• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach's Play Style and Weaknesses

Vizelvius

Smash Rookie
So, I've been an avid fan of Smash Bros since the very beginning. I've never really been able to compete competitively though, because I have no idea where any tourneys or meet ups occur (Melbourne, Australia), but that's not really the issue.

Since Melee, I've had constant problems against Peach. Now that I'm able to play online without massive amounts of lag (for the most part), I've been encountering a lot more Peaches that I cannot deal with. I can't read her pattern of attack. I can't tell what she'll do next, or how I can prevent it. Even playing defensively, I find myself having a lot of trouble. I've tried maining her to improve my skills and find out what I can do against her, but it's just not a play style I enjoy and can "feel right" with, so it's difficult for me to adapt.

I know you may not be willing to give up the info, but... what can I do against Peach? What are her weaknesses? What does Peach excel at? What can she not do very well? Does she do better on the ground or in the air? How can I exploit any weaknesses she might present? These are what I want to know. If I know more, I can (hopefully) formulate a counter or riposte for her.

For extra info, I typically play ROB, Ike, DK and Yoshi. I'm looking for Peach's general weaknesses, but if you have something specific that relates to these characters, that's cool too.

Last edited:

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
Are there specific moves you get hit with a lot?

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
one thing is keep her in the air she does have difficulty getting down. Fair is punishable on shield when not auto cancelled.

Vizelvius

Smash Rookie
Not specifically one attack. People that spam a single attack are generally easy to figure out. It's more just the way people use Peach. The way she moves, her floating, the different things people do using Peach. It may be an inexperience issue, or an issue of not entirely knowing Peach's potential. Knowing what Peach can and can't do, or what leaves her open would help immensely. Not to mention, what I myself can do to pressure Peach or make openings without being punished so easily.

HeeroOfTheSkys

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeeroOfTheSkys
Capitalize on the moments she doesnt have a turnip in hand, im not sayin go in like crazy but a Peach without a turnip is a lot easier 2 approach than a Peach with one.

Floating if u see it early enough can be punished quite easily. Peach's aerials are relatively slow so if u see her beginning 2 float meet her in the air with a fast aerial, DK bair is a gd choice depending on how high she is floating.

Knowing the character will help a lot so if u want 2 learn more i would suggest u check out the video thread for some tutorials and also play a few people on the Peach boards, ur sure 2 learn some gd stuff

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
Peach looks like she's technical, but in actuality, she's one of the most straightforward and easy-to-play characters in Smash 4.

She floats. That's her only difference from the other floaties. When she can't float, she's weaker than the other floaties. Exploit dis c:

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Peach has so many mix-up options. Arguably she has the best neutral game in sm4sh. Peach's that master QFR (quick float release) are extremely hard to read and predict. The best way is to play into the neutral game, look out for patterns the player uses and punish them. Players aren't like bots. They are not random and usually repeat the same approaches and moves.

Learn the match-up, watch tourney plays online. See what that character can do, so you can figure out ways to get around it.
That's honestly the best advice I can give

SleeplessInKyoto

Smash Apprentice
Strengths - Peach's neutral game is ridiculously good. With float allowing you to perfectly space out attacks, Toad as a punishing tool, long range F-smashes and so on, Peach has a lot of tools in neutral to create reads, force commitments, pressure shields etc. Her entire kit revolves around playing mindgames with your opponent, with particular emphasis on mid-range. Her edge guard is also phenomenal making her a real threat if you get knocked off stage.

Weaknesses - Float can be punished, and if you knock a Peach out of float then she won't be able to use it for recovery. Peach's close range sucks compared to most characters. With the exception of D-Smash, her attacks are easily shielded/dodged. Similarly, her long range really sucks because turnips take time to set up by which if you're playing any character with a good projectile you can pressure Peach for free. If Peach gets into mid-range then she has options to exploit her powerful neutral game, but otherwise her close range and particularly her long range options are quite sub-par compared to what other characters can do.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I would be careful when spot dodging peach's attacks as they end sooner then you think. I would not recommend spot dodging or rolling because dair covers both options. turnips are also a thing that she can use to actually force you to stop from long range because its so dangerous as a tool. You can punish float but you must be careful about that because she can simply float and do nothing to get a rise out of you from even a far.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
wow - most post I agree with spot on. you can tell that majority of the posts say that peach is weak while falling down. hahaha. if you got the chance to hit her that sends her up. that's your moment.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Camp her.

