• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pen and Sword II - The Fireplace Needs Tending (Round 2)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Max Jeremiah Quartermain led the Russian into the city, with the demon gripped firmly under his arm. Holding onto the demon’s tail, Jaha had found that he could retreat into his shell and simply slide along the ground on his stomach, pulled smoothly in tow by Quartermain’s rythmic steps - a method of travel that shielded him from Sergei’s intrusive stare. Ivanov examined the turtle thoroughly, only ceasing his interrogations after it was clear that Jaha was not going to respond to any more questions, and he could not forcibly dissect the turtle without first killing the rough Quartermain and losing their ticket to the city. As they walked in the heat, he eventually removed his fur coat and draped it over one shoulder. So the Russian returned to dwelling on the blonde boy and his cloning machine, the turtle slid along inside his shell munching on his secret stash of pepperoni packets, the demon Legna fumed as he waited for his freedom, and all three of them tried to ignore Quartermain as he spoke.

“So then I looked him dead in the eye and told him, ‘It’s game over for you,’ and I hip-tossed him into an arcade machine. One of his friends grabbed me from behind, but I stepped on his foot, turned around, grabbed him by the head and said, ‘This is a two-player fight, buddy,’ and threw him onto the ground, and put my boot on his chest. The punk I hip-tossed came back for more, but I just stared at him and said, ‘get a life,’ and he started to cry. The owner of the arcade told me to leave, so I grabbed his belt and took all the quarters from the coin-roll dispensers he had as payment for my protection. Everyone in the mall screamed and cheered for me, so before I left, I turned around and said, ‘Winners don’t use drugs.’”

“That Mario dude eats mushrooms that make him grow.”

“Yeah,” Quartermain replied without turning to Jaha, “and he’s also a plumber, so he’s not a winner, now is he?”

“He’s got a princess.”

“He fights a turtle.”

“Bowser isn’t a turtle, man,” Jaha stuck his head out of his shell. “He’s a dinosaur.”

“Can you not,” Legna interrupted, “talk, about, dinosaurs?”

“Whatever you want, demon dude.”

Sergei wiped his brow, and looked up into the sky. The sun was on the other side of the city, but he still felt too hot. Rolling up a sleeve, he checked his digital watch - 88:88:88 AM. Indestructable. Nuclear Battery. Broken.

“Piece of trash. Curse this night.”

“It’s daytime, bro.”

“Do not test me, turtle. We each arrived at the hotel before nightfall. Only a few hours have passed.”

“The sky don’t lie.”

As the group navigated through the outskirts of the city, they met the fringes of a fairly large crowd. Many bodies simply stood in the street, facing into the city, murmuring and whispering. Max approached the nearest spectator, a man wearing a ragged white T-shirt and jeans, and put his hand on his shoulder.

“What’s going on, here?”

The man turned towards Max, and simply stared at him. His eyes were void of movement.

“Hey, man, I’m talking to you. It’s impolite to ignore people when they address you.”

The T-shirt and jeans turned back to face the center of the city.

“Someone should teach this guy a lesson,” Max began as flexed his right arm and cupped his large bicep with other hand, “and I happen to be some one.”

“Wait, Max... look.”

In one movement, Jaha bounced into the air and popped his arms and legs out from his shell. He grabbed a small axe and walked towards a fat, red-headed woman in the crowd.

“She’s not moving either, and neither is he, and neither is he,” he illustrated as he pointed the tip of his axe towards different people. “They’re all... lifeless.”

Sergei gripped his umbrella by the handle.

“The noise increases as the crowd thickens. We should approach the center of the city and find the source of their stasis,” the Russian suggested.

Quartermain pointed a finger toward the Russian and exclaimed, “now that’s an idea.”

The group made their way to the center of the city, gradually needing to push and shove to continue. The demon Legna shrank lower as they continued into the crowded mass. He moved slowly, his eyes darting from person to person, and when he noticed that he had lost track of the other three, he quickly turned heel and ran down an alley. Breathing heavily, he jumped onto the dark brick wall of the alleyway, and clawed his way to the roof. Once there, he stopped, sat on the edge of the roof, and took a slow breath.

A sudden noise shook Legna from his relaxation. He turned violently toward the noise, and noticed the belfry of the church before he recognized the gong of the bell. A second ring of the bell. Legna recognized the church from two hours’ past, and turned his head to find the museum he had previously explored with Sergei. The demon thought of Dr. Ulysses Day, and the bell rang a third, and final, time. Legna spread his wings and jumped from the roof.

Suddenly, the constant murmurs ceased. Jaha climbed up Quartermain’s back and stood on his shoulders to get a better view of what was ahead.

“There’s a stage, and a banner, but it’s covered. Hey, a blue guy is climbing on stage, with a megaphone.”

“...that time of the year again! Come one, come all, com-pete, in the tenth annual Old-fashioned Submarine Sandwich Eating Competition, sponsored by your very own Keller Carnival! A lot of three-man teams enter, only one three-man team remains victorious! For a nominal entry fee of-”

“Dude! Max,” Jaha pleaded. “We have to enter.”

