• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach - The optimal teammate?

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Since coming to Georgia, I've teamed with several Peaches. At first I kinda did the same as I always did in teams (which is poorly), but recently my teammates and I have started developing a better understanding of how to make this team work. I'd say that it really shows some promise, and it looks like Germ agrees with me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWbFUKKnCAc&list=PL5n6M_nMn9OM6ngK41NQQtrWoHfnM09Xk&index=31

What makes the team good, in my opinion, is the sheer projectile control that both characters are capable of. Peach's turnips plus Link's bombs and boomerang gives the team access to three of the best projectiles in the game. In the 2v1, it's nearly impossible for the opponent to get anything started when faced with a wall of projectiles, as well as the floaty and fast-faller punish games that Link and Peach are capable of, respectively. Both characters are also incredibly difficult to kill, and they can cover each other's laggy moves with projectile throws.

The team seems to really falter against opposing teams including Jigglypuff. Peach loses that matchup convincingly, and Link takes a long time to churn through Puff in neutral, time that he really doesn't have in a doubles match. He can wall her out well enough, but then you're just relying on your Peach winning the opposing 1v1. Double Fox and Fox/Falcon also looks problematic just because of how bad the individual matchups are for Peach and Link.

Thoughts? Any of you teamed with Peach recently and enjoyed the experience?

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I wish I could help, but the Peach player here doesn't play Melee competitively. He plays PM. I've mostly teamed with Puff actually, which is a weird team in itself. But the team Link Peach does look promising, and it makes sense that it would be a projectile based stage control team. Since PM and Melee Peach are close to the same, I'll see if I can team with him to experience the team.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
A team with 0 mobility will get rekt by double fox.
Not gonna lie, double Fox is probably the hardest team for Peach-Link to go against. But they're also one of those candidates for "best team in all of melee," so that's to be expected. Low mobility isn't as much of a problem as you might think, so long as Link and Peach can avoid getting separated too much. Four players take up a lot of the stage, and Fox's high mobility only really matters if they can get in between Link and Peach, where they can just force quick 2v1's or lopsided 1v1's.

Really I think the biggest problem about double Fox is that they just kill everyone so early. Peach and Link immediately lose all the advantages of their inherent durability, and one grab from either Fox can easily be converted into an up smash finisher. Rough.

Thor

Smash Champion
I think Link Fox and Link Falcon are Link's two best teammates. Link Fox is just taking the best doubles character and putting it with Link, but you also have the fact that saving Fox is somewhat feasible [bombs and boomerangs and arrows ALL can help Fox recover, and you can also help him out with your up+b when offstage, and then if he SDIs down he can use FireFox and burn you with the fire to get another up+...], and while Fox rarely has problems securing KOs, he can convert uairs off your uairs and watch them die. Similarly, Link can save Falcon extremely well, and Falcon can combo fair off any uairs you have. Falcon is actually probably a bit easier to save than Fox, and Link Falcon as a team is also just really really heavy.

I feel like on paper Link Peach is simply too slow to keep up with double Fox and would indeed struggle vs Jigglypuff, two issues that Link Fox and Link Falcon can get around much better, but Peach is a very strong teams character and so Link Peach is still likely a smart pick [especially if you can take them to FoD].

Top Bottom