• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantasm

NavyCherub

Smash Rookie
Playing against other Falco users, and of course watching matches on YouTube, I've noticed a pattern. Phantasm isn't used as much as I find it can be. A reflector kick to trip the opponent, followed by a well placed phantasm, can be a damaging way to change up the battle. The lag at the beginning and end isn't even a problem thanks to the free time given by a reflector pause. This also tends to throw the enemy off guard; therefore, Falco will get a boost in the crucial turning point that is the mind game of Brawl. Now, don't misunderstand me - I don't by any means encourage spamming phantasm, or even using it too often. But it does seem like an underplayed surprise that can lead to a stunned opponent and perhaps a smash or quick throw.

Now that I have presented my argument, what does the Falco community think of giving phantasm a more aggressive role in the use of everyone's favorite cobalt bird?

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
i give a special use to it. a mobility use, it will catch everyone offguard, looking at how fast and accurately i can move with phantasm, like grabing an edge from mid stage in just half a second to prevent someone to get back. to move quickly behind someone and by chance landing a hit on them with it. everyone must be creative, if you find it amazing that way, its perfect, glad to hear that there are many creative players.

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
You could do that, but not too much or you'll fall up the ledge and end up sding...

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I use it. I haven't found any spacing tricks for edge cancels yet though like you could in melee (yes, I've seen edge cancels, I think they are less effective. I'm not sure, I haven't been going out of my way to do them). I also attack with it from time to time. Sometimes I can combo it into Bair.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to implement new uses to some of the more rarely used moves such as the phantasm into my play as well. Other than sweetspotting, the main use i've found for it is in matches on flat stages against multiple opponents. If you can get to the far side, zooming through all of them can change the whole tempo of a fight and may even give you a nice set up for a F-smash.

Top Bottom