“I don’t think we have to.”

“But we have three people, right here!”

The three stood for a moment.

“Where’s your friend, in the inappropriate red suit?”

Sergei grinned, and shrugged.

“No, man, we gotta enter. Subs are the best. And I bet there’s a prize.”

“There’s never a great prize at these things. They’re a rip-off.”

The man in the blue suit continued to shout, enticing the gathering crowd.

“Great prizes! Not a rip-off!”

“Hey Sir-gay, you gotta be our anchor.”

Jaha turned around to convince the Russian, but found an old hobo in his place.

“What is with those two? Whatever. We don’t even need him. Max, now you have to enter. The two of us can win, even a man down.”

“Of course we would win, but we have better things to do.”

The banner above the stage was revealed with a loud rustling. The man in the baby blue suit stared straight through the crowd at Max as he read the banner aloud,

“Are You MAN Enough?!”

Passion and pride blazed behind the dark sunglasses of Max Jeremiah Quartermain. Clenching a huge fist, he cracked his knuckles.

“Where do I sign up?”

Ulysses stepped out of the church and into a muggy, dark afternoon. The church was set on a precipitous hillside - a stone-stepped walkway led from the entrance at the top, winding down through thick green brush to a cobblestone clearing at the bottom. The grand scale of the church shielded the old man from even a murmur from the crowd on the other side of town. At the top of the stairs, Ulysses opened his pocket-watch to find the hands again illegible, slowly spinning in alternate directions. Now accustomed to the strange sight, but not having expected it, Ulysses closed the watch. As if purposefully satisfying his inquiry, the church bell began to ring. Ulysses simply kept his eyes at his feet, navigating the steep hill’s narrow stone steps one at a time, listening to the reverberations. Three gongs of the bell, and silence. If he arrived early, he would simply wait for Bruce.

The demon Legna watched from the sky, wings beating infrequently though powerfully, as he glided in circles overhead, watching his prey. What intuition had led to this fortunate circumstance. He would attack now, if not for the enclosed path the doctor followed; instead, with a slow twist of his wrist, he peered into Ulysses’ mind one last time - with absolutely fascinating results. Ulysses would not make his rendez-vous. The demon folded his thick leathery wings, diving through the air towards the cobbletstone street, and at the last second, upturned, spreading his wings and stopping inches from the ground.

After a few minutes’ trek, Ulysses arrived at the end of the path and saw the cobblestone clearing. Gathering his bearings, he looked to a street-sign - a single pole with three different destinations: Pier Harbor, Keller Carnival, and Hülle Granz Cathedral. Ulysses looked towards the carnival and wondered what could have happened to Bruce there, before remembering Ayoko. Looking back towards the church, he moved his umbrella from his right hand to his left, so that with his right, he could make the sign of the cross.

“Ritual can’t save you now, Doctor,” Legna spoke slowly.

Ulysses quickly turned to see the demon leaning against the street-sign. The creature’s wings were folded behind his back, and his gaunt, ribbed body no longer showed any sign of his previous injuries. He stood with an upturned open claw, examining his own nails, before meeting Ulysses’ gaze. From fifteen meters away, Legna’s jaundiced eyes looked completely coated yellow, but when the demon blinked, Ulysses saw his black, slit-like irides. The demon grinned, and at the sight of Legna’s wicked fangs, Ulysses gripped his umbrella tightly and began to re-evaluate his position, re-examining his surroundings for an advantage, without losing at least peripheral eye-contact with Legna.

“Where do you think you will go, old man?”

“All roads lead away from you,” Ulysses quipped.

“No, no, Ulysses. Humans... always thinking in the now, in the finite. Even in old age, even you.”

Ulysses stopped and turned towards the demon. Legna now held his long tail in his hands, slowly running a boney finger along its sharp, bladed edge.

“Where will I go?” Ulysses called back, somewhat loudly.

“Yes,” Legna hissed. With a kick of his foot, the demon Legna pushed off of the signpost and began to walk towards the old man. “Nearing sixty-nine years of age, you are, Ulysses. And you will die soon. Sooner than you want. Sooner than you expect. And where will you go, when you die?” The demon weaved slightly in his his steps as he spoke, upturning a clawed hand with each question: “In a box? In the dirt?”

“Death is not something that I fear, Legna,” the man stood firm. The demon did not halt his slow approach.

“Oh, but it is,” he hissed. “You may have accepted that you will die, but you do fear death. Because you don’t think you are done. And because,” the demon stopped, and raised a crooked eye, “you don’t know what awaits you.”

“I know what awaits me,” Ulysses repeated. “What awaits all the faithful when they die. You don’t scare me, Legna.”

“No?”

“If anything,” he argued, “your presence here, your existence, only affirms my belief.”

“Hah. What empty affirmation. Congratulations, Ulysses. Your faith... is sound,” Legna replied, praising him in mockery. “But you were raised that way. You were raised with religion, you were born into a religious family; even an inquisitive specimen such as you could believe in a God if he was raised that way from the very beginning. But what if you weren’t born into that family, Ulysses?”

“That’s something you can’t take from me. My family, or my belief.”

“No, what if?” Legna continued, seemingly ignoring the man’s response. “What if, say, you married into that religious family, without those beliefs? They would seem absurd! There’s no need for a creator, when everything can be explained by science. So why believe in one? It seems... ‘irrelevant.’”

The demon’s choice of words stunned Ulysses.

“Everything can be explained by science,” he heard his fiancée argue. “Creation doesn’t need to start at human life, just as it doesn’t revolve around the Earth. There is so much that is not explained by the Bible, that it's hard to accept Christianity as a truthful explanation to the world. You must understand,” Legna continued to recall, word for word, “if I am hesitant to raise our children that way.”

“Stop it!” Ulysses shouted.

“You don’t know what awaits you,” Legna approached, threatening. “But I have been to Hell. And I can tell you, dear Margaret doesn’t wait for you above.”

Ulysses roared, rasied his umbrella, and struck at Legna. The demon caught the umbrella with one hand, ripped it from the man’s hands, and viciously slapped Ulysses in the face with the back of his clawed hand. As Ulysses stumbled backward, Legna thrust the umbrella forward, throwing it into the man’s face, knocking him to the ground.

“You will never see her again,” Legna continued. “Margaret is dead - in a box, in the dirt. And you know it. You know she lied to you. She didn’t accept Christ. On her death throes? Please. She extended you a great kindness, convincing you she believed, but that is all she could do. Lie.”

On the ground, Ulysses rose to his hands and knees. He reached for his umbrella, and as he did, Legna took a step forward. With a slight skip, the demon swiftly brought his foot to the man’s stomach, kicking him over.

Ulysses rolled over onto his back, clutching his abdomen. He looked up at the demon through uneven spectacles.

“I don’t believe you,” he labored.

“Yes, you do. And that’s why it hurts. That’s why it took you so very long to get over her death. Disbelief, at first, led you all around the world. Like your childhood. Traveling around - Egypt, Asia, America - just like you did as a boy. Trying to forget her, trying to go back to your life far before her.”

“I didn-”

“Yes, you did!” Legna interrupted, kicking Ulysses over again. The demon leaned down, now, and stared the old man in the eye. “You tried to forget all about her. That is why you traveled. That is why, when Roger invited you to his wedding, you refused to attend! You missed the most important day in your son’s life - his marriage, the most sacrosanct ceremony - because you couldn’t bear remember yours.”

With obscene pleasure, the demon Legna piled Ulysses’ greatest fears and regrets, one on another, atop his broken body. The weight of the demon’s words held him to the ground. As Legna continued, Ulysses closed his eyes, but could still see the demon before him - the gaunt body, visible bones, dark red, leathery skin, sharp fangs, wicked wings, yellow eyes. He could not escape.

“Despicable. Almost pitiful.”

With a quick strike, Legna pierced the old man’s arm with his tail. The man screamed, and the demon stabbed again. As Ulysses squirmed, the tail shot through his chest. Legna twisted his tail sideways and pulled it out.

Legna continued, and Ulysses struggled to fight back, both against the demon and against his worst fears. He could not raise his voice against the demon, because he could no longer convince himself the demon was wrong. He began to cry. He rolled over.

Legna slashed at the old man’s back, again, and again. Ulysses screamed into the ground. Legna pushed him onto his back with a foot.

“Look at me,” the demon Legna demanded. Ulysses closed his eyes tightly and turned his head away from the demon, refusing the command. Legna leaned over in front of Ulysses, and the man abruptly turned his head the other direction.

“LOOK AT ME,” the demon shouted, grabbing the old man by the jacket and pulling his upper body off of the ground. Ulysses opened crying eyes to see Legna’s malicious, pointed grin. “Do you know what is truly sad? You would have been happy, Ulysses. You missed the wedding for nothing - you would have been happy, and instead, you prolonged your grief. You did it to yourself.”

Legna gripped Ulysses under the old man’s arms and extended his full wingspan. With a heave, the demon jumped into the air and thrust himself into the sky. With each beat of his leathery wings, Legna brought Ulysses higher and higher into the air.

“You are going to die here, Ulysses,” Legna spoke as he began to fly above the stone path, towards the church. “And you do fear death, because Margaret will not be there, and because you will not be here for Molly. Your death will crush her. You are leaving her, and she won't get over it. How will she fair without you? Her curiosity will be shadowed by depression. She will be overwhelmed with anxiety, with lonliness, with fear of betrayal.”

From above the church, Legna held Ulysses almost at an arm’s length. Pulsing up and down in the air with each beat of Legna’s leathery wings, they threatened to fall out of the sky at any moment. Ulysses looked down at the entrance to the church below, and then back at the demon.

“No... please...”

Legna brought Ulysses in close, one last time, and whispered.

“She will die without you.”

Legna let go, and without the extra weight, shot up into the air with the next fierce beat of his wings. He watched Ulysses fall towards the ground, and he laughed. On impact, the man let out a terrible scream of excruciating pain. The demon watched from above as Ulysses continued to cry out in pain. Satisfied with the lethal blow, the demon Legna turned and flew towards the pier.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Max and Jaha pushed through the sea of people, desperate to reach the front of the line. A contest like this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Jaha. He wanted to – no – needed to enter, if it was the last thing he did. If there was anything on this earth that he could possibly be the best at, it was eating copious amounts of food. Jaha could eat faster than anyone he’d ever met. He could keep eating far beyond the limits of any other mortal being. And most of all, he could and would eat ANYTHING; no matter how remotely it fit the description of food. Whatever they threw at him, Jaha knew he could stomach it.

Or so he thought.

Kicking aside the last of the crowd, the pair marched right up to the sign up desk. Jaha dramatically slammed both of his hands on the table, causing the man sitting behind the desk to jump suddenly, spilling the cup of coffee in his hands all over the floor. “We’re here to enter – no – WIN, your eating contest. The man looked Jaha and Max up and down with a look of shock in his eyes. It wasn’t every day that you received demands from a talking turtle.

Jaha surveyed the man. He looked to be in his late forties, wore a cheap grey suit with an ill matched orange tie and clearly didn’t share the same enthusiasm for food as he did. Jaha noticed that the ugly suit hung quite loosely around his stomach. The old saying, ‘never trust a skinny chef’ thought Jaha. This man was far too thin to be associated with the ultimate test of consumption.

“I’m sorry, but registration closed a minute ago. You’re too late.” Sensing what was about to happen, Jaha stepped aside, allowing Max to do the talking.

Grabbing the man by his collar, Max pulled him from behind the desk, looked him square in the eye and said, “You will be sorry.” The man was short by comparison, and Jaha noticed how helplessly his feet dangled above the ground. He could sense the fear in his eyes. Jaha didn’t blame him though; he was staring death right in the face. That is, if he didn’t choose his next words carefully.

“B-b-b-b-but! Y-you d-d-don’t have a third person, you c-c-can’t possibly compete!”

To this, Max threw his head back and laughed like a maniac. “Of course we have a third member.” He raised his spare clenched fist at the man, making sure he could clearly see what he was doing. Once the man started to vigorously shake his head in objection, Max looked at his own fist and casually said, “I’d like you to come meet my friend Pete. Com-pete. Geddit?”

“W-w-w-we simply d-d-don’t have en-n-n-ough food for you to eat!!! I-I-I-”

“Eat THIS!” To which, Max hip tossed the man through his own desk, collecting and colliding into six other people with him. The man showed no signs of opposing them any longer. Pleased with how the encounter had gone, Max and Jaha continued towards the stage. They no longer had to push through the dense crowd; it simply parted as they progressed. Much more efficient.

“Get ready ladies and gentlemen, the contest will be beginning shortly!” Max and Jaha’s timing couldn’t of been more precise. They simply waltzed right up onto the stage with the other contestants. Jaha noticed the contest had attracted all sorts of contestants, large ones, skinny ones, tall ones – it was quite a group. One particularly large fellow – Italian Jaha thought – seemed to recognise him.

“Ay, it’s the funny guy and his pet turtle, how good of you to come.” Max recognised the man from earlier that day.

“I remember you. You’re the incompetent Chef who wouldn’t even make a decent pizza.”

“Very good, you destroy-a-my-restaurant! And now I-a-pay you back by winning this contest! First prize, a big cheque! It will be mine!” Max began to move forward, but Jaha stopped him in his tracks. Max turned around and saw the fire burning in Jaha’s eyes, and instantly he knew. They would win this contest – not with fists or water cannons – but with their stomachs and digestive systems.

Continuing up the stairs, Jaha was now close enough to get a good look at where the contest would take place. The stage was set up with a long table stretching across its front, with around twenty chairs facing towards the crowd. It was decorated with an immaculate black tablecloth, decorated with gold and silver lining. Expensive looking plates and cutlery were set up neatly at each chair. It was a royal setting, quite fitting for Jaha’s victory. The two of them sat as close to centre stage as possible.

“This is going to be a-mazing!” squealed Jaha, unable to hide the sheer delight in his high pitched voice.”

“You know Jaha, all these people here, and you STILL won’t take off that costume.”

“I’ve told you it’s NOT a cos-” Jaha’s words hung in mid sentence. He was unable to finish them, for at that very moment, the tallest, most delicious plate of sandwiches had been placed right in front of him. It was something out of his dreams. The mouth-watering aroma of the food was too much. Jaha stared in awe, and literally started to froth at the mouth. It took every inch of self-control to stop him from forcing these bad boys down his gob this very instant. It was only the fact that his desire to win out weighed his desire to consume.

Jaha barely heard the announcer call out the rules of the contest. “-all contestants must eat as many sandwiches as possible in the allotted two minutes. He or she who regurgitates is instantly disqualified. Leaving your seat is also strictly prohibited and will result in a loss.”

Fortunately Jaha’s abstinence was short lived. Moments later a siren sounded, indicating the commencement of the competition. Jaha wasted no time with cutlery or even chewing. It was just a biting and swallowing action that saw him demolish the subs one after another. Around thirty seconds later, the announcer gave an update to the crowd. “Ladies and gentlemen, as surprising as it sounds, currently in the lead is the only two man team in the competition!” Jaha didn’t think it could have been going any better. He’d eaten three times as much as any of the other contestants, and Max was holding his own – especially for a man who didn’t seem too concerned about eating.

But then, reaching for his sixteenth sub, Jaha’s hands clasped something totally unexpected. It was much harder then the soft sandwich rolls he’d been eating. So instinctive were his reflexes that he brought it right up to his mouth, before looking and realising what he grasped in his hands.

It was a shell. The shell of a baby turtle.

Jaha instantly fell back off his chair. He felt like he was about to be sick. Someone had planted this shell on his plate. But Jaha was yet to feel any anger or the need for revenge. The churning of his stomach made sure of that.

Sensing his troubled companion on the floor, Max Quatermain did the only thing he could think to do that instant. He rose from his chair and with incredible strength lifted the table high above his head, before sending it crashing down behind him at the stage. Timber, metal and sandwich were sent on a collision course for the backstage. Contestants were uprooted in their chairs. Sheer and utter chaos erupted around the stage.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
It has been 2 weeks again, and Evil Eye, Clownbot, Macman, McFox, and tmw_redcell haven't written. When is the deadline for the next elimination?

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Max grabbed his queasy companion and bolted through the crowd in the confusion. He ducked low, plowing through the scrambling mass of people, hiding himself and Jaha but he couldn’t hide their destructive wake. Jaha gagged and vomited as Max carried him down an alley a few blocks away and set him down.

“What happened?” Max asked.

“There was… a baby turtle shell in one of my sandwiches. Gyack.” Tears were streaming down his face, his eyes were red, and he was breathing heavily.

“Someone should have been more careful, leaving the shell in a turtle sub like that.”

“A…” Jaha struggled to catch his breath. “What?”

“A turtle sub.”

“A turtle—“ Jaha vomited and Max stepped clear. “You mean the meat in those sandwiches was turtle meat?” He coughed and sputtered.

“Well, not exactly. What do you call a bay turtle?” Jaha spasmed inside his shell, flailing his flippers against the asphalt.

“How… how could someone do that?”

“Do what?”

“Kill an innocent little baby just to make a sandwich… They were turtles.”

“That’s how food works. People kill animals for food all the time, even babies or the very young. All food is something that died so that we may live. You were eating veal at that grocery store deli before, and that’s tortured baby cow.”

“WHAT!?”

“I kinda thought you knew.”

“No! I don’t really know much about the surface world. It’s disgusting, what they did over there. All those innocent turtles, probably had their eggs plucked off a beach somewhere. They had a one in
seventy chance of surviving, **** it! No one has the right to take that away from them for some gluttonous contest! I can understand another animal eating them to live, but that just isn’t right!”

“You seemed fine with it when you thought it was some other animal.” Max was trimming his nails with his scissors.

“That’s different! It was… it was…”

“Honestly, you didn’t strike me as the type to speak out against gluttony. What with you eating all the time. Enormous amounts of food, more than anyone I’ve ever seen.”

“But I don’t KILL anything if I don’t have to.”

“So? Let me tell you about supply and demand. Restaurants and stores stock products because people buy them. Grocery stores stock veal not because they and farmers like killing baby cows, but because people buy it. If a person like you comes into a restaurant and buys some meat, sure, they don’t kill the animal right then and there, but some other animal is going to die to replace it in their stock. And if a person like you comes along, I’m guessing that’s a whole lot more animals dying. It’s all very nebulous, but that’s one of the wonders of society. You can get the results without having to see the process.”

Jaha had retreated into his shell.

“But I only eat enough to keep myself from going hungry. It’s not my fault of I have a high metabolism I only eat what I need to, I don’t kill anything needlessly. Right?” He said, his voice small.

“Over-eating is a virtue, not a sin, kid. It’s the American way. Produce and consume. It is one of the products of our wealth, and it perpetuates it.”

“But… I don’t…” Jaha’s head and limbs slowly protruded from his shell, and he stood up shakily, fresh tears welling in his eyes.

“Sorry Max, but I’d like to be alone for a while. I’ve got a lot to think about.”

“And I’ve got a food safety inspector to have a chat with.” Jaha watched as Max cracked his knuckles and stretched, then walked out of the alley back toward the ruined eating contest, whispering sweet nothings to Pete and Left Pete.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
It's a kid.

Of course it's a kid.

"Hey."

