• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu advice

EXOgreyfox

Smash Cadet
NNID
EXOgreyfox
So I started placing better in my local region started to break into top 8, but I lack the pikachu match up experience. I have yet to beat a good pikachu. here's a vid of my last tournament, I think I was playing to safe.. imo advice is welcome

Last edited:

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
I think the statement "definitely one of the only ones I've seen out here" pretty much nails it. The way you play it pretty much just seems like matchup inexperience where you're stuck trying to chase after them and got hit with really standard stuff. They weren't even playing campy for Pikachus.

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
Game 1:
Bad spacing on a couple of arials gave him attacks. DI wasn't all that great. You played into his f smash 3 times and his up smash 2 times. This happened because you landed right into it. Pikachu's up smash is fast enough to hit anyone who lands. You should have jumped again or landed somewhere where you weren't in his range. It's hard to wait and bait Pikachu so you took an offensive at times. That was good on your part considering all the hitboxes on Puff's arials that can hit him.
Game 2:
There's no easy way to put this but it was pretty awful. In the beginning, it was pretty even. But along the way, you missed multiple edge guards when he was vulnerable. He was vulnerable when thunder hit him offstage. That cool down is the perfect time to hit him with nair or fair. Nair is the safest considering the hitboxes. You died off stage by your own fault. Neutral was played badly. You dash attacked against him when he wasn't doing anything. That's a free punish. Then you played into an f smash and up smash. Up smash ended the match. It's like you went into an autopilot panic mode during the match.

Overall your first game was the better one of the two. Part of the problem is that you frame trapped yourself by landing on the stage next to Pikachu. Pikachu isn't too hard to figure out. He's got great tools and it's not easy for him to make mistakes.
Figure out the matchup better, find ways to beat all Pikachu strategies, better your own mental play and strategy, and edge guard a little better. If you do that, I'm sure you can beat him.

Last edited:

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
So, his Pikachu is sort of aggressive, even for a Pikachu. It's understandable due to a disrespect of Jigglypuff's mobility. One thing I would like to say is stick out more soft read nairs. You'll stop Quick Attack dead in its tracks or at least trade with it. Another thing: 1:50 in the video - Dair can be useful, but never use it if the opponent is above you. Nair or Uair for opponents above you. I'll input more after work.

Top Bottom