• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu baits

Felth

Smash Apprentice
I want to learn more about baits and footsies of Pikachu. Can someone share his knowledge about this topics?
Some of the basic baits are:

• The classic Tomahawk: Can be conditioned by performing some AC Fairs and then an empty hop into a grab.
  • Some opponents try to punish the retreated Dair, it can be continued into anything.
  • If your opponent is trying to punish your aerial attacks with another attack (like Mario's Upsmash) you could jump and then use a Tjolt. Another option is to use a QA in the air and escape or attack from the back.
I don't know much about this topic but I'm aware that it's a very important part of Pikachu's game.

Last edited:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Using tjolt to bait out reflectors and absorbers is good. Tjolt, then full hop into quick attack, and go crazy from there

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Even though this is for Pikachu specifically, I do want to mention some more general things too:

This is great against projectile users. Also if you expect your opponent to try and attack (not grab) you when you get too close, you should shield and punish (in most cases) with Nair or a grab. Some opponents like to beat out your aerial approaches with their own tools, so this can help in those instances.

Thinkman made an informative thread on this technique. This technique is sub-optimal. It's important that everyone knows this. But remember that, when considering mixups, sometimes the optimal choice is not always the best choice. A SHAD to aerial is weird and that weirdness can be pretty useful once in a while. Generally, you won't use this (I think I've gotten stage spikes from up tilt more times than I successfully used this, lol), but it might be something worth considering when you want to mix it up in a really unexpected way that can throw off your opponents.

I also want to expand more on the use of Thunder Jolt:

First, I want to say something about the execution of Thunder Jolt: A lot of newer players, when performing a full hop Thunder Jolt, will jump, and then at the apex of Pikachu's jump, input the Thunder Jolt. You want to input the Thunder Jolt as soon as possible after inputting the jump. That way, the startup frames of the animation will occur as you're rising up, and the Thunder Jolt will launch closer to the time you reach the maximum height of your jump. You'll be able to react faster too since a significant part of the animation would have already occurred.

Now, from across the stage, launching a Thunder Jolt to your opponent will make them choose one of these options:
1) Shield
a) Spotdodge​
2) Jump
b) Air Dodge​
3) Attack (ie with their own projectile)

You can run with the Thunder Jolt and read/respond to their decision:
1) Grab
a) Wait and Attack or Grab​
2) Attack
b) Wait and Attack or Grab​
3) Shield, then Shield Grab

I will add more baits once I remember them.

Last edited:

Novaneith

Smash Rookie
NNID
V1talic
A10theHero A10theHero You can also try SHAD to Nair, as a kill setup after a few grabs to bait your opponent in throwing something when you approach

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah, this too.
But just to further emphasize how sub-optimal this technique is, note that Pikachu's nair has 25 frames of landing lag. If things don't go as planned, the chances of getting punished for this are pretty high. That's why you have to be pretty certain that your opponent is conditioned. If it succeeds, it can be pretty rewarding. If not, then, well, better luck next time. Using different tools may not always be rewarding in the match, but it shows that you're considering your options and deliberating your actions. And that's pretty important in itself to help you grow as a player.

Top Bottom