People are dying across every horizon, crackled streets and decimated storefronts the grand stage for a dressing of pulverized bones and exposed entrails. A streetlight is knocked over to my right, flickering intermittently, casting a cold light over my people in rapid jitters before shunning them to the darkness of the billowing storm clouds. No rain is falling, though I suppose it could spitting sheets straight into my eyes and I'd be damned if I'd notice. I am an island, and crushed tracheas and lonely skull fragments at a loss for contents are the vegetation and soil greeting the waves that roll inward. Everywhere, defining.

The lucky ones.

"Hey, look at me."

Not this girl. She's very much alive, and very much in pain. I'm knotting up inside; the crimson puddle she nestles in doesn't bother me, and neither does the fact that the facet resides on her. I hate the brave face she has on. She should be crying, and her parents should be beside her. A lack of either has always been a persistently bad omen. Just the same, I'm almost relieved by the coarse abruptness with which her leg ends at midthigh -- doors aren't being doors, but at least wounds are being wounds. And this doctor is still a doctor.

For now.

Her airway is open. I didn't have time to check, but her quick gasp as I lifted her up onto the collapsed seagreen awning beside her gave me that much. Her lashes flutter, and I can see her eyes. She looks confused, maybe even a bit afraid, but god damn it she's alert. I'll settle.

She starts to lift her hand, and I've got it before she has time to reach for me.

"I'm Chris Walker. I'm a doctor." I heave a piece of wall over and slip it under her makeshift cot, slipping it beneath her severed stump and elevating her legs. "Just Chris is fine. And you're going to be fine, okay?"

The girl manages a nod before I can force out a reassuring smile. Christ, she can't be older than ten.

I go at it with a magician’s poise, forcing open my bag with one hand and jerking to remove my jacket with the other. Synthetic fabrics probably make for a rotten pillow, but she seems grateful enough to rest her weary cheek on something other than gnarled concrete.

Isn't that wonderful?

Little blessings can take shape in some pretty grotesque places, but I'm too absorbed by the girl's state to dislike my thought process. The cause of severance pinched most of the blood vessels, and I don't give care if it's morbid to be glad for it. Once I finish with these bandages I can stop ignoring the throbbing blasts of agony ricocheting off my head. Come on, everybody. Embrace that pain, hold onto it and stay alive. The doctor is in.

Death's door is opening everywhere around me, and just this once, I don't want a door to be a fucking door.

Dr. Walters knocked the conference doors aside and ploughed into the room. A cacophonous clatter shook the room as the wooden gates slammed to either side of him. Walters allowed himself a single huff of exasperation as he drew a handkerchief to mop his soaked forehead.

In this moment, I felt spikes beneath my feet, my skin shifting, restless. All but one doctor pulled from the ER for a meeting? Tension hung in the air, and curdled deeper in my ears each time Walters swept across his brow. The moment held fast, because that was the one time I’d be off my guard. Helpless.

“Alright. I know you all have patients to get to, so I’ll make this as brief as I can.” Walters folded his silken veil and tucked it into his breast pocket. “The F derailed in Brooklyn.”

Gasps. Those little flickers of emotion, meant to show that they can still be surprised.

“I’ll be completely blunt,” Walters nodded, putting his hands on his hips. “It’s bad. Several other vehicles were swept up in the crash, and the old train just wasn’t built for this kind of strain. I’m calling in everyone I can, but for at least an hour, it’s just going to be us.”

I had the clearest image in my head. An army of ambulances invading, pushing through our lines, each toting a man, woman, or child in the direst of straits. Agony sizzling through them, keeping them awake. Maybe a loved one at their sides.

Hold onto the pain, I thought. Hold onto it and let it bring you to me, the unlikely messenger of virtue, the unsung hero of every story.

“When will the first patients be arriving?” I was already running through routine procedures in my head.

“Should be just a few minutes from our doors.”

I scoffed, heading straight for the exit. “Then what the hell are we standing around for?”

“Chris…” Walters caught my shoulder as I reached the hallway.

Pulling out of his arm right away, I paced over to the elevator and summoned it. “What?”

“Like I said, this is going to be a bad one.” Walters grimaced. “Even at the best estimates… there’re going to be a lot of casualties.”

I slipped through the elevator doors before they’d finished opening and mashed the “close” button. “What’s your point, Bill?”

“You can’t put it on yourself, Chris. You can’t save everyone. Sometimes… sometimes, it’s a person’s turn to go.”

“You’re wasting both our time,” I muttered, glancing at the LED display above.

Ding!

“You know I’m going to try.”

The doors greeted one another before he could retort.

The ride was the worst. Every second, I could imagine victims and medics wheeling through the doors, throngs of the injured and harmed. Every second I waited for the LED to switch to the next floor down, I thought of two more people without a doctor at their side. Five. Ten. Twenty, fifty, and so on.

Failure never frightened me, because I’ve never considered it an option. It happens or it doesn’t, but I never plan around it. Waiting, that’s when it kills me. Anticipation. The idea of someone suffering, dying, and myself not even being in a position to attempt their rescue – that’s when I feel impotent. Helpless. And I felt it then, waiting for the damn LED to hit the main floor, staring at the chrome seam and trying to open it faster with my mind.

The storm before the calm.

Ding!

It hasn’t occurred to me yet to ask what happened here. Now that it has, of course, I’m still not going to. The answer is obvious enough; some kind of destructive tragedy. Maybe a bit of Woland’s nonsense, maybe something else. The people here, at my feet, their comfort and safety is the priority. Everything else is white noise.

Itachi hasn’t said a word this entire time. He simply observes, nibbling on a kebab at his whim and towering over me while I work. Despite the uneasiness I would normally feel with my unstable companion, I feel calm, being here in the saddle. I can do something. I can save these people.

You can enjoy their misery.

Christ, am I ever awake. I feel like I’ve been sleeping for decades, and yet I must be closing in on a night without sleep. I can trace the path of every breath I take. Through my nose and mouth, coagulating at my trachea. Lingering down the trachea and into the lungs, and right back out. It’s hypnotic, intoxicating – and so is the fiery pain twenty feet ahead.

I snap out of it and start sprinting toward my patient, glancing at dressings and checking for people in shock along the way. When I reach him, I see... a large concrete slab. It’s only when I see a protruding shoelace that I start to worry.

“Itachi!” I crouch down and slip my forearms under the slap, bracing and stretching my back to prepare for the strain. “Help me lift this. Now!”

The enormous chef is looking at his watch, cocking an eyebrow. And I hate him. The way he stalls, prolongs the time that this wall separates me from this pour soul on the other side. I can’t even tell if he heard me or not. Why? Why aid the icy hands of death that already try to sweep this entire city block into their grasp?

Itachi!”

He looks up to me, clicking his tongue. Another pause. Another second I don’t have. And finally, and answer – he shakes his head.

I shake my head, wrath and incredulity coloring me in equal shades. Itachi smirks as I position myself to lift the heap on my own, then turns on his heel and walks away. The son of a bitch.

You want him to feel pain.

I wouldn’t mind finding him mangled under the wall, now, but there’s no time for grudges. I tighten my back, wedge the balls of my feet into deep crevices of mangled rubble. Push my arms in line with my shoulder. Should I be able to lift it? Of course not. But a man is dying on the other side of this stone, and I’ve never been a big fan of the word “impossible”.

Of course, I certainly didn’t expect to throw the wall right off of him and send it in a flipping arc to another area of the pile. I don’t like the word impossible, but some things definitely shouldn’t be easy.

You enjoy this feeling. You’re feeding on this situation. On the suffering around you.

I drop to my knees, shivering, and rip open my bag. Before I even see the shrapnel driven through the side of his abdomen, I know his appendix needs to come out. I know he’s going to die in a few minutes if I don’t. I know his blood is pooling furiously around the insides of the wound.

Before he even confirms that, yes, he feels a thumping pain in this stomach, I know he’s going to say it.

Why do I know this?

Stay on it, Chris. No time for that.

I finish prepping a syringe full of strong antibiotics and set it down next to the morphine I prepared while deciphering his status. Just as I swab at the crook of his elbow, I feel the vice clamping down on my shoulder, feel Itachi’s claws digging deep into my collar bone.

“This man has a poor chance of surviving. This medicine could prove very important in the future, Doctor. You are being wasteful.”

“Take your hand off of me.”

Itachi tightened his grip. “I’ve let you indulge yourself long enough. Do not forget that the Professor has promised death for all but one of us; I cannot afford to allow further expense of resources in this cavalier fashion. Stand up, Doctor, and stop wasting our time.”

“I said take your hand off me!” I turn and shove a palm hard into his massive torso. Itachi loses his grip, stumbling backward and sliding hard on his ass. Serves him right, or so I’d think, but I’ve already turned back to my patient.

I smile, easing the antibiotic syringe into his vein. “You’re doing great. If anything hurts, you just let me know, okay?”

“It seems you’re determined to make yourself useless,” Itachi grunts behind me.

Fuck off.” I pat my patient’s hand, gently. “I’m going to administer an anaesthetic now, alright? You’re going to feel a bit loopy, but you’re going to be fine. I can save you.”

It’s not your turn.

I milled through the emergency room. I kept my bag on me, not wanting to waste any time waiting on tools of the trade. This situation directly called upon the best advice I’d ever been given for general practice – don’t be overwhelmed. Just scrub up, and dive in.

And so I did.

Something caught my eye, and I swooped over to a young woman’s soaked bandage. I touched at it carefully, and a minute squirt of blood seeped through and onto my fingers. I studied her pale expression, grimacing.

I opened up my bag. “This was bleeding five minutes ago. Who dressed this?”

“Umm…” The nurse turned to me, glancing at the patient. “Dr. Mathers.”

“Figures it was Mathers. I need to go in. Now.” I washed my hands at the side, slipping on a new pair of gloves in the blink of an eye, and retrieved my scalpel. “Did he give her a local, or a general?”

