• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People don't like playing Duck Hunt twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
When I use Wario online, win or lose people come back for at least 2-3 more matches.

With Duck Hunt its' kind of one and done. Every 1 out of 10 players will want to play a second match. The ones who want to keep playing are astounded they lost to a Duck Hunt player and want to keep trying until they win (once they win they leave immediately).

What gives people!?!?! Duck Hunt's strength is spamming projectiles. Without it his tilts and smash attacks make him very ordinary. The only reason I can even hit DHD's smash attacks is because people expect me to throw another clay pigeon which sets up the boom.

I've been called "spammer", but I don't care when people do the same thing with Sonic and Samus. I enjoy the challenge of moving around spam and trying to beat it.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
They're leaving because you're a spammer, they'd do the same to a Sonic or Samus who spammed. Saying Duck Hunt's strength is spamming projectiles is a bad excuse as the same applies to Link and there are far more ways to play him. If you enjoy spam, that's fine, but don't expect other players to stay. I won't deny I've spammed before if I saw an opening for it and other methods aren't working, but I make sure that's not all I do since it's a bad habit.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I probably run and grab more than I throw projectiles.

And fwiw I spam Wario's bike too as it's one of his best weapons and I seldom have people leave.

I "spam" projectiles to get the positioning I need. I don't randomly throw gunmen out. If I do it's to force up a shield so I can grab.

Do you consider 3-4 successful consecutive trickshots to KO someone in the air over 80% as spam?

If I get knocked in the air repeatedly and when my opponent is sprinting to my landing spot and I quickly catch him with a clay pigeon right before he gets to me is that spamming?

If I throw out a can to make my opponent move away or jump in front so I can attack him up close is that spamming?

There's a fine line between spamming as your only mean of offense and bombarding your enemy with a barrage of projectiles in different spots to get an upper hand on position.

I've played spammers who never make contact just recklessly throw stuff with no thought and I've played great players who use it to their advantage. Many people did it with short hopping Falco's laser in Melee.

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
What difference does it make if I'm playing a Sheik that constantly does short hop fAir attacks to rack up damage and move me around compared to me using Duck Hunt throwing out stuff and then attacking at the right moment?

Why is constantly running and jumping at your opponent to attack seen as skill but me using DHD to protect my weaker attributes (up close fighting) by using my stronger attributes (projectiles) to win spamming?

What about Jigglypuff and Kirby users who float all day?

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I probably run and grab more than I throw projectiles.

And fwiw I spam Wario's bike too as it's one of his best weapons and I seldom have people leave.

I "spam" projectiles to get the positioning I need. I don't randomly throw gunmen out. If I do it's to force up a shield so I can grab.

Do you consider 3-4 successful consecutive trickshots to KO someone in the air over 80% as spam?

If I get knocked in the air repeatedly and when my opponent is sprinting to my landing spot and I quickly catch him with a clay pigeon right before he gets to me is that spamming?

If I throw out a can to make my opponent move away or jump in front so I can attack him up close is that spamming?

There's a fine line between spamming as your only mean of offense and bombarding your enemy with a barrage of projectiles in different spots to get an upper hand on position.

I've played spammers who never make contact just recklessly throw stuff with no thought and I've played great players who use it to their advantage. Many people did it with short hopping Falco's laser in Melee.
Your opening post didn't make it seem like you were doing all this, I got the impression you were ledge camping. If people call this spamming then they're Johns.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Your opening post didn't make it seem like you were doing all this, I got the impression you were ledge camping. If people call this spamming then they're Johns.
I play aggressive. I will tactically throw DHD projectiles until I find an opening to attack up close. But I definitely am not sitting back and throwing things ALL day.

I can't play a really good Sheik or Captain Falcon or Diddy or Fox up close because they're just too fast and in diddy's case powerful.

I have to keep rolling away and using clay pigeon to give me breathing room and start a new rally.

If I can figure out how to upload my replays you can have a better understanding of what my thought process is.

In the same way some players keep jumping everywhere waiting for someone to play cat and mouse I use projectiles to stall and in most cases give myself an opening to attack.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
They're leaving because you're a spammer, they'd do the same to a Sonic or Samus who spammed. Saying Duck Hunt's strength is spamming projectiles is a bad excuse as the same applies to Link and there are far more ways to play him. If you enjoy spam, that's fine, but don't expect other players to stay. I won't deny I've spammed before if I saw an opening for it and other methods aren't working, but I make sure that's not all I do since it's a bad habit.
There's a difference between seeing an opening and taking advantage of it and just spamming one move. No one likes either of them, but one actually works.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
Duck hunt is not a fun character to fight against. simple as that.

even if your playstyle isn't a lame game, i don't know anybody who genuinely enjoys fighting duck hunt players. most of them downright hate it actually. its not the player its the character itself. I haven't given any duck hunts a second game, win or lose because i don't get enjoyment out of the match up. its as simple as that. If i lose i lose, if i win i win, but either way i'm probably not gonna wanna play.

While i'm here, "spammers" are typically people who spam 1 or two moves with absolutely no change. people often apply it to ranged characters, but its also true for rush down characters as well. ever seen a captain falcon spam roll dash attack? Never feel bad for being called a spammer if you're actually changing up what you do and not repeatedly doing the same thing over and over with no reasoning behind it. Keep away/zoning is the proper term for playstyles that revolve around staying away from your opponent. and duck hunt is indeed that type of character. what you've described is tactical keep away. calling you a spammer is a john

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I main Ganondorf, and find Duck Hunt absolutely infuriatingly difficult. But because I'm compelled to become a better player, I actually am eager to play against competent Duck Hunt players on For Glory.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I main Ganondorf, and find Duck Hunt absolutely infuriatingly difficult. But because I'm compelled to become a better player, I actually am eager to play against competent Duck Hunt players on For Glory.
lol my eyes light up when I see I'm playing Ganondorf whether I'm using DH or Wario but even moreso DH because of more projectile options.

I also respect a good Ganondorf though because I understand he can hit a homerun against me at like 40%.

Spirst

@ W WarioWaft Already moved it myself since it really had no place here.

As for the thread, I think it's run full course already. If you'd like to continue on, try the social thread or the metagame discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom