help add to this thread, as i know nothing about edgeguards that only work against certain characters, so other pika users of have specialties against certain characters help.

Now for the basic things I know, I would write more but I am tired and have to get up early, hopefully this will stay as a thread so more people can contribute and use this to help their meta game.

First off, my favorite edgeguarding technique when they are on the ledge and I am on the stage. I run at them, and right before I am in range of their ledge attack or they are going to get back on the stage, I short hop dair so it hits right above the ledge and then continues a little past the ledge, I like this because I THINK there are frames in get up attacks/get up things such as rolling or just walking up on it, that are not invincible. The dair hits on every frame, and so if timed right, is almost a guaranteed hit. The reason I continue off the stage is so I can follow it up (if I miss) with a bair/fair back onto the stage (depending on how you are facing when you start the dair) and if they didnt do the roll to get up, I have never missed with this part. The good thing about this, is if you hit with the dair, it almost always hits them back off the stage, putting you in position again for an edgeguard, also, if you miss and hit with the bair, if they don't smash di, you can angle it so you hit them off the stage again.

Next, another edgeguarding tech i used to do was d smashing right by the ledge, causing the enemy to get hit by some of the last hits of the d smash if he doesnt get off the ledge fast enough and his invincibility runs out. This can cause a stage spike, or it can push them under the stage making it very hard to recover.

Finally for this type of edgeguarding, if I am a certain distance from the ledge, I f smash so that it hits as they are coming up (remember the non invincible frames I was talking about?), and if they are at a high enough percentage, it has a good chance of killing.

Thats the end of THAT type of edgeguarding, now for when we are on stage and they are off.

If they are below the stage, i like a running off fair, if caught right after they use their 2nd jump, you can qa to the stage and edge hog them, causing a relatively quick kill if they are at low percentages, I also like to get below the player off stage, and do a jump and dair them, causing them to hit almost straight horizontally towards the break point. Rising nairs also work this way.

Another thing to do, if you think they are gonna do something like falco/fox's phantasm, or ikes quick draw, you can do a running thunder, creating a wall blocking them from the edge.

There are many more edgeguarding techs when running off the stage, so experiment, I don't feel like going into all of them right now.

Finally, edgeguarding techs while you are hanging on the edge (my personal favorite :D).

One i use a ton, is if the character is under you and coming up with something like fox/falcos firefox/bird. I hit off to the side so that i fall regularly, and instantly hit A, making it so i hit them with a very weak nair, causing them to hit just a little to each side, and giving me very little lag time till i can do a qa to the ledge. Allowing an edgehog. Quick warning to this, some characters are not good to do this against, I.E. Mk, who will aerial loop you to a stage spike, usually ending in a death. Or rob who's nair hits relatively far above him and can also cause a stage spike. Ikes up B who will hit you straight down and basically a suicide attack if used properly, or will just hit you down if he reaches the ledge. You can hit kirby out of his up B if you are directly above him.

Another one off the ledge that I love using against big chars, such as ddd, rob, bowser, etc.

Again, hold to the side to push you off the ledge, torwards the oncoming enemy, and then when you are a little below and to the side, do a rising bair, almost always hitting, and allowing you to control where they go (meaning you can hit them again torwards the break line), this is great for getting rid of DDD's jumps if he doesnt expect it, furthermore, they can try and airdodge it, but i'm not sure if you can completely airdodge pikas bair, and if you get hit with ONE of the hits you get hit with the rest. UNLESS, they have great di, and you screw up. (not likely XD)

Anyways, thats All i have for now, I would like to put videos up of these types of edgeguards, but I'm not sure how, so maybe I could do it with someone online and they could post them/i'll edit this post and put the vids in? Someone get back to me on that please.

Hopefully this helps pikas with general edgeguarding, sorry if it was a bit long, and maybe redundant, D: but I tried to be thorough.

Again, if you want to talk about individual edge guarding techniques for certain characters, or a small set of characters, post it in a response please. I'll try to edit it to add it in.

Thanks, gl pika pwning! :D

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
link isnt the best in brawl -_-

anywhooo
for edge stuff.

N-air and f-air and d-aiir are my personal favorites

Top Bottom