“General.”

“Alright,” I grumbled, disinfecting the scalpel. “At least Mathers did something right.”

A quick and careful incision leads me to a clotted mess, but deeper within I could see a pulsating pool replenishing itself, and a careful brush revealed a torn artery. Mathers was everything I hated about modern medicine, from impractical laziness to weathered and dispassionate bedside manner. That didn’t matter, though. What mattered was that my haemostat had stopped the flow, and after a few minutes and a careful massage, I was able to remove it. Good as new.

“When I finish this, Nicole, I need you to sterilize it and redress it for me.” I paused, checking to make sure my suturing was even. “Don’t let Mathers near her.”

I couldn’t stick around to do it myself. Dr. Walters had caught my eye, standing over a limp patient. Not writhing, like they should have been. And Dr. Walters was just standing there, hand on the shoulder of another doctor. Consoling. I ripped off my gloves and tossed them on the ground.

They were cutting their losses. I wasn’t going to let them.

“Hey!”

I pushed through the curtain and passed them, scooping up the patient’s chart for a quick scan and then dropping it. I drank in the flatline ahead of me without wasting my time looking at it, instead checking the patient’s airway and giving him a blast of precious oxygen when I found it. I folded one hand over the other and lowered them onto the patient’s chest.

“Chris!” Walters barked. “Stop that!”

“If you two don’t want to do your job, that’s fine with me, but you sure as hell better let me do mine!”

I started to push.

“He’s dead, Chris! His ribcage is ruined, and his liver is pierced. Think of what you’re doing!”

“I’ll be gentle.” And that was fifteen. I shuffled over and gave him two more breaths. “And that’s why you’re going to prep me an OR and work on finding me a liver.”

Three, four, five.

“Chris, if you need to step out a for a while…”

Four, five.

“Bill,” I growled, starting into another set. “Just shut up. And prep me a room.”

Four, five.

He gasped. I didn’t; as his hand fumbled for mine, I took it, and held it close.

“My name’s Chris, and you’re going to be just fine, sir. It’s not your turn to go.” I glared at Walters. “OR. Now!”

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Legna's throat crunched beneath the heel of Woland's foot.

"Why... eghare you... ugh"

Woland leaned forward onto his right leg and felt the pop of Legna's trachea reverberate through his body. The demon's blood spattered onto the carpet where it had several times before. Woland stepped away from Legna for a second and walked over to the polished oak nightstand beside his bed.

"Because you, my foulest Legna, tried to turn the old man."

Legna, temporarily free from Woland's heel, crawled along the floor to the far side of the room and pushed himself as hard as he could to the edge of the room. There were no doors or windows on that wall or any other and Legna cowered in the crease between the wall and floor.

"I did that because-"

"Silence."

The demon drew his mouth shut. Woland opened up the nightstand drawer and pulled out a handkerchief black to the point it defied all depth and form and cleaned the blood from his shoes. When he was done, he tucked the handkerchief into his pocket and turned to face Legna again.

"I... apologize for any misgivings" Legna said. "I might ha... I did make a mistake."

As the demon talked, his courage rallied behind him. Slowly, he crawled back first up the wall till he was at eye level with Woland, though he dare not look him in the eye.

"I know you are a forgiving man and-"

The sound of a door opening beside Legna stopped the demon mid sentence. From the door that formerly was not trudged in Behemoth, fur muddy and wet. The giant cat took no notice of Legna and gingerly walked directly towards Woland.

"Messire..." Behemoth said, giving a great sigh as he did. "I, your most beloved and loyal servant, has done thy deed thou wished done. I left them outside because I did not want to dirty the carp-" Behemoth's eyes wandered to the blood stained archipelago in the center of the carpet. The cat gave another sigh and jumped backwards onto the edge of the bed and pulled out his bottle of vodka.

As the cat took to his drink, Legna shuffled to the doorway and peered through it with the corner of his eyes. His heart fluttered with nervousness. The demon turned his attention back to the room he was in to find Behemoth standing nose to nose with him. Though he couldn't see it, he was sure the cat's revolver was in his paw. Legna looked past Behemoth to Woland.

"I'm sorry, Woland! I'll do-"

Behemoth smiled and drew his revolver to Legna's chest and fired. The center of Legna's chest peeled onto the wall behind him as the demon fell to the ground a cascade of scales and flesh. Behemoth magically holstered his revolver at his side and dragged the demon's body to the fireplace. With a great heave, Behemoth tossed the him into the fireplace and swiped his paws together.

"Do the same with the others," Woland said.

"Yes, Messire. Whatever you say, Messire! " Behemoth said, his exhaustion obviously showing through in his tone. "Odd as it may sound, I found them all this way."

The black cat walked out of the doorway and, one by one, dragged in several bodies and a stuffed tiger.

Calvin, Max Payne, and Saru have been eliminated. If you wish to write their deaths, please reserve them with me.

Top Bottom