I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet. She's slow moving, tall, with no reflector. It might not beat her outright, as any good Peach will know how to move in and get inside, but camping is a struggle due to her inherent design and what she will always be weak to. This also neutralizes float, which is her biggest asset.

I think that's her only big glaring problem. She's floaty and has problems being juggled, so capitalize on that when you can. And her range isn't ridiculous so sword fighters can use their own range to keep her out. But she is very strong and has an item - when she's not being shutdown by camping, I think she can always win.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
this isnt brawl, camping isnt that viable of a option in sm4sh
She's sluggish, with no reflector, and a low-reward, slow-charging projectile. Camping is a real obstacle for her to work through, and a problem for slow, but hardhitting characters like her, DK, Luigi, Charizard all have to deal with as one of their weaknesses.

Last edited:

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
She's sluggish, with no reflector, and a low-reward, slow-charging projectile. Camping is a real obstacle for her to work through, and a problem for slow, but hardhitting characters like her, DK, Luigi, Charizard all have to deal with as one of their weaknesses.
I would say the best option would be just pressure her massively. I find camping not as useful in sm4sh as it was in brawl.

DK and the rest of the heavy weight have problems with every matchup, theyre just combo food.
I dont know why you'd say that about luigi though, luigi is good in sm4sh his aerial game could best peach's

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
That turnip of hers does a lot more then you think. She's like a different character with a turnip. Camping her out works a bit but she can still get in pretty quick with her movement options. While she's being camped she should be using float to maneuver through projectiles instead of blatantly running into her enemies.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm curious to hear which characters people think counter Peach.

Ladyspiker

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6235-1432-1920
Although I disagree with low-reward (a vegetable can always help, especially if she pulls out of a rare item), I agree with everything else. This is very difficult for me in For Glory since the lag makes it hard to time everything precisely (usually I end up switching to Rosalina for campy characters because it's a huge hassle to deal with them as Peach).

Characters that have good reach can be an issue sometimes too.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
aaaa a well read counter can kill to BTW
Oooops: wrong thread!

Last edited:

AVeryPatientPlayer

Smash Rookie
NNID
APatientPlayer
Are there any tools as Captain Falcon I can use against Peach? I can't find any specific information with the match-up and I really need to know what moves I can use safely against her.

I don't know when or what attacks I can use out of shield, because a lot of Peach mains ALWAYS manages to use either of the following against my shield:

• Float->DAir->DAir->NAir(landing)->Spam Slaps (I almost lose my shield here :/ )
  • Side B->FAir (I don't like how Side B is safe on shield)
  • Float->DAir->NAir(landing)->DTilt (how does her DTilt work? )
I would prefer not to try and change characters as an option to Peach, as I want to learn what to do in each match-up as Falcon. That would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Ladyspiker

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6235-1432-1920
Side B is safe on shield but not on dodge. Dodge it if you can (it's not too hard, I think).

How about CF's Uair against Peach's Dair? I don't know the technicalities, but I've battled quite a few CF's and I've learned NOT to challenge CF's Uair when he is below me. Also, from what I've seen, other Peach players have trouble with CF's Uair too.

Peach's DTilt is pretty amazing and usually a combo-starter, so avoid its range at all costs.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Against captain falcon I think obtaining stage control is best because she can gimp you easily. Also up air is terrifying for peach since its so good and kills at high percents. You can always close the gap when she gets a turnip too. In this match just about anything combos and you can easily be caught in her dthrow nair reset shenanigans.

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
Play Peach. Best way to find out how to beat a character is to play the character yourself until you understand the timing.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Diddy kong would be doable if his fair wasn't ridiculous. Its not his hoo ha in this case.

Top